Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Gigabit Network Connection 82754L: Disabling All Traffic Generation

Jowers
Beginner

We're working on a point-to-point protocol where we disable NAPI and keep a ping-pong going between the links inside the Hard Interrupt context

I keep seeing random multicasts, it's very random, and that's after setting multicast and allmulticast off

I'm trying to figure out where in the code it's sending this multicast -- is it in the firmware?

Is there a way to disable it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jowers,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking you request.

1. What is the model of your motherboard? 

2. Current driver version of your Gigabit Network Connection 82754L?

3. Operating System used

4. Can you please share more details or elaborate your intended configuration?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jowers,

Good day!

This is just a follow up for the information that we requested in order to proceed checking your query. In case you need more time on this, please let us know and we will be glad to adjust our follow up date. 

Awaiting to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Jowers
Beginner

Thanks for the response!

Yeah so it's not connected to the motherboard directly, it's behind one or more PCIe switches

There's little information about the motherboard from the dmidecode output -- there's an Intel Celeron CPU?

The driver is e1000e 3.8.4, the operating system is Ubuntu 20+ with a non-standard kernel configuration -- Linux Kernel 5.4.0, mostly default configuration for x86_64

All userspace traffic sources are disabled (to my knowledge) 

The driver is in MSIX mode and I keep receiving interrupts holding a multicast-destination MAC (same one each time) with the source address saying it's from itself?  The source MAC address is the MAC address of the link that received it, and it doesn't pop up on the link-partner

So it seems like the firmware is writing to the DMA Buffer indicated in the Receive Descriptor at the index of the Receive Descriptor Tail

Very odd

Not a big deal -- I have no idea how old this hardware is, and so far it doesn't seem to be affecting the protocol demo

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jowers,

Thank you for the reply.

Since you mentioned that it's not connected to the motherboard directly, then we assume that you are using a discrete LAN card. With this, will you be able to share the PBA of the adapter as this will help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. 

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jowers,

How are you doing?

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our previous reply. If yes, kindly provide the information requested for us to continue the investigation. In case you need more time on this, please let us know and we will be glad to adjust our follow up date.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jowers,

Good day!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos