Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

I210. Can't enable the RX queue by setting RXDCTL.ENABLE

BKA
Beginner

Hello,
I'm trying to write small driver for i210 (device id 0x1533), that works in unreal mode.
According page 150 of datasheet I'm trying to initialize RX.

Allocate 8 descriptors and buffers (2048 bytes each).
Disable RX queue.
Load address to RDBAH0 and RDBAL0.
Load data to RDLEN0, RDH0 and RDT0 registers.
Enable RX queue by setting 25 bit to 1.
Poll the RXDCTL register until the ENABLE bit is set.

On the last step my driver freezes, because can't read ENABLE bit from i210.

Any ideas? Does anyone know that why?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BKA,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you please confirm if you are using a custom board/your own design board? If no, is the I210 a discrete LAN card or is it embedded on the motherboard? If LAN on Motherboard (LOM), can you share the exact brand and model of your motherboard?

We look forward to your response.

In case we don’t hear from you, we’ll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
BKA
Beginner

Hello.

I'm using custom board with build in 5pcs of i210. At this time I found problem and i210 works fine. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
RachelC
Beginner

I have the same problem. What was the problem with yours? Maybe your solution will fix my issue too.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BKA,

Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify, can you confirm if the issue has been resolved and I210 is now working fine? If yes, please let us know if we can now proceed closing this request. Otherwise, kindly advise so can move this thread to our Embedded Connectivity team to further assist you. We'd also like to inform that queries for custom board are being handled by our Embedded support. In case you have additional questions and clarifications needed on your custom board, feel free to let us know so we can proceed moving this thread.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
BKA
Beginner

Hello.

Yes i210 working as a described. You can close this request.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BKA,

Appreciate your prompt response.

We are glad to hear that i210 is now working as expected. Please be informed that we will now close this request. If you may have any other inquiry in the future related to your custom board, please submit a new question on Embedded Connectivity link below as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Embedded Connectivity forums

-https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

May you have an amazing day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MCMan
Beginner

FYI, we've been seeing almost the same exact issue with this NIC. Most of the times a link won't establish, sometimes it does, rarely after a good several minutes, and when it does, it's stable.

I can't say if it always eventually links, the most I was able to wait was 15-20 minutes (and no link in that iteration). Re-plugging seemed to "help" more, but it's very sporadic. For a while I thought I had 1 good DAC cable and 2 bad ones, but testing refuted that without further clarity.

It's in a Synology SA3600 NAS running DSM Linux (a fork of Debian). Between maintenance window limitations and equipment location, it'd be quite complicated for us to run a bunch of tests; and I don't have a test environment for 40GbE. 

We are looking into different DAC cables at this point.

0 Kudos