Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

How to modify the number of auto-negotiation retries for X550-T2 NIC on Windows PC?

SSPIC
Beginner

The appropriate registers to achieve this are described in 3.7.3.2.2.1 Speed Resolution and Partner Presence section of Intel® Ethernet Controller X550 datasheet. But can I access them from my Windows PC where the NIC is populated or what utility to use?

Trying to see if my custom made hardware would achieve a 100% success rate of establishing 10GBase-T link if I increase this. Sometimes the training procedure fails.

Looks like the X550-T2 quits retying after 3 times. When I had X540 - it was unlimited.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting. We have check this issue with our Engineering team and this is the update that we received.

I am really sorry to inform you that according to them, this is not programmable as the this is in a secured memory to the host/user. The PHY FW is autoloaded and some registers can be set using tools but this won't help in bringing up the link. As for the setting, there are some link partners that behave poorly with our PHY and to ensure we have the best chance to interoperate, we change our autoneg after 3 tries. We really apologize for the inconvenience caused, however this is operating as designed. That may be unsatisfying to the customers like you, but that is the way it works.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you using an onboard X550-T2?
  2. Can you share the link of your latest driver?
  3. And kindly share the screenshot of your settings and Ethtool.
  4. Have you tried updating the firmware of your X550-T2 card?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
SSPIC
Beginner

Hello Michael L.,

Thanks for your reply.

Here are the details:

1. This is Intel's X550-T2 adapter that fits into a PCIe slot.
2. I've got my drivers from here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10
3. Uploading a PROset utility screenshot.
4. Yes, the firmware was updated to the latest available - uploading screenshot.

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,
SSPIC

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Can you help generate the SSU of your system for us to start investigating the issue.

Here is the link of the SSU:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
SSPIC
Beginner

Hello Michael L.,

Here is the log of SSU as you've requested.

Thanks.

Best regards,
SSPIC

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

Thank you so much for sending the logs. We will check on this and please give us 2 to working days to provide an update.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

We just want to inform you that we are still in the process of checking this issue. While doing that, you mentioned that you are using a PCIe X550-T2 card. Please send us a photo of the card on both sides focusing on the markings for us to also validate the card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
SSPIC
Beginner

Hello Michael L.,

Sending you those photos you've requested.

Best regards,
SSPIC

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

Thank you for the sending the photos that we requested. We are still checking the issue and kindly give us 2 to 3 workings days to provide an update.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting. We have check this issue with our Engineering team and this is the update that we received.

I am really sorry to inform you that according to them, this is not programmable as the this is in a secured memory to the host/user. The PHY FW is autoloaded and some registers can be set using tools but this won't help in bringing up the link. As for the setting, there are some link partners that behave poorly with our PHY and to ensure we have the best chance to interoperate, we change our autoneg after 3 tries. We really apologize for the inconvenience caused, however this is operating as designed. That may be unsatisfying to the customers like you, but that is the way it works.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SSPIC,

Hope this message finds you well. I am just checking if you still have clarifications regarding this thread.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos