Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

I210-IT operation

HTang7
Beginner

I am design in the I210-IT device and just wondering if I need to program any image to the iNVM internal to the device in order to get the device manger to recognize the device.

I am using windows 7.

0 Kudos
49 Replies
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

1. Yes, I did run "install.bat" and then EEUPDATEW32.EXE

2. The icon is yellow. I did rescan the hardware.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

Could you please attach a screenshot of your test results?

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

FYI, there are 2 separate I210 chips install in the board and they have not been program. There is only 1 device (i210) show up on the de3vice manager for some reason.

Would this cause problem for the windows?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

Thanks for your feedback, I will consult this with our engineers.

1-Could you please go to Device manager, right-click on your network device, go to "properties" and then send me a capture of the content of the "Driver tab" and of the "Driver Details"?

2-Can you generate a list of all the PCI devices of your board, and confirm if both I210 are listed? You can use any tool you want, like PCItree, Windows Devcon, for example.

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner
0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hi HenryT

Thanks for sending the information about the driver.

Please provide a list of the PCI devices that the system is recognizing, this is important to know if the second i210 is being detected by the PCI interface.

This case is being consulted with the Intel Division, all the information that you provide will be forwarded to them to help them detect your issue.

In the meantime I will suggest you the Design Review Service: https://edc.intel.com/Tools/Design-Review/Default.aspx?language=en https://edc.intel.com/Tools/Design-Review/Default.aspx?language=en

They can provide you with feedback regarding your design and help us detect if there is any problem at hardware level.

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

I don't believe the iNVM has been programmed within the I210 successfully.

Do you know what is this error message?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

here is the PCIe tree.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

when I use EEUPDATEW32 to program the iNVM, I got these message. Do you what it mean?

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

I spoke with our engineers and they will check your schematics, I sent you an e-mail about it.

In the meantime you could find useful the following resources:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/xa/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/gbe-i210-design-guide.html?wapkw=i210 Intel® Ethernet Controller I210: Design Guide

http://www.intel.com/content/www/xa/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/gbe-i210-at-it-layout-review-checklist.html?wapkw=i210 Intel® Ethernet Controller I210-AT/IT: Layout Review Checklist

http://www.intel.com/content/www/xa/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/gbe-i210-i211-at-schematics.html?wapkw=i210 Intel® Ethernet Controller I210-AT/IT: Schematics

This might help you to find if there is something missing or something that needs to be changed.

Are there any bridges or PCI/switches in the path to the controllers?

I hope this is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

Do you what level of PECLKP and PECLKN are support to do?

Is it HCSL input or LVDS?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Henry,

PECLKp and PECLKn pin receives a 100 MHz differential clock input.

Additional information can be found in Section 12.0 Design Considerations ofhttps://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-controllers/i210-ethernet-controller-datasheet.html Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 Datasheet.

Best Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

I am trying to program the INVM for the I210 and received these error message.

Anyone know what is this message mean?

"Error code - 0x13 : INVM content can't be merged."

Hello HenryT

Please try the following:

1) Make sure that the SECURITY_EN strapping option is disabled berfore programming

2)Execute the command in the following order

EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMUPDATE /FILE=I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

If that doesn't result please execute the following commands:

EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMISLOCKED

EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMTEST /FILE=I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

I hope this is useful to you

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

The SECURITY_EN by pulling NVM_SI pin 12 to ground but it will LOCK INVM.

It is how to disable the SECUTIRY_EN?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

Qouting from the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf Intel® Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions:

Pin 12 on the I210 is designated for the purpose of overriding the security feature. To override the

security when it is in effect, a pull down resistor can be applied to that pin. This pin is sampled during

initialization to determine if security is disabled.

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

I pulled i210 pin 12 to ground.

I had executed the following command

1. EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMISLOCKED

2. EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMTEST /FILE=I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

Message : " check size of empty space after update......verify autoload configuration...."

"Error code 0x13 INVM content can't be merged".

Any though on these error messages??

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hi @HenryT

Please send me the image via e-mail, our engineers will examine it, and make suggestions based on its content.

Best regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

I have another try by install the flash memory that I removed from the HP network adapter that using the same chip i210-AT

I went through the lancomfW32.exe and see the flash content.

I installed the network driver for the windows 7.

I still can't get the windows to recognize the i210. Anything else that I am missing ?

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello @HenryT

Could you please try the Diagnostic Tool from LANConftool again, with the Flash connected to the i210 and send a Screenshot?

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
HTang7
Beginner

Hi Adolfo,

Do you know which file should I use to program the flash memory and INVM?

Flash memory

1. Transitional images

2. Twisted_pair

INVM

1. i210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

2. i210_Invm_Copper_NoAPM_v0.6.txt

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello HenryT

Sorry for the delay, the image that you need to program is entirely dependent on the hardware that you have and the needs of your project, for example if you decide to use Flash memory you won't be using the INVM images. Or if you decide to design your hardware without a Flash memory you will use the INVM image.

Even then you will have to choose the image based on what features of the I210 Ethernet controller you need to use, for example the APM image will allow you to use Advanced Power Management with your device, but if you choose the NoAPM version you won't be able to use that feature.

I hope this is helpful to you,

Best Regards

Adolfo

0 Kudos