Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

HW Timestamps on XL710(40G)

Cloud
Beginner

We need hardware timestamps that each RX/TX packet should be appended with.
We are going to use XL710(Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for 40GbE QSFP+ rev 02).
So basically there are my queries:
1、Does XL710(40G) support the feature that hardware timestmaps on RX/TX Per-Packet?
2、If the preceding features are supported, how can we obtain the hardware timestamps of each received and sent packets?

Please help me if in this regard.
Regards,
Cloud.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Cloud,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me check. Are you designing a system with embedded XL710?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Cloud
Beginner

Hi Michael L,

Based on the EulerOS, the hardware timestamp of the XL710 NIC is used for a performance test. The socket of the Linux OS is used to attempt to obtain the hardware receiving and sending timestamp, but the obtaining fails. For details about the parameter setting, see https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/timestamping.txt.

In addition, use DPDK (version 20.08) to obtain hardware timestamps based on XL710 NICs. When device information is obtained, the timestamp receiving capability(DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_TIMESTAMP) is not supported. 

Thank you for your feedback,

Cloud

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Cloud,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific team for these issues and inquiries. Kindly open the link below and click "Access and Log In" to contact the DPDK support.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome.html

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos