Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

How to set master slave mode on a card with a i350 on Linux (CentOS Stream)?

SpaceCadet123
Beginner

I downloaded the latest igb drivers from Intel. I was able to successfully build them in Centos Stream 8 (running RT kernel).  

[root]# modinfo igb

filename:       /lib/modules/4.18.0-383.rt7.168.el8.x86_64/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb.ko

version:        5.10.2

license:        GPL

description:    Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Linux Driver

author:         Intel Corporation, <e1000-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>

rhelversion:    8.7

lspci shows the cards using the igb module

11:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

Physical Slot: 1

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 26, NUMA node 0

Memory at e2820000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]

I/O ports at 4020 [disabled] [size=32]

Memory at e2844000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+

Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=10 Masked-

Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number <removed>

Capabilities: [150] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)

Capabilities: [160] Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV)

Capabilities: [1a0] Transaction Processing Hints

Capabilities: [1c0] Latency Tolerance Reporting

Capabilities: [1d0] Access Control Services

Kernel driver in use: igb

Kernel modules: igb

11:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

Physical Slot: 1

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 40, NUMA node 0

Memory at e2800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]

I/O ports at 4000 [disabled] [size=32]

Memory at e2840000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+

Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=10 Masked-

Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number <removed>

Capabilities: [150] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)

Capabilities: [160] Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV)

Capabilities: [1a0] Transaction Processing Hints

Capabilities: [1d0] Access Control Services

Kernel driver in use: igb

Kernel modules: igb

Oddly lsmod shows 0 used by.

igb                   237568  0

The cards work fine in normal use, but ethtool fails to let me set the master-slave mode to forced-slave.  Is there something obvious I'm missing.  The card appears to support the feature in Windows (albeit I haven't tried that driver yet) but results in the following error in Centos Stream:

netlink error: master/slave configuration not supported by device (offset 36)

netlink error: Operation not supported

Is there anything I'm missing that will allow me to set this master slave mode on this card?  I also have a card running the latest ixgbe, but it also has the not supported message.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to confirm first if you are using a discreet i350 NIC or an embedded network controller on your system. If you are using a discreet NIC please provide us a photo of the markings both front and back of your NIC so we can validate if you are using a retail or an OEM adapter. However if you are using an embedded network controller, please provide us the exact model of your mother board instead. 

Can we also ask why do you need the feature "master slave mode" to be enabled so we can also provide some alternative recommendations if necessary.  

Are you also having some connectivity issues? Please advise us.  

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet123
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

The card is a discreet Star Tech card using the i350 chipset

https://www.startech.com/en-us/networking-io/st2000spexi

The case is very niche.  I am trying to do some testing of a propertiary GigE network device that requires I set my test harness to a forced-slave mode.

the i350 chip has windows drivers to set the master-slave mode for GigE and ethtool recently added this setting.  I was hoping the i350 would be configurable with ethtool.  If there is another intel chipset that supports master-slave via any tool, we'd be happy to make the switch.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

Thank you very much for advising us and for providing the information that we have asked. 

We'd also like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet adapter, we have limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

Please provide us some time to have this check, is it okay if we can ask between 2-3 business days to provide you an update? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

As per further checking the OEM manufacturer (Startech) is still the best source of support because based on our Supported Operating Systems for Intel Ethernet Controllers (LOM), CentOS is not validated on I350-AM2. We would suggest for you to contact the Startech as they may have their own drivers that controls the firmware and product quality.

We do apologize for any inconvenience and if we are unable to provide any further support for your concern however the manufacturer would still be the best position where you can seek assistance so you wouldn't lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet123
Beginner

HI Zigfreid. I have opened a request with StarTech

Do you know of any Intel branded/chipped card that does work with the ethtool's master-slave mode?

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

Thank you very much for responding. Our i350 does support the feature "master-slave mode" however it seems that it's not compatible with CentOS. Just needing to confirm is your concern now checking for a NIC that supports the feature on CentOS?  

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet123
Beginner

HI Zigfreid,

That would be great.  At this point, we'd purchase any Intel card that supports setting master-slave mode in Centos or RHEL.  

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

Thank you very much for advising. We will have this further check, please provide us some time. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

As per further checking, please refer to our Intel Ethernet Controller I350 Datasheet and refer on Section 6.3.9.4 on page 274. This would be regarding about the SMBus Slave Addresses 1 configuration. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet123
Beginner

Hi Zigfried, 

would you be able to point me to any resources on how to program the EEPROM in Centos and what the valid entries are for the specific entry for slave mode?

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

We will try to check if we can provide you instructions on "how to program the EEPROM in Centos" however we have no guarantees for an answer. Please provide us some time. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

Firstly we do apologize we are unable to provide further recommendations on "how to program the EEPROM in Centos". As per checking with our engineering team, if you are needing to program the EEPROM it is best to contact the OEM adapter manufacturer (StarTech adapter) instead. As the OEM controls the driver, firmware and product quality, they are in the best position where you can seek assistance so you would not lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise us if we can close the thread.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SpaceCadet123,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos