Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Getting 10Mbps Full Duplex support back for 10Gbps adapter?

kmkreon
Beginner

Hello,

I recently bought an Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 2P X550-t dual-port ethernet card, hoping that it would support all the possible Speed&Duplex configurations.

Unfortunately, it seems to have abandonned the "10Mbps Full Duplex" option for "Speed & Duplex" configuration.

I absolutely need it to support some 3D laser scanner whose communication protocol requires 10Mbps Full Duplex exclusively.

The only available values for the X550 ethernet card's "*SpeedDuplex" registry key are:

• 0 = "Auto Negotiation"
  • 4 = "100 Mbps Full Duplex"
  • 6 = "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex"
  • 2500 = "2.5 Gbps Full Duplex"
  • 5000 = "5 Gbps Full Duplex"
  • 7 = "10 Gbps Full Duplex"

Is there any chance (registry hack or new Windows driver) that I can set "*SpeedDuplex" back to 2 = "10Mbps Full Duplex"?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello kmkreon,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Please send photos of the Intel(R) Ethernet X550-T on both sides of the card for us to validate the markings and check if the card is an OEM.
  2. What is your OS?
  3. Can you share the link of the driver that you are using?
  4. Can you chare a screenshot of the issue?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
kmkreon
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thank you for replying.

1. Actually, we recently bought three PCs from Dell (Precision 3650), all equiped with the additional same dual-port Ethernet card. Here are attached the requested pictures (intel{1|2}.jpg).

2. Two PCs use up-to-date Windows 10 Pro and one uses Windows 11 Pro. All have the same problem.

3. Actually, I did not download&install any driver. I trusted Microsoft's Windows Update when it told me that there were no newer driver than 4.1.219.0 (June 19 ,2020) by Intel. Would you have another driver download link to suggest?

4. See attached SpeedDuplex.png. Our 3D scanning device was not designed to work with any other speed&duplex than 10 Mbps Full Duplex. So, normally, after setting the proper IP address and Speed&Duplex on the PC's ethernet interface, we can communicate with the device. But, in this case, there is no choice for "10 Mbps Full Duplex" in the network interface properties. I tried forcing the choice to *SpeedDuplex=2 in Registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002", but it did not work.

I even tried adding a new string "2"="10 Mbps Full Duplex" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002\Ndi\Params\*SpeedDuplex\enum". The driver properties showed my new choice, but that did not eventually work.

P.S.: I would like to add that I am not only looking for a solution for those three computers. I can use the built-in ethernet interface of the motherboard, which has an Intel I219-LM chip that works fine. My request is rather for our customers who might have problems using their device in the future if they update their PC to one with a 10G ethernet interface that would not support anymore the lowest rates.

Best regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello kmkreon,

Thank you for the prompt reply. We have a generic driver that you can try. This was released on 12/23/2021. Kindly download the driver here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html?wapkw=x550-t1

And kindly follow our clean driver installation procedure to make sure that there is no traces of the old driver in the cache.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

Please update us after trying the procedure and if there are any changes. However, if you are still having the same issue. Please generate the SSU for your system for us to further check the issue.

Download the utility here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?wapkw=SSU

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
kmkreon
Beginner

Hello Michael,

I am afraid the suggested driver does not work for my Dual-Ethernet card, at least on my Windows 11 PC.

As suggested, I uninstalled the current driver, for both ethernet interfaces: "Intel(R) Ethernet X550-T" and "Intel(R) Ethernet X550-T #2".

Then I when I ran your latest Wired_driver_26.8_x64.exe, I got an error message in French (see attachment) that would translate to "No Network connections found on this computer. No drivers were installed."

I even downloaded and tried to install the large "Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack" 26_8.zip; but I quickly got the very same error message.

EDIT: I add the SSU generated file for network+OS. But it shows the driver you made me uninstall as Windows 11 automatically restored them as soon as I reconnected to the Internet.

Best regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
kmkreon
Beginner

Hello again Michael,

After my unsuccessful attempt on my Win11 PC, I tried with my colleague's Win10 PC (same PC, different OS).

He successsfully installed the driver (see attached full SSU file); but the new driver unfortunately offers the same limited options as the default one.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello kmkreon,

Thank you for trying our last recommendations. I will have these details checked and please give us 2 to 3 working days to provide an update on this.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello kmkreon,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update. First of all, we validated the markings of the network card and found out that the card is an OEM and the manufacturer of the card is Dell.

And upon further checking your request, It is best to contact the adapter manufacturer which is Dell because if you are is requesting to modify a driver, the modifications and approval should be coming from them as it is already tailored for their adapters. Any modification may affect the other functionality, reliability and performance of the card.

Kindly contact Dell for further assistance in the driver to add the "10Mbps Full Duplex" option.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

kmkreon
Beginner

Thank you Michael. I will contact Dell.

Generally speaking, I would like to advise network card manufacturers to keep compatibility with older technologies... unless it is not possible technically, of course.

There are many industries in which "planned obsolescence" was not "planned"...

Best regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello kmkreon,

Thank you for quick reply. We will take note of your comment and we are glad that you will now contact Dell for further assistance. Since you are now going to contact Dell, we will now close this thread and case and if you need our assistance again in the future, please don't hesitate to post another question.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos