Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

High CPU Utilization With Downloads Post Windows 10 1903 Update

Kimboaticus
Beginner

Hello. I have a PC with an Asus motherboard with an onboard Intel I219-V NIC which connects to my switch and is used for general traffic. I also have an Intel Quad port Server adapter I340-T4 installed for connecting to my NAS via iSCSI. This setup was working fine for at least two years until I updated to build 1903 for windows 10. Since then, if *ANYTHING* is downloading from the internet that would take more than a few seconds, the SYSTEM process and\or the SYSTEM INTERRUPT process, will spike the CPU and everything grinds to a halt until the download completes or is paused. I figured it was likely a driver issue and sure enough, Intel had the driver software version 24.1 available which added support for 1903. I installed it and the drivers for the on board NIC updated but the I340-T4 continued to use Microsoft based drivers, dated 2018-06-12. So the problem persists and it doesnt seem to matter if I switch from the on board to one of the quad ports for general network traffic, so the issue isnt tied to a specific NIC. Also, it doesnt happen every time I download. Things seem to be ok for a day or so after a reboot and then the problem starts. According to the documentation for the Intel driver software 24.1, the I340-T4 card is included in the supported hardware list, which is why it seems odd that the drivers dont get updated for it. If I try to update the drivers for the I340-T4 manually, it doesnt accept the drivers in the 24.1 package. So, I am wondering if the issue is due to two kinds of Intel NICs with different driver versions causing some kind of issue? Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you share any data that shows high CPU utilization?

And also, since the issue was caused by Windows update.

Have you tried to check the installed updates that may have caused it or tried checking this with Microsoft?

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Kimboaticus
Beginner

Hello. If by data, you mean hard numbers as to CPU utilization, as I mentioned earlier, the SYSTEM or the SYSTEM INTERRUPTS goes to 100%. If I have video playing at the time, the playback breaks up. The mouse doesnt move correctly. Basically, everything that you would expect a computer to do when it is extremely busy. I can try to take a screen shot of Task Manager while its happening but I am not sure the system will be able to do it while it is so bogged down. Incidentally, I should also point out that while this issue is happening, the download speed suffers. While I would be normally getting 17MB/s or so, the speed drops to 6MB/s or less.

I havent looked to Microsoft on this as it has the earmarks of a driver issue. Intel Driver software 24.1 came out in June and only then added support for build 1903 it seems so it seems more likely to be a driver issue to me. In any case, it doesnt explain why the I340-T4 drivers didnt update to the latest Intel driver and still uses a Microsoft driver.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

Let me just clarify, the issue is only present when you are using the on-board NIC I219-V?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Kimboaticus
Beginner

Actually, it will happen if I use the I340-T4 NIC as well. Two of the I340-T4 connections are always connected to the NAS but if I use a 3rd port as my main network interface, it will also cause high CPU utilization with downloads. So regardless of the NIC used, I will have the issue.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

Can you try the following steps?

1) Go to command prompt with administrator privilege, type the following command "netsh interface tcp show global"

2) Check if "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level" is set to "normal" ,

3) You may disable it by using the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Go to advanced properties in device manager and disable the large send offload

If you have questions, please let us know

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Kimboaticus
Beginner

Hello,

I will try the steps you outlined and get back to you. It may take a few days as I will want to give it some time for a good test. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

I will wait for your update and if in case I did not receive a reply from you after 3 business days, I will post follow up.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

Just checking if you already tried the steps that we provided.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

If you still have questions or clarifications, please let us know

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Kimboaticus
Beginner

Hello,

I have given the changes a good test but unfortunately, I am still having the same issues. I am thinking my next step will be to try to replace the I340-T4 with a different manufacturers card and see if the problem persists.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

That is the best way to isolate the issue. Kindly update us on when can you try a different NIC card to test.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

I just want to check if you already tried a different NIC to isolate the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kimboaticus,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos