Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Having issues with I225-V Ethernet Adapter

Paul_
Novice

I am running into issues with my Ethernet Adapter (Intel I225-V on an MSI Z590 motherboard) where it just suddenly stops working after a few  days. When it stops working, I am unable to even disable it or do anything with it within Device Manager on Windows. I was able to get it back working at one point by completely uninstalling the Device, restarting, and re-installing with the Intel Wired Driver 26.2 package. However, today it has suddenly stopped working overnight (was using it fine all day yesterday and last night until I locked my computer and came back this morning to non-working internet)

If I disable the device, it crashes Device Manager, but I can force a shutdown and upon startup of the PC, the device now shows as Disabled. If I Enable it, I have internet through it for a very short time period (15 to 30 seconds) before it unrecoverably fails again. If I attempt a shutdown using Windows it will stay on the Shutting Down screen for roughly 10 minutes before blue screening and giving me a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE stop code.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below feedback from our higher level support.

We believe that you already tried all the troubleshooting steps. Even different version of LAN drivers did not fix the issue. One thing that you may consider trying is clean OS installation. Fresh install the OS, install the chipset, LAN, graphics and audio then test it without any Windows updates. If it does work, possible that this could be windows update compatibility issue. If it still does not work without any Windows update, you may need to request for RMA.

With this, we'd like to check if this is doable on your end as fresh OS installation will require too much effort. If no, we highly recommend checking this issue again with MSI support.

Regarding the 'Interrupt Status: Failed' on hardware test, please be informed that this is just a cosmetic issue and there is no problem with the performance of the network card. This was investigated on thread below
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/I-219V-26-2-driver-failed-Hardware-Test-Interrupt-Status/m-p/1270099#M24727

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul_,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering issue on your I225-V Ethernet Adapter. For us to check your query, kindly provide the following information.

1. When was the issue first encountered?

2. Is there any software or hardware changes prior to the issue?

3. Is this a newly purchased motherboard? If no, for how long is the I225 connection working fine?

4. We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with MSI system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, please be informed that we may have a limited support on this one and it would be best if you can also get in touch with MSI for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

5. Can you confirm if you already tried the steps from links below?

Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

For the specifics on where to obtain NVM and driver, please contact MSI support for further assistance

MSI Service And Support

https://www.msi.com/support

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Paul_
Novice

Hello, thanks for responding. Answers are as follows:

1. It first happened about a week after getting the PC (purchased 7/25, first dropped on 8/1). I was able to just uninstall drivers and reinstall and it began working fine again until 8/6 which is when I opened this ticket.

2. No Software/Hardware changes

3. Yes, new motherboard, timeline as stated in #1

4. I did reach out to MSI, their only response was to RMA it, but I am hesitant to do so if I will just have this same problem on a new Mobo with the I225V Ethernet Adapter. I was not aware of all the issues with this adapter unfortunately.

5. I did come across this article however I can confirm my Adapter is Revision 3, which as far as I'm aware doesn't have the issues that the article refers to (as that was for Revision 2). I also can see my NVM Version is 1.57

It is worth noting that somehow it decided to start working again today. I had the PC shut off 8/7 and 8/8 and turned it back on today and enabled the Ethernet Adapter again (as I had it disabled while it wasn't working to use a USB adapter) and it is working fine. I'll see how long it can go this time.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Beginner

Just wanted to add to this thread - I too am seeing the same relentless disconnects from my i225-V in my ASUS Proart z490 Creator motherboard. 

To be clear - I am very aware of the procedure to upgrade the NVM firmware to 1.45 AND only use driver 1.0.1.4 with this board - and I am running with both of these changes - but this card still is posting a relentless set of "Error 27 disconnect" events to Event viewer.

The strangest part of this issue is the unexplained randomness of it all. Last night - I recorded at least 50 disconnect/reconnect messages within a period of maybe 45 minutes - then nothing for about an hour and then a few more scattered event entries.

What exactly is this interface doing one minute and then not the next to suddenly start dropping it's connection?

Not sure what else I can do outside of adding a PCIe NIC to this box and shut this I225-V off permanently.

My board was purchased in late 2020 and I believe the only recourse at this late stage would be to try and RMA the board but I am not looking forward to that experience especially with ASUS support.

Appreciate any other support or tips from the field on getting this LOB working correctly (and consistently).

Cheers

Sonic

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul_,

Appreciate your effort in providing the information requested.

Have you tried asking MSI support for troubleshooting steps that you can perform? You may consider checking with them the latest BIOS as well as drivers to see if it will help in resolving the issue. 

We can also try to check this with our engineers. However, please be reminded that we might have a limited support since you are using an OEM system. 

Additionally, can you share how often does the issue occur, Operating System used and advise if you already tried the drivers provided by your manufacturer? Have you also tried completely uninstalling the driver and use the inbox drivers from Microsoft?

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Hello Sonic,

We already replied to you on the other thread that you also commented and we will wait for your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul_,

Good day!

This is just a follow up message for the additional information requested for us to continue checking your query. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Paul_
Novice

Hi Crisselle,

The Adapter was working fine for a few days (since my last post) but has again stopped working this morning.

First, to answer your previous questions:

- The adapter works for about 4 days or so, and then is unrecoverable again (this has happened 4 times now)

- OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- I have used the drivers that are on the manufacturer site for my motherboard

- I have not tried the inbox Windows drivers, every time I boot Windows with no drivers installed it seems to grab the Intel drivers, any suggestions?

I have attempted some additional options because I think that the adapter only fails after I lock and unlock my computer. I think that there is some issue where the PC attempts to power down the adapter or something and then it is unable to come back up.

The options I have changed:

- Changing Speed/Duplex from Auto-Negotiate to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex to see if there was a negotiation issue

- Unchecking Power Management option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

- Unchecking Power Management option to "Allow this device to wake the computer"

I am reaching out to MSI Support again to see if they have any other steps I can attempt.

Thanks, Paul

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul_,

Thank you for the effort in providing the requested information.

We will patiently wait for your reply once you heard from MSI.

Regarding the Windows inbox driver, can you confirm if you tried performing clean driver installation based on steps below and skip step 8 to check if it will help fixing the issue? 

Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

If same issue was encountered using Windows inbox driver, you may also consider trying out our latest driver for Windows 10. This software may also apply to Intel® Ethernet Controllers similar to yours however, support for built-in network connections is still provided by the system or board manufacturer because they are still the best source of support.

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/25016/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

In case that issue still occurs after following troubleshooting steps from MSI (in case there is any) and clean driver installation of Intel Ethernet, kindly provide System Support Utility log from your system and refer to steps from link below as we will try checking this out with our engineers.

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility>Intel® System Support Utility Process>Windows* process

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/ethernet-products.html

Awaiting to hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Paul_
Novice

Hello,

I have still received no response from MSI.

As for your other suggestions:

- When uninstalling the driver and leaving no driver installed after reboot, the Ethernet Controller shows as an "other device" and says there is no driver for it to functions. Then within a minute of computer starting it self-installs the 1.0.2.13 driver. This again let the controller work again and I currently have connection through the controller. Though I'm unsure when it might stop working again and can update when it does.

- I previously attempted installing the 26.4 drivers from Intel site and upon installation the ethernet controller immediately stopped working, which is why I have been exclusively using the MSI ones which look to be same as the 26.2 drivers from Intel.

- I have downloaded the SSU and will run that and post results either today or tomorrow

Thanks!! Paul

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul_,

How are you doing?

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our previous message. If yes, kindly confirm and provide the information requested for us to continue the investigation. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the reply.

We will wait for the SSU logs so we can try to escalate this to our engineers for further checking. We would also appreciate if you can extract the SSU with your current driver version 1.0.2.13 (working on your system) as you mentioned on your update for us to check the driver provider.

Please also be reminded that we may have a limited support on this one since you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) system and we are only doing our best effort support to assist you on this matter.

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Paul_
Novice

Hello, I am attaching the SSU.

I had some more issues yesterday after locking my computer and installed the drivers on the MSI website for my motherboard. It does look like it installed 1.0.2.14 this time, which is weird, because it previously installed 1.0.2.13.

Additionally, I ran the hardware tests within the PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility and did notice that a hardware test is failing:

adapterhardwaretest.PNG

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to further investigate this query together with our higher level support. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below feedback from our higher level support.

We believe that you already tried all the troubleshooting steps. Even different version of LAN drivers did not fix the issue. One thing that you may consider trying is clean OS installation. Fresh install the OS, install the chipset, LAN, graphics and audio then test it without any Windows updates. If it does work, possible that this could be windows update compatibility issue. If it still does not work without any Windows update, you may need to request for RMA.

With this, we'd like to check if this is doable on your end as fresh OS installation will require too much effort. If no, we highly recommend checking this issue again with MSI support.

Regarding the 'Interrupt Status: Failed' on hardware test, please be informed that this is just a cosmetic issue and there is no problem with the performance of the network card. This was investigated on thread below
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/I-219V-26-2-driver-failed-Hardware-Test-Interrupt-Status/m-p/1270099#M24727

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Paul_
Novice

Thanks for all the additional info / steps and for the support thus far.

I had one day left in my return window so I returned the board to the retailer and purchased a new one (different MSI model but still has the I225-V Adapter in addition to a WiFi Adapter). So far I have had no issues with the new board after installing it on 8/24.

I think that was the best option as there did seem to be something wrong at a hardware level.

I believe this ticket can be closed and I will mark your latest reply as the solution as that is what I ended up going with.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the update and your kind understanding on this matter. 

We are glad to hear that you have had no issues with the new motherboard. We hope that you won't encounter any problems for it to run smoothly. 

We will now procced with closure as per your advise. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have an amazing weekend and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos