Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Hardware timestamping for IEEE 1588 (PTP) via UDP not working with default values

MehTheHedgehog
Beginner

Hi,

We are currently working on PTP implementation using DPDK with Intel X520-DA2 (82599 Controller). We encountered an issue with default configuration of 82599 controller for UDP port number filter.

As stated in datasheets(8.2.3.26.6), register RXMTRL(31:16 bit) is default initialized to value 0x319 (dec: 793), but it should be 0x13F (dec: 319).

8.2.3.26.6 Rx Message Type Register Low — RXMTRL (0x05120; RW)

UDPT | 31:16 | 0x319 | UDP port number to time stamp.

This post is just informational for anyone looking for this problem.

Also we think this should be stated somewhere in datasheets (or errata) that this value is misconfigured and will not be working with default ptp implementations.

Regards,

Artur

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello MehTheHedgehog,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Regarding your inquiry, kindly open the link below on how you can access DPDK support.

Click the "Login and Access" to contact the DPDK support.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome.html

If you still have questions, please let us know. If there is no reply, is it okay if make a follow up after 3 business days?

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi MehTheHedgehog,

Thank you for posting on our Intel® Ethernet Communities page.

We have not received your response on this forum, and we are reaching out to check if you need more time.

Should we not hear from you, we will check back with you again after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello MehTheHedgehog,

I am sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
lexa
New Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to get hardware timestamping working with Intel NICs, but it's not working as advertised.

I use an Intel I210 adapter (Intel I210 server adapter) under Windows 11 (I'm not sure hardware timestamping is supposed to work on Windows 10, because to my knowledge Windows 10 is not supporting hardware timestamping, who has more information regarding Windows 10, please explain).

I use the latest Intel Ethernet complete driver pack 27.0 which lets me choose the I210 driver version 13.0.13.0 from January 31st 2022.

I have set "PTP Hardware Timestamp" to "Enabled". No matter if I choose "Disabled" or any other setting" for "Software Timestamp" calling Windows API function "GetInterfaceActiveTimestampCapabilities" fails with error "ERROR_BAD_DRIVER".

I think this is a bug in the I210 driver.

Could someone please comment on this?

Thank you.

Ossama-MOUSTAFA
New Contributor II

Hi @lexa

I have the same problem here, for GetInterfaceActiveTimestampCapabilities() ("ERROR_BAD_DRIVER")

Did you find any solution, please ? 

0 Kudos
lexa
New Contributor I

No, still the same, ERROR_BAD_DRIVER.

lexa
New Contributor I

Sorry, I think I posted to the wrong thread.

0 Kudos