Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

How could I read eeprom info of optical cables connected Intel E810-C NIC from Ubuntu Linux server?

peter_arrcus
Beginner

Hi

I am trying to read all cable MSA eeprom info via E810-C using i2c tools or ethtool but seems not working properly. 

Is there a way to read it via E810? If so, could you please share steps? Thanks.

Regards,

Peter

user@q2c-bell:~$ sudo ethtool -i ens2f1
driver: ice
version: 5.13.0-48-generic
firmware-version: 2.40 0x800075e6 1.2898.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:5e:00.1
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Firstly we would like to ask for you to provide a photo of the markings both front and back of your NIC so that we can validate if you are using a retail or an OEM adapter. 

Can we ask the reason why you are needing to read the eeprom information to better understand your concern. 

Are you also having any connection issues from your NIC?

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
peter_arrcus
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Good afternoon,  I just attached the NIC photo, please take a look. Thanks.

To read cable's eeprom will help us collect more cable's info. Could we use i2cdump to get the info via E810 NIC?

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Thank you very much for providing us the information that we have asked. Please provide us some time to have this checked. Would it be ok if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
peter_arrcus
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Sure, sounds good. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Peter

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
peter_arrcus
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Sure, understood. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Peter

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

We do apologize again for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
peter_arrcus
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Sure, understood. Thanks for letting us know!

Regards,
Peter

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

We do apologize again for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Firstly, we do apologize for the long delay in providing an update as the case was escalated to our engineers for further checking.

We have received an update to our engineers and have been advised that you can achieve reading eeprom info using Lanconf.exe.

PHY Registers Menu

Formatted I2C EEPROM

* Press F5 to refresh

* Press F7 Save to file

However this tool requires an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Please be advised that only a CEO, Pres., VP should be the main contact or participant of NDA application. If you have already signed an NDA before please advise us the NDA number or company name that you have registered with so we can check. If not yet please advise us.  

Alternatively you can try using Ethtool instead.

Please try "dmesg -T | grep -v irq | grep -i ice"

Also be advised that Ethtool is inferior when it comes to reporting details from the PCS/PMD as Ethtool technically is a community tool, so it mostly works but we do not have direct control over the tool.

If you have concerns or clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. 

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello peter_arrcus,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos