Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5030 Discussions

Firmware version vs family firmware version on Dell servers

scuthber1
Beginner

I have a question, as I'm a bit confused. Attempting to check my Dell servers against the VMware HCL and a lot of them have Intel NICs in them. I am confused about the firmware versions that are being reported via the iDRAC versus esxcli.

For example, I have a 4-port X710, which the DRAC dies not report the firmware on, but "esxcli network nic get" reports the firmware as 5.05 0x80002919 1.1313.0.

The integrated Intel 4P X710 reports "Family Firmware Version" as 18.8.9, Driver Version 1.8.6, but esxcli says Firmware Version: 6.80 0x80003d74 18.8.9.

There's also a 4P I350-T that iDRAC says is "Family Firmware Version" 18.0.17, but esxcli says Firmware version: 1.67.0:0x80000dd1:18.0.17.

Can somebody please explain what all this means? Particularly the first one!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello scuthber1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

Regarding your question: Confusion between the reporting of firmware versions via iDRAC versus esxcli.

iDRAC and ESXi's esxcli tool may pull firmware information from different sources within the system. Thus, they will have a different reporting format as well since they interacts differently as well.

Could you please confirm both your iDRAC and ESXi host have the latest firmware updates installed. Outdated firmware can sometimes lead to reporting inaccuracies.

I would also would like to know the specific product name of Intel X710 that you are using.

In order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Best regards,

Hayat_Intel

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello scuthber1,

Regarding your thread, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
scuthber1
Beginner

Thanks Hayat_Intel,

Unfortunately versions are not up to date, because I'm undertaking a VMware hardware compatibility assessment for upgrade. I'd also like to know how I can install the Intel support utility for Windows on ESX - or it it possible to scan a remote system?

Scuthber

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello scuthber1,

Thank you for the replies.

Before that may I know the OS you are using currently.

If you are using windows please click on this guide on how to retrieve the SSU Logs.

For Linux, please go through this.

Please let us know the outcome after you have checked it and will be happy to assist if any other troubleshooting required for this issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello scuthber1,

Regarding your thread, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply to this thread to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello scuthber1,

This message is to inform you about the thread closure.

Once the thread is closed, it will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Kindly submit a new thread should you need further assistance. We will be more than glad to continue assisting you.

Best Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos