Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
Announcements
All support for Intel NUC 7 - 13 systems has transitioned to ASUS. Read latest update.
4745 Discussions

How can I downgrade the firmware of my X550-T1 NIC

persona
Beginner

I'm a college student and I'm doing a project on network card firmware.

I used the latest version (3.60) of the NVM update tool (nvmupdatew64e.exe)to update the X550-T1's firmware to the latest.

Now I need to revert it to an older firmware version, but I don't know how to use the tool's RecoveryDevices mode.And using an older version of the nvmupdatew64e doesn't help either,It echoes that update not available.

Is there any way for me to load the old firmware to my NIC?

Thanks for your help !! XD

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello persona,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Recovery Mode for Intel® Ethernet Products

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000089896/ethernet-products.html

Please take note, downgrading firmware may not always be supported or recommended, and it may cause compatibility issues or unexpected behavior.

Steps to use the Recovery Devices mode in the NVM update tool:

1. Download the older firmware version that you want to install on your NIC. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19358/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapter-x550-series.html
  2. Make sure your NIC is connected to your computer and powered on.
  3. Open the command prompt as an administrator and navigate to the directory where the NVM update tool is located.
  4. Type the following command to enter the Recovery Devices mode: nvmupdatew64e.exe -r
  5. The tool will prompt you to enter the path to the recovery image file. Type the full path to the file and press Enter.
  6. The tool will then start the recovery process. This may take a few minutes to complete. Once it is finished, the NIC should have the older firmware version installed..

If you encounter any issues with the above steps or if the Recovery Devices mode does not work, you can try using the Intel Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility (BootUtil). The BootUtil can be used to flash the NIC with a specific firmware version by following the instructions provided in the user guide.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello persona,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Recovery Mode for Intel® Ethernet Products

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000089896/ethernet-products.html

Please take note, downgrading firmware may not always be supported or recommended, and it may cause compatibility issues or unexpected behavior.

Steps to use the Recovery Devices mode in the NVM update tool:

1. Download the older firmware version that you want to install on your NIC. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19358/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapter-x550-series.html
  2. Make sure your NIC is connected to your computer and powered on.
  3. Open the command prompt as an administrator and navigate to the directory where the NVM update tool is located.
  4. Type the following command to enter the Recovery Devices mode: nvmupdatew64e.exe -r
  5. The tool will prompt you to enter the path to the recovery image file. Type the full path to the file and press Enter.
  6. The tool will then start the recovery process. This may take a few minutes to complete. Once it is finished, the NIC should have the older firmware version installed..

If you encounter any issues with the above steps or if the Recovery Devices mode does not work, you can try using the Intel Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility (BootUtil). The BootUtil can be used to flash the NIC with a specific firmware version by following the instructions provided in the user guide.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos