Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I210 Flash map issue

HHenr3
Novice

Hi Sir,

Some I210 flash maps have three types offsets, Flash Word Offsets, Global MNG Offset & Offset. What meanings are for them?

For example: SMBus 0 slave address Flash Word Offsets: 0x51, Global MNG Offset: 0x06, Offset: 0x03, Bit[7:1]

what is real flash address? How to check this value by Intel Lanconf View Flash tool?

Please kindly help it. thanks!

8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi HenryChen728,

I'm currently checking your concern. Will update this thread as soon as possible.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HenryChen728,

Many of the flash words in the i210 are located by pointers, as listed in section 6 of the datasheet.

You're example of the SMBUS slave address, word 0x51 in the flash is a POINTER to another location in the flash memory.

Then you have the Offset from the start of that pointed to address.

This is why there is not an actual word address listed. Several of the configuration sections have grown larger than the low address word space available to them, so the low address words are used as pointers to another address.

I know that the full version of Lanconf allows you to select a pointer and it takes you to that location, from there you go to the offset within that location to edit the value.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
HHenr3
Novice

Hi Vince,

Appreciate your support for this issue.

But, I still can't understand fully about three types offsets, Flash Word Offsets, Global MNG Offset & Offset. How to mapping for real flash address?

There is only one offset in Lanconf View Flash function. I can't check I210 flash value of SMBus 0 slave address by lanconf?

Please kindly refere below and kindly help us. Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
HHenr3
Novice

Hi Vince,

I may understood the RO pointer in I210 flash.

For example: SMBus 0 slave address Flash Word Offsets: 0x51, Global MNG Offset: 0x06, Offset: 0x03, Bit[7:1]

0x51 address flash value is 0x0080 so 0x0080 is next start address for Global MNG Offset.

Global MNG Offset: 0x06 means 0x0086 address and the value is 0x017E.

Offset: 0x03 means 0x0181 address and the value is 0x0092 so SMBus 0 slave address(Bit[7:1]) is 0x49.

If any misunderstanding, please kindly advise it. Appreciate your support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HenryChen728, i'm currently checking the information you've provided, will update this thread as soon as possible. 

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HenryChen728,

If word 0x51 is the pointer. This is the starting address.

Everything else is based off of this starting address.

If it's listed as a pointer, that's where you go to and start counting your offsets.

So for your example, the pointer sends you to 0x80.

All of the offsets from there are 0x86 and 0x89.

So the smbus address is located in bits 1 through 7 at word 0x89.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
HHenr3
Novice

Hi Vince,

Global MNG Offset & Offset are different so we get second pointer by Global MNG Offset (0x0086 address: 0x017E value)

Then, Offset 0x03 mean 0x0181 address. This value is 0x0092 at word 0x0181 so SMBus 0 slave address(Bit[7:1]) is 0x49.

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HenryChen728,

Glad to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have future questions related to Intel® Ethernet products.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos