Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Help me make sense:VLAN, Hyper-V, Intel VMLB

idata
Employee

I have serious problems getting VLANS working on a Hyper-V host with an indel network card.

The hardware: * A router / switch (linux software bridge) which is a Mikrotik 1100 AH, Router OS 5.1 * A hyper-V server with a 4 port intel NIX * On the nic ther are 1-4 active ports (whend down to one to test) in a VMLB team using VMQ (but also tested without). This team is attached to a Hyper-V network, only (i.e. no management access).

So far:

•The network was used for all kinds of traffic without separation. This is a "setup" phase thing. We now need to move the traffic into different VLANS to isolate the virtual machine groups.

•The network works fine without VLAN. According to http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030993.htm http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030993.htm VMQ activation should automatically activate VLAN support on the virtual switch. Am I missing something?

•The network setup is: Connection type: External. Alloe Management OS is turned off.

•Aain, the whole thing works nice WITHOUT vlan.

•I now take one VM (a secondary DNS, external network card) and in the synthetic network adapter I turn on "enable virtual lan identification" and add the vlan id there (998).

•I add a vlan nic to the bridge group on the switch, identified with tag 998 and add the ip address to that.

•finally, i turn off all nic connections to the hyper-v server sans 1 (so I know exactly which port will be used)

•I torch (packet log) the ethernet interface. I see some vlan 998 traffic passing from the ethernet port on the mikrotik router. Namely ethernet 800 (ip) and 806 (arp). I take that the vlan is thus properly working on the router.

Here comes the clue: there is no traffic seemingly arriving on the virtual machine. The data seems just to be thrown away. That said, arp -a shows the mac address of the other end, so SOME stuff seems to go through.

Anyone an idea? The moment I remove the vlan again things "just tick".

1 Reply
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

What if you only configure the VLANs on the Hyper-V switch or the individual VMs. That is do not configure the VLAN on the team interface.

Mark H

0 Kudos