Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Gigabit Ethernet driver not installing

ARoga
Beginner

Version 22.9 not installing (or not being flagged as installed ?)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, the package is successfully installing, but the tool is not properly recognizing that fact (it is comparing driver version number against package version number, which will never match).

This is a known issue. The tool team is aware of this problem and is working on a fix. Look for new release in WW11. In the meantime, you will just have to ignore this entry once you have installed it once. Same goes for other packages -- including the Ethernet package, the PROSet Wireless package, the HD Graphics package, etc. (essentially any that include multiple driver binaries) -- have the same issue and you will have to watch for them repeating as well.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ARoga
Beginner

Thx. I can't imagine why such an apparently basic error is taking so long to fix.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, if I had to hazard a guess, I would guess that they have a very small development team that is using the sprint model and they simply do not have the bandwidth to deliver separate out-of-band bug fix releases. Any bug fixes developed must wait for the next sprint to complete before they can be released.

Secondly, this is NOT a "basic error"; this is a very, very complicated problem. The only information available to the tool is the driver version number that Windows is reporting. The problem is that the driver version number does not uniquely identify the version of the package that was utilized to install it. The problem stems from the fact that the packages contain multiple drivers to handle different versions (including from different generations) of the hardware and that, for each unique hardware version, the driver will go through a unique set of iterations over time (based upon feature requirements and issues identified) and thus version numbers are never going to be in sync between drivers. This can be further exacerbated if individual driver releases are being made available through Windows Update (I would hope that this isn't happening because it removes completely the ability to work at the package level). To solve this kind of issue, the tool needs to have a huge database that details the driver versions that are found inside each individual package release and this database must be updated as each and every package release is made. This latter requirement presents its own set of challenges since these packages are coming from totally separate and independent organizations and the maintenance of this database could be (in the eyes of these other organizations) perceived to have a negative impact on their update delivery schedules.

...S

0 Kudos
ARoga
Beginner

This is one of the world's largest companies we are talking about. You expect them to get version control right. I have had problem after problem with this software (including errors trying to install Zip files which it obviously can't do).

0 Kudos