Ethernet Products
Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
3705 Discussions

How to reduce CPU load while sending to Ethernet

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I use Cyclone V development kit with no Ethernet connected to the FPGA. One Ethernet connected to HPS. 

I tested CPU load and data rate with simple program: 

for(i1 = 0; i1 < i2; i1++) { sent_size += sendto(sock, buf_frame, packet_size, 0, (struct sockaddr *) &echoclient, sizeof(echoclient)); //usleep(sleep_us); /// commented to test max rate, uncommented to reduce CPU load } 

I've get 86.4 MB/s with packets 8192 B and 100 % CPU load. 

But I need CPU for others tasks. So, I've uncomment usleep(sleep_us) and got with sleep_us = 450, packet_size=8192 only 13.56 MB/s with 17 % CPU. 

17 % CPU load is too much, 14 MB/s is too few. 

Is it possible to send more data for less CPU time on HPS of Cyclone V SoC ?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Did you verify you're transmitting Jumbo frames?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

The LAN where device is connected has MTU = 1500

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Fix that and re-test.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

It is desirable to avoid the restrictions that MTU is differ from commonly acceptable.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

It is desirable to avoid the restrictions that MTU is differ from commonly acceptable. 

--- Quote End ---  

Your original question in your original post was: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Is it possible to send more data for less CPU time on HPS of Cyclone V SoC ?  

--- Quote End ---  

The answer to that question is: yes, by sending fewer but larger packets. 

Your current test is sending (6) 1500b packets instead of (1) 8192b packet, so your processor overhead is 6x what it needs to be.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Your original question in your original post was: 

The answer to that question is: yes, by sending fewer but larger packets. 

Your current test is sending (6) 1500b packets instead of (1) 8192b packet, so your processor overhead is 6x what it needs to be. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm not a Linux guru or anything, but I thought the stmmac driver included DMA support, so that a non-blocking socket to ethernet should be able to reduce overhead. I haven't looked in to it in any depth, but it would make sense. To reduce the CPU load on such a tight loop, though, you'd need some sort of select event that triggers when the driver is finished sending, with the thread sleeping in between (pthread)