Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Gigabit CT Desktop Adaptor has six IRQ assignments

MikeRubin
Novice

I have an Intel Gigabit CT desktop adaptor in a Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10. Driver is Microsoft because Intel doesn't offer one. It is in a pcie slot and the motherboard adaptor is disabled in the BIOS.

I suffer daily random restarts. Usually, the Dell Supportassist software just points out an address for whatever caused the crash , but this time it specifically identified the ethernet card as the source. I checked the card properties, confirmed that I have the latest Microsoft driver from 2016, and then checked properties. I discovered that this card has six irq assignments! Is this expected and normal?

I ask because Windows itself used to provide error messages about the BSOD's. I turned them off because they never were the same message twice in a row, but recall that irq conflicts were among the reasons in the rotation.

I am a consumer and probably won't understand a IT-pro-level explanation, but wonder if the card's use of six rq's is something that could be causing this problem.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Caguicla_Intel
Hello MMike3, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Kindly share the following details for us to check on your query: 1.) System Support Utility(SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below. a- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- b- Open SSU.exe c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". d- When finished scanning, click "Next". e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. 2.) Have you tried the adapter on another slot of the system? 3.) Please go to device manager, open select VIEW from the toolbar menu and then click Resources by Type for the IRQ assignments of the device. Looking forward to your response. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice

Thank you for your response.

I attach the file you requested.

The adaptor is in the only pcie slot available, so I have not tried it elsewhere.

I attach a screenshot of the IRQ assignments in device manager.

Please let me know if you need more information.IRQ Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello MMike3, Thank you for the reply. We will check on the provided details and give you an update as soon as there is any findings. Hoping for your patience. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello MMike3, Thank you for the patience on this matter. Please check and follow the details below and give us an update for the result after checking: 1.) Make sure that the adapter is firmly seated in the PCIe slot. 2.) After checking the BIOS version from SSU log, we double checked it on Dell website that the system is running on its latest version. 3.) Perform a clean installation of the network driver. a.) Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver [23.5.2] from Intel® Download Center: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=50395 b.) In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter and Uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device". c.) Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device (Note: MS inbox drivers can be uninstalled but not deleted). d.) Reboot the PC. e.) Install the Intel Network driver and reboot the PC again. You may also visit this link for the Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006709/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Looking forward to your response. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice

As I mentioned in my initial post, I am using the Windows 10 system driver for this network card because Intel does not make a driver for it.

Despite what the download page says, the Intel Driver Package does NOT support this card. However, per your instructions, I tried deleting the Microsoft driver, but, as I expected, was unable to do so because MS drivers cannot be deleted. I also downloaded and ran the Intel Driver Package as you asked, but it shut down with this error message: "Cannot install drivers. No Intel Adapters are present in this computer."

I just now checked the IRQ assignments again. I still have six interrupts assigned to this one card.

IRQs.PNG

I assume that this is not a normal state, but, using Google, I can't find anyone else who's discussed having this problem and can't find anything on the Intel website that addresses this.

Thank you for your efforts.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MMike3,

Thank you for the reply.

I understand that you can't update the driver as there is an error while running the Driver package. Please provide the details below as this would help us to further isolate the issue.

1.) Is this a newly built system?

2.) When was the issue first encountered?

3.) Is there any software or hardware changes prior to the issue?

4.) Have you tried the adapter on a different slot? If not yet, please give it a try and check if the issue would still occur.

5.) Would it be possible to try the Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter in a different type of computer? (this will help us discard OS configuration, motherboard, BIOS issues)

6.) Have you tried checking with dell if the Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter is compatible with your system?

7.) Try disabling the on-board NIC from the BIOS and check if this helps.

8.) Have you tried using only the on-board controller?

9.) Just to double check, you've mentioned on your initial post that 'it is in a pcie slot and the motherboard adaptor is disabled in the BIOS', can you share if the adapter is now enabled on the BIOS?

While we're waiting for your reply, we will also check the the error message that you got while installing the Intel driver package.

Thank you for your time and cooperation on this matter.

We look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mmike3,

We've checked the error you encountered while installing the driver. Unfortunately, there is no Intel Windows 10 driver for the Gigabit CT desktop adapter, the available Windows driver is the inbox (built-in driver) from Microsoft*. 

Moving forward, the IRQs should not be an issue with random restarts and having the high numbers does not affect the system functionality. Kindly check the details below if it will make any changes.

1. Power saving options on the network card: Disable these and please confirm if you are not in the windows power saving or on the Ethernet configuration.

2. Cabling: If you haven't tried changing this, then we would advise trying a brand new cable. We are not sure why it wouldn't cause other computers to fail but it's worth a try. 

We would appreciate if you can sharer the information that we requested on our previous post.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice
Yes, my original post pointed out that I am using the Windows driver because there is no Intel Windows 10 driver. I was not surprised that the driver updater did not work. I do not understand this: > > Moving forward, the IRQs should not be an issue with random restarts and having the high numbers does not affect the system functionality. Kindly check the details below if it will make any changes. Are you saying that there is no problem with the network card occupying multiple interrupts? If not, can you please clarify what you meant? The network card does not have a separate power setting, but it is in a pcie slot that has power saving disabled. I have tried different cables and router ports and they do not make a difference. Also, you asked some questions earlier. Here are my responses: CrisselleC_Intel (Intel) Even though it is possible to have multiple IRQ's for a network adapter, it is not normal to have 6 or more IRQ's. The IRQ's are assigned by the Windows* OS, based on the information from the Motherboard's BIOS, they are not manageable by the user. Please provide the details below as this would help us to further isolate the issue. 1.) Is this a newly built system? >>>No. I bought this computer in 2014. 2.) When was the issue first encountered? >>>I have had the daily random restarts for about a month. I only noticed that the nic had six interrupts the day that I posted my question. 3.) Is there any software or hardware changes prior to the issue? >>>Not that I recall. 4.) Have you tried the adapter on a different slot? If not yet, please give it a try and check if the issue would still occur. >>>I have not. I only had one unoccupied pcie slot and am reluctant to move this to another slot where my soundcard is. I will do so if all other troubleshooting fails. 5.) Would it be possible to try the Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter in a different type of computer? (this will help us discard OS configuration, motherboard, BIOS issues) >>>Unfortunately, no. I only have this desktop computer and, as I am retired, I don't have access to office computers. My friends only have laptops or tablets. 6.) Have you tried checking with dell if the Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter is compatible with your system? >>>Yes. Dell says it is compatible. 7.) Try disabling the on-board NIC from the BIOS and check if this helps. >>>As I stated in my original question, I disabled the onboard nic in bios. 8.) Have you tried using only the on-board controller? >>>>Yes, I did. It was not particularly stable. The gigabit CT adapter was recommended as a replacement for onboard cards when I was researching upgrades. Please let me know if you need more information from me. - Mike
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MMike3,

Thank you for the response.

We will further check on this and give you an update as soon as there is any findings.

Hoping for your patience on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MMike3,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please be informed that the multiple IRQ assignment seen is due to Message Signal Interrupt (MSI, MSI-X) standard supported by the adapter and the PCIe slot . MSI, MSI-X allows assignment of multiple IRQs to enable load balancing across multiple CPU cores.

Kindly look into the details below for us to further isolate the random restarts issue.

1.) Try the CT Desktop on another PCIe slot

2.) Perform a Fresh installation of the OS then install the CT adapter

3.) Kindly give us an additional details on the issue encountered with the onboard adapter, if it is the same symptoms with the CT adapter, the problem could be related to the OS or system.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice
Thank you for this.  I am glad to know that the multiple interrupt issue is not unusual. I am leaving tomorrow for a month-long vacation and won't be back at home until early July. I will then move the nic to a different slot if I can and will perform a clean reinstall of the OS.  If that does not resolve the issue, I will touch base with you again.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MMike3,

Thank you for the reply. If that's the case then, we will make a follow up on July 8 to check if the the issue was resolved.

Have a nice vacation!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MMike3,

Good day and I hope you had a great vacation!

We would like to check if you already tried our recommendations. Please give us an update on this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice
Thank you, but, no, I have extended my time away from home for at least two more weeks. I may or may not be willing to to reinstall the OS as that is so time-consuming and can create other problems. I will try the other suggestions first. - Mike Rubin
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MMike3,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I understand that reinstalling the OS is not a good option for you. We will wait for your update once you tried our other suggestions.

We will make another follow up after two weeks.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

How are you today?

We'd like to check if you already tried our other recommendations. Kindly give us an update on this matter.

We look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice

Thank you for checking in. I will be out of town at least two more weeks, so can't try anything until at least the first week of August. I will let you know what I find after I have settled in at home.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We will wait for your update once you've tried the other recommendation and check again on the second week of August. 

Have a lovely day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Good day!

W are sending this follow up to check if you have tried our other recommendations. Kindly give us an update of the result after trying it out. 

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos