Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I210-T1 Wake on LAN does not work, controller does not retain settings

jdoxen
Beginner

I just purchased an i210-T1 ethernet card for my NAS because it was supposed to have better compatibility than the Realtek NIC built into my motherboard. I am trying to enable wake on LAN to turn the machine on remotely, but have had no success.

When the card is installed, a new submenu appears in the BIOS for Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1 [MAC address]. In here is another menu for NIC Configuration with two options: Link Speed and Wake on LAN. The default values are "Auto Negotiated" and "Disabled" respectively. If I change either one, I find they revert to their original values after rebooting the system. I suspect getting the BIOS or network card to retain these settings is part of my problem, but I can't figure out how to do this. The card also appears to be unpowered (no green link LED) when the computer is powered off, in contrast to another PC with working WoL where even when the PC is off (as long as AC is connected) the light stays on.

The NIC is the only PCIe card in my system (excluding NVMe drives). The Motherboard is an Asus TUF B550M-PLUS (WI-FI). Asus support was unhelpful, only telling me to update the BIOS. I did, and it did not resolve the issue. The OS is TrueNAS Core (FreeBSD derivative). In the APM submenu I have the "Power On By PCI-E" option enabled and all of the power-saving options disabled. I have confirmed that my method of sending magic packets can turn on a different PC on the same network.

I am running out of ideas, any help is appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jdoxen, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you share the following information that would help in checking your request. 

1. Operating System used. 

2. Since the setting keeps on reverting to their original values after rebooting the system even on BIOS level, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support on this one. We would suggest contacting Asus again regarding the progress of the BIOS update result. 

We also found below article from Asus and you may consider providing this to Asus to check if this applies on your motherboard

[Motherboard]How to set and enable WOL(Wake On Lan) function in BIOS

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045950/

3. Please share the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello jdoxen, 

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you received our reply. If yes, please confirm and provide the information requested for us to check on your query.

Looking forward to hear from you. 

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jdoxen
Beginner
Hi Crisselle,

Thank you for the response Unfortunately due to the bad weather that is causing havoc in northern California right now, I have not had power at my house and therefore no way to use the system in question. I will follow up when I am able to access the system and the give you more information.

Jonah
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jonah,

Thank you for the reply. 

No worries at all. We will make another follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive any update from you. 

If you think that it might take some time before you can provide the details requested, feel free to let us know if we can temporarily close this request. Once you are available to discuss this, you can post a new question in reference to this one so we can continue the investigation. 

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jonah,

Good day and I hope you are safe!

This is just a follow up to check if you received our previous reply. We are re-sending below details for your reference. 

If you think that it might take some time before you can provide the details requested, please feel free to let us know if we can temporarily close this request. Once you are available to discuss this, you can post a new question in reference to this one so we can continue the investigation. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

We'll send a follow-up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Jonah,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos