Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

I210 Adapter restart triggers increased performance

RWhea
Beginner

I have a performance dilemma with the Windows 10 software/driver for an onboard I210 series LAN chipset. I have two ASUS motherboards, Rampage IV – 82579V and P10S WS – I210, connected to a network. The P10S WS is the server and the other is used as desktop. With just these two components connected, I get about 85-90MB/s performance from a normal boot. But, if I go into the P10S WS and change anything in the advanced configuration of the adapter, which makes the adapter restart, then my performance is 111-113MB/s (which is really good). After booting the P10S WS, I have to change something (i.e. speed from Auto to 1GB full duplex, even though it is running 1GB anyway) to get it to restart and run full speed. Any help would be appreciated. Running Intel latest drivers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi RTitan,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Communities.

We appreciate the information provided, however, we'd like to request for additional details such as system configuration to show the configuration and driver loaded on your I210. You may use our System Support Utility to scan your system and attach the output file in this thread.

System Support Utility download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

You've mentioned these two components are connected, does it mean they are connected without switch?

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
RWhea
Beginner

Thanks Vince,

Sorry for the delay. I have messed with a lot of things since the last post and I cannot duplicate the "exact" behavior stated above. Although it still drops off to 85MB/s occasionally and I have no clue. And yes it is via an unmanaged GB switch with just the two computers running. There are other things attached but they are off during these test and most importantly - any of my transfers. At the time I posted above, it was via a direct connection as I was trying to figure out the loss in MB/s.

I am not very IT thus my experience is limited with LAN setups. I use the new server for backup purposes - huge hard drive images. Thus the loss of 15-20MB/s can be hours of difference. My next future step will be independent adapters like X540-T2s. Hard drive setups can handle the speed.

I attached the SSD files for both computers via a Onedrive link. Thanks again and don't waste too much time on me.

Thanks again.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuuePeEIoxQxgekhewm9rXhBDQBDAg https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuuePeEIoxQxgekhewm9rXhBDQBDAg

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RTitan, I've checked the SSU files and noticed you have some VMs running in your desktop, have you tried turning it off then do the file transfer from i210 to 82579V and check the performance?

I'd also suggest checking with your system manufacturer for updated NIC drivers. The latest generic driver version for I210 is 12.15.184.0.

You may also look into disabling the offloading features in server to match your settings in desktop.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Vince

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RTitan,

We'd like to check if you still need assistance regarding i210.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
RWhea
Beginner

We are good! I am getting 112-114Mbs consistently now. Thanks for your suggestions and your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks RTitan for sharing the update, glad to be of help.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos