Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

How to get performance statistics with Intel NICs

Wallewek
Novice

I recall being able to view a variety of statistics about the performance of network connections on Intel NICs.  I was able to see things like:

• CRC errors
  • Collisions
  • Runts and jumbo packets
  • Dropped packets
  • etc.

In this case, I'm looking for such stats on Intel Gigabit ET quad port server adapters.  The Windows Connection Properties interface offers a long list of settings, but I see nothing that allows me to check details of actual performance.  I'm stuck logging into my managed switch to see what statistics it can collect on the interface.

Am I missing something, or is there no way to gather such information.  Perhaps Intel NICs don't track it any more?

--- kenw

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
15 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

You have a very good question.

To better answer your question, we need to get some logs from your system. It will tell us the different driver version and components installed on your system. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-. After running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

Wallewek
Novice

OK, here is the SSU log for my NICs.  There's a lot of detail, hope it's what you wanted.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Wallewek 

You can use one of the Nirsoft Network Monitoring Tool

For example NetworkCountersWatch 

Leon

Wallewek
Novice

Marvelous!  What a great tool!  I knew of Nirsoft but had no idea what great stuff they have.  They've been busy!

0 Kudos
Wallewek
Novice

Marvelous!  What a great tool!  I knew of Nirsoft but had no idea what great stuff they have.  They've been busy!

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek,

We would like to check if the suggestions of our esteemed community members addressed your concern.

We look forward to hearing from you. Should we not hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek,

We are just following up.

It looks like your question was already answered, since you have locked the thread.

In case you have any further questions, we will keep the case open for 1 business days. Should we not get your response, we will consider that we have already addressed all your questions for this concern, and we will be closing the thread. 

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Wallewek
Novice

I don't know why you say I "locked the thread".  I am not aware of having done that, and the UI doesn't seem to say I have.

I got a very helpful response from someone regarding a third party tool, but:

I would still like to know whether Intel provides better NIC performance statics for this NIC, and/or whether I should be updating drivers.

--- kenw

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When you mark a post as providing the answer, it closes the incident. This normally locks the thread. I am unsure why it hasn't in this case.

...S

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek,

Thank you for providing that information.

We will check for your concern.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the helpful insight.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

As much as we would like to provide you a tool on your request, we do not have an Intel tool that can view or check the performance statistics. If you are okay to to use 3rd party tools, you can consider Perfmon or monitoring software like Wireshark. You need to contact the respective software manufacturers if you need help in installing it and getting it to work.

We would like to hear your thoughts regarding this.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to assess the answers that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Wallewek
Novice

Ok. Sorry, I missed your previous response.

I guess intel no longer provides Nic drivers that display performance stats in the windows management interface.  Too bad. 

Go ahead and close this.

--- ken

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Wallewek,

Thank you for posting back.

No apologies needed. It is completely okay.

Thank you for providing us your thoughts about this.

We will be closing this thread.

If you would like to give us an update or if you have further questions, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos