Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

How to stop PPPoE connection drop when ICS is on and devices download data?

DVasi5
Beginner

I have a Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network onboard adapter on a windows 8.1 pro x64 system.

I'm connecting to internet with a PPPoE connection over this intel adapter. 

I also use ICS to share internet to a hotspot wifi adapter (virtual hosted newtork).

Every time my wifi devices starts to download (even a speed test will do) my pppoe connection drops dead.

At first i thought that its some bug with windows 8.1 where ICS has problems with PPPoE, but yesterday i manage to get one tplink ethernet adapter (a cheap one) with 10/100/1000 and i have absolutely no problem with my PPPoE and ICS.

PPPoE with ICS drops only on intel adapter.

I have the latest drivers installed for intel adapter.

Is there anything that i can change in adapter's configuration?

I even have an argue with my internet provider due to this pppoe failing every time when android started to upgrade/download something.

i guess the culprit was the intel adapter.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
VincentT_Intel
Hi DVasi5, Thank you for posting in Intel® Ethernet Community. Please share the following details. These will help us look into the loaded adapter driver and configuration. 1. Provide the System Support Utility log with the tplink installed in the system. a. Download and run the .exe from this link - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- b. Check "everything" then click "scan" c. When scan is finished click "next" d. Save the log and attach it to a post 2. Run "netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface > I211.txt" in the Windows command prompt with the I211 configured as ICS. Attach the I211.txt to a post. 3. Run "netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface > tplink.txt" in the Windows command prompt with the tpink configured as ICS. Attach the tplink.txt to a post. Looking forward to your response. Best Regards, Vince Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DVasi5
Beginner

Here are the rezults.

But to make it clear: I'm sharing the internet from PPPoE connection. not from network adapter. pppoe doesn't care which adapter has cable. it will connect regardless of the active network.

the problem is that when pppoe connects through intel adapter my PPPoE connection will drop when wifi devices (for example phone) starts to download data over the hotspot created with PPPoE and wifi dongle.

pppoe has no issue when cable is in tplink adapter and the hotspot is on.

0 Kudos
VincentT_Intel
Hi DVasi5, Based on the ssu log file, you have another network adapter aside from I211, please let us know if you've tried to to connect your PPPoE through Realtek network adapter. Thanks. Best Regards, Vince Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DVasi5
Beginner

the realtek is the tplink adapter mention in the opening. It probably has realtek chipset. so yes i did and i have no problem with this adapter. only I211 seems to have this issue

0 Kudos
VincentT_Intel
Hi DVasi5, Thanks for the information. Comparing the realtek and I211 settings in the SSU log file, kindly adjust the following advanced properties of the I211 adapter. Receive Buffers from "256" to "512" Transmit Buffers from "512" to "128" RSS from "Enabled" to "Disabled" Best Regards, Vince Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DVasi5
Beginner

the only option i have for rss is "Maximum number of RSS queues" default value is 2 queues

Changing receive/transmit buffers and also rss queues from 2 to 1 i have the same drop of PPPoE connection.

0 Kudos
VincentT_Intel
Hi DVasi5, Please double check if you have Receive Side Scaling in the advanced properties of I211, kindly try to disable it. If the problem still persists, we;d suggest to check with ASUS Support. The I211 is integrated to their system and they might have customized solution to your issue. Best Regards, Vince Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DVasi5
Beginner

It has. i've disable it and it still has same issue.

Thank you for you time

0 Kudos
VincentT_Intel
Hi DVasi5, Hope you were able to resolve your issue with ASUS support. Please let us know if there's other assistance needed. Best Regards, Vince T. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos