Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4974 Discussions

Firmware Error with X552/x557-AT

orgel
Beginner
Hello! I have a problem with the firmware similar to that in this thread (also a Supermicro x10sdv-8c-tln4f board, running Linux): https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-X552-x557-AT-Can-t-drive/m-p/1302912 The Message is: ixgbe 0000:03:00.0: Warning firmware error detected FWSM: 0x00300000 ixgbe 0000:03:00.0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid I contacted Supermicro and they kindly sent me a package with firmware a tool to flash the firmware. Now I get the following output: | 533> ./10GUpdate.sh | | Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool | NVMUpdate version 1.32.3.3 | Copyright (C) 2013 - 2018 Intel Corporation. | | Config file read. | Error: Config file ETrackId doesn't match NVM image version | [config: 0x800006B7, image: 0xFFFF0002]. Looks to me, as if the version of the flashed image is also unreadable. What possibilities do I have as this point? Is it safe, to modify the version in the configuration file? Best regards, Thomas
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for late response.

I would not suggest to change the nvmupdate.cfg, as installing an image that is not specifically for that hardware can cause damage to the NIC.

Since this is a Supermicro OEM device, then Supermicro will need to be ones to handle this issue.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since you have already refer to other communities.

Please provide the details below for us to further check and investigate the issue

-Are you using this system model(Supermicro x10sdv-8c-tln4f)

-The SuperMicro team provide Intel firmware or their OEM firmware

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
orgel
Beginner

Hello!

Please provide the details below for us to further check and investigate the issue

-Are you using this system model(Supermicro x10sdv-8c-tln4f)

-The SuperMicro team provide Intel firmware or their OEM firmware

Yes, this is exactly the Situation. EFI and BMC are on the latest version.

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Since you are using SuperMicro system with Intel Onboard NIC. They should have their own optimized firmware and procedure to ensure the system is 

running in the best working condition.

You might provide them your concern. They are still the best team to assist you.

You may refer this link to get Download the Latest Drivers and Utilities, and also click on Support to reach customer service:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SDV-8C-TLN4F

By the way, this is quick guide for Intel® Ethernet NVM Update Tool.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088451/ethernet-products.html 

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
orgel
Beginner

@JunAn_Intel wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Since you are using SuperMicro system with Intel Onboard NIC. They should have their own optimized firmware and procedure to ensure the system is 

running in the best working condition.

You might provide them your concern. They are still the best team to assist you.

That's what I did already, but that wasn't the question.

I can't flash the firmware because of this error:

> Error:   Config file ETrackId doesn't match NVM image version [config: 0x800006B7, image: 0xFFFF0002].

The question is: may I change the entry "EEPID: 800006B7" in nvmupdate.cfg to "EEPID: FFFF0002" to solve the problem?

Next question: there is a possible keyword "REPLACES" for nvmupdate.cfg. Is this a solution?

May I brick the board in any case? Or will it just harm the X552?

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
orgel
Beginner

Hello?

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for late response.

I would not suggest to change the nvmupdate.cfg, as installing an image that is not specifically for that hardware can cause damage to the NIC.

Since this is a Supermicro OEM device, then Supermicro will need to be ones to handle this issue.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
orgel
Beginner

Supermicro wants the board serviced; this is not possible

due to various reasons and economically not sensible.

However, I do have a specific firmware for the NIC. And the  NIC is unoperational anyway.

This can't get worse. The only question is: may flashing harm board or cpu (for the  NIC

is contained in the cpu).

I mentioned Intel-Ethernet-Connection-X552-x557-AT-Can-t-drive.

Same problem, but the thread was closed without any results...

Best Regards, Thomas

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hi Thomas,

We cannot advice about this issue as We cannot determine whether it affects other than the NIC because it is not Intel firmware.

Just a reminder, Flashing the incorrect firmware might screw up your system. You can do it at your own discretion and risk.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello Thomas,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a soft follow up to check if you still have questions or clarifications. We will wait for your reply.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello Thomas,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a soft follow up to check if you still have questions or clarifications. We will wait for your reply. As such, we will be closing your case.

If you want to continue support, please reply to this email and we will reopen your case or create a new one so that we can continue to support you.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
orgel
Beginner

Hello JunAn_Intel!

Let me resume:

• I have an firmware-file, documentation and a tool to flash the firmware from supermicro. Exactly for the named "x10sdv-8c-tln4f" board. The onboard X552/X557-AT has a corrupt firmware.
  • While trying to flash the NICs firmware the following error occured: "Config file ETrackId doesn't match NVM image version [config: 0x800006B7, image: 0xFFFF0002]."
  • My interpretation: firmware is corrupt. 0xFFFF0002 doesn't look like a valid version number
  • Supermicro says: "don't know, what this means, contact Intel"
  • My question: how to override and how secure is overriding?
  • Is "REPLACES:" a possible option in nvmupdate.cfg to flash a valid firmware?

So: I want to use an Intel Software to flash an Intel firmware to a NIC that is embedded in an Intel Xeon D1541 SOC.

I get an error from an Intel software and I ask Intel for the implications and further possibillities.

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos