Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I unable to transmit on the global IPv4 broadcast address (255.255.255.255) on my Intel i219-v ethernet controller

cjorgens79
Beginner

I have an Intel i219-v ethernet controller which wont transmit UDP packets to any devices (using 255.255.255.255). If i use a subnet broadcast, ie 192.168.100.255 it works fine, but 255.255.255.255 does not work. The adapter can receive packets from other devices sending to that address (both wired and wireless), but when i try to send out to the other devices from this device is does not work. I do not have any 3rd party firewall's, only windows firewall. Turning it off makes no difference. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network device driver.

I am an experienced software developer who is very familiar with network programming (sockets). The reason this has come up is that the racing simulator games Project CARS and Project CARS 2 both send their in game telemetry to devices on the network using a broadcast IP of 255.255.255.255 for UDP port 5606. As a developer of companion apps for sim racing, it makes my job rather difficult if I cannot receive the game's telemetry on other devices on my network. The only way around it i have found is to record it on localhost and then retransmit it using a direct ip of a mobile device or using the subnet broadcast address. I would very much like to resolve this problem once and for all.

The network device driver settings are all set to the defaults. My local IP is 192.168.100.42, subnet is 255.255.255.0, gateway is my router 192.168.100.1

Any help or suggestions of things i could try would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
44 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello cjorgens79,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide System Support Utility (SSU) log from system with I219-V and system that were able to transmit on the global IPv4 broadcast address. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Please refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
cjorgens79
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Attached to this post is the SSU scan from the computer with the Intel i219-v ethernet controller that is having the issue.

0 Kudos
cjorgens79
Beginner

Attached to this post is the SSU scan from my wifes laptop which is able to broadcast on the network using the 255.255.255.255 address on both the Wifi and LAN network adapters.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello cjorgens79,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to check on this. Rest assured that we will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello cjorgens79,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

We'd like to double check if you have tried a different driver version 12.18.9.8 for the I219-V.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29023/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
cjorgens79
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

I did have an older driver version installed prior to trying the latest driver version, but I don't know exactly what version that was. I have also just tried the older version you linked above and that did not work either.

Regards

Craig

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

We appreciate your reply and thank you for the effort on trying the driver version link above.

We will continue to further check on this and rest assured that we will provide an update within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

Good day!

Please be informed that we are still checking your query. We will be getting back to you to provide an update within 1-3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

I hope you are doing great!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are thoroughly checking on this. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
cjorgens79
Beginner

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing from you on this issue.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

Good day and I hope you will be having a great weekend!

Please be informed that we are still actively working on this issue for you and we are involving higher level Engineers to sort this out as soon as possible. We do apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused.

We will get back to you to provide an update on Monday, November 11.

Hoping for your patience and kind understanding on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
cjorgens79
Beginner

Ok, thanks for keeping me updated. Out of curiosity, has anyone actually been able to reproduce the issue, or at least confirm there is a problem or is just still moving up the chain due to the complexity of the issue?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

How are you doing today? I hope everything is great!

This is just an update to inform you that we are still looking into this with our engineers. We have also forwarded your question to them. Another update will be sent to you on Monday, November 18.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and patience for this request.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

Good day!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are still looking on this. Rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as possible but not later than November 25.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

How are you doing today?

Kindly provide the following information as requested from our engineering team that would help in further checking the issue.

1.) How is the system connected? Specific switch, router, etc.

2.) How are the other devices connected into the same network? Is it on the same switch?

3.) What is the failed symptom? Is there any message that you encountered on the fail and pass scenarios?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
cjorgens79
Beginner

Hi,

The PC with the problem is connected via LAN cable to the router (ASUS DSL-AC68U). Other devices (iPad, iPhone, Samsung tablet) are connected via wifi to that same router. No 3rd party firewall on the PC, just the inbuilt windows 10 one, makes no difference if it is disabled.

Test Scenarios of what works and what doesn't.

• All devices are on the 192.168.100.xx range
  • Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
  • PC refers to the computer having the issue broadcasting (Win 10)
  • Laptop refers to my wifes laptop (also plugged in via LAN cable), Win 7
  • Mobile devices refers to my iPad,iPhone and Samsung Galaxy tab on wifi

PC sends UDP data on port 5606 to specific IP address of any of the mobile devices - the targeted mobile device receives it fine

PC sends UDP data on port 5606 to subnet broadcast address 192.168.100.255 - all mobile devices receive it fine.

PC sends UDP data on port 5606 to global broadcast address of 255.255.255.255 - no data is received on any of the mobile devices (however a listener app on the same PC can receive the messages)

Laptop sends UDP data on port 5606 to specific IP address of any of the mobile devices - the targeted mobile device receives it fine

Laptop sends UDP data on port 5606 to subnet broadcast address 192.168.100.255 - all mobile devices receive it fine.

Laptop sends UDP data on port 5606 to global broadcast address of 255.255.255.255 - all mobile devices receive it fine.

There are no messages, the PC simply doesn't transmit outside the local loopback when the send to address is 255.255.255.255

Let me know if you need any more info.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Please allow us to further check on this. We will be getting back to you to provide an update as soon as possible but not later than 5 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

Good day!

Please provide the below details as requested from our engineering team.

1.) What's the details steps that you do the UDP broadcast?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
cjorgens79
Beginner

The UDP broadcast can be transmitted using the Project CARS 1 or Project CARS 2 game (instructions for setting up the game to output telemetry are here https://www.pocketplayground.net/rs-dash-pcars2).

I also have an app that I wrote that can be used to re-transmit recordings of the telemetry data which i use for testing and development of my apps (to save me having to load the game to test things)

In the C# app it uses a UdpClient object (ie UdpClient udp = new UdpClient()) and calls its send method (udp.Send(data, dataLen, "255.255.255.255", 5606))

I also have a shared memory to UDP transmitter in c which uses these functions/methods

sockaddr_in NotifyAddr;

SOCKET SendSocket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP);

NotifyAddr.sin_family = AF_INET;

NotifyAddr.sin_port = htons(port);

NotifyAddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(ipAddress);

sendto(SendSocket, (char *)&data, sizeof(data), 0, (SOCKADDR *)&NotifyAddr, sizeof(NotifyAddr));

In the test situations in my earlier email, i was using the C# example and the only thing that was changing between it working (direct ip/subnet broadcast) and not working (global broadcast) in the tests was the IP address being passed into the send method.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Craig,

Appreciate your quick response.

We'll continue to investigate on this. We will provide an update as soon as there is any findings but not later than 5 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos