Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Gigabit CT Desktop Adaptor has six IRQ assignments

MikeRubin
Novice

I have an Intel Gigabit CT desktop adaptor in a Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10. Driver is Microsoft because Intel doesn't offer one. It is in a pcie slot and the motherboard adaptor is disabled in the BIOS.

I suffer daily random restarts. Usually, the Dell Supportassist software just points out an address for whatever caused the crash , but this time it specifically identified the ethernet card as the source. I checked the card properties, confirmed that I have the latest Microsoft driver from 2016, and then checked properties. I discovered that this card has six irq assignments! Is this expected and normal?

I ask because Windows itself used to provide error messages about the BSOD's. I turned them off because they never were the same message twice in a row, but recall that irq conflicts were among the reasons in the rotation.

I am a consumer and probably won't understand a IT-pro-level explanation, but wonder if the card's use of six rq's is something that could be causing this problem.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
MikeRubin
Novice
Hello, Crisselle. Thank you for reaching out. I have been home a few days. I was able to look at this issue again when I returned here. I removed the adaptor from its original slot as you suggested and moved it to the only other PCIE slot in the computer. There, it continues to take up six IRQ's. Also, the system crashes routinely, at least once or twice a day. According to the message on the BSOD, the crashes generally are due to IRQ issues. I haven't decided whether I will buy another ethernet adaptor, reinstall Windows, or just buy another computer when my remodeling project is completed later this year. I am skeptical that we can get this ethernet card to work with this particular computer. Thanks for your help. - Mike
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

We appreciate your quick response.

Can you share the exact message on the BSOD? This would help us in further checking the issue.

We will wait for your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice
It varies, but the most frequent one is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." If others pop up in the next day or two, I will forward those, as well.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

Please allow us to check on this further and we'll give you an update within 1-3 business days. We will also wait for your update once other message about BSOD pops up.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

You mentioned before that you tried using the on-board controller only but is was not particularly stable. Can you share what was the issue you encountered? It could be the motherboard that is the problem. Have you tried contacting Dell regarding this issue?

Out of the 3 options you mentioned (buy another card, reinstall OS or buy another computer), OS installation is the most cost-effective to try prior to moving with another card or computer.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Good day!

We'd like to follow up the information that we requested on our previous post. Kindly send us an update on this matter.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice

Strange. I responded immediately by email to your last request, but it does not appear that you received my email. Here is what I said:

I can't remember what the specific error messages were with the onboard controller, but I remember that I bought the Intel PCIE card after seeing internet posts about solutions to problems with the onboard controllers. I had near-daily BSOD's, I believe.

I haven't taken this up with Dell as the unit is long out of warranty. 

I might reinstall Windows but I have done that before and it's quite time-consuming, even with backups. Apps must be reinstalled and the settings recreated. License codes need to be re-entered. I never quite get the same setup restored. It's an old computer and it might just be time to replace it.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, we haven't received your last reply so we made a follow up.

I understand that reinstalling the OS would be time consuming. But since the onboard controller is also having a BSOD issue, the problem might be related to the motherboard. And as you mentioned, the computer is old already and might just be time to replace it.

If it happens that you now have a different system available, you might also want to consider trying the adapter on that system and check if the issue would still occur.

We will wait for your reply and we'll also further check for other recommendations on our end that might help in resolving the issue.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MikeRubin
Novice

Sorry, but I don’t have access to other desktop systems. Trump am traveling again later this month. If I do reinstall Windows, I Willis do so when I return mid-September.

Thanks for your efforts.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

You are welcome.

I hope that reinstalling the OS would fix the issue. We'd also like to double check if you want to keep the support case open for the OS re-installation update.

Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, please do not hesitate to post a new question.

Have a lovely vacation!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Good day!

Please be informed that we will now proceed closing this request. Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, feel free to post a new question.

Just in case you want to keep this request open, you may post a reply to this thread.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos