Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

FreeBSD/OPNsense igb issue with I211-AT embedded nics, link gone sometimes, only ifconfig d/u fixes it

WFisc1
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm doing intensive testing of OPNsense (firewall solution based on FreeBSD 11.0/11.1) with a device from Jetway with 10 embedded i211-AT NICs: http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/JBC390F541AA.html JBC390F541AA :: HBJC390F541AA19B :: Intel Celeron Bay Trail J1900 3.5" SBC Barebone :: JETWAY COMPUTER CORP.

From time to time, the link is not responding any more. E.g. a ping to a neighbor system does not work any more. I do not get any hints in log files.

Only doing a "ifconfig igbX down" followed by a "ifconfig igbX up" fixes the issue.

I did extensive testing which I have documented here:

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=5511.0 WAN link gone sometimes (igb driver, I211 nics), ifconfig d/u fixes it (forum.opnsense.org)

As I'm still seeing this issue from time to time, I'd like to ask this question here in case that anybody else has ever seen this issue before.

Best regards,

Werner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Wefinet,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. Have you checked with Jetway as the I211 is embedded on the system. Please check with them if they have latest driver.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Wefinet,

Please feel free to update me. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
WFisc1
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

sorry for not replying for so long - somehow I did not get / did not see the notification email.

The driver for the NIC comes with FreeBSD. It it interesting to note that e.g. pfSense 2.3.2 (based on FreeBSD 10.3) did work, while OPNsense 17.7 (based on FreeBSD 11.0) or pfSense 2.4 (based on FreeBSD 11.0) have those networking issues. I kept on trying to fix it, we also got modified BIOS versions from Jetway, but in the end I was not able to solve the issue. Maybe it somehow related with the J1900 CPU - I don't know for sure.

We then used another system for this purpose.

Just in case that you have any ideas, you are free to let me know.

Best regards,

Werner

0 Kudos