Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I210 lost firmware

JMech2
Beginner

Hi,

my Supermicro X10SRL-F has two onboard I210 NICs. Two days ago, after having it passed one through to a PFSense VM with KVM, they now show up under Linux as

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 1531 (rev 03)

08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

Only the second one is detected, the first one is missing in the BIOS, too. I've had the problem before and solved it by re-flashing the firmware which was provided by Supermicro support. I'm not certain about the circumstances back then, but it's possible that it was related to pass-through, too. However, it does not seem to be easily reproducible as the same setting has worked flawlessly several times before. Before trying to re-flash the firmware as advised by Supermicro, I'd like to ask if

- this is a known problem (I couldn't really find related reports) and if yes how it can be avoided

- you could use a firmware dump to get an idea of the problem / cause

Of course, any other helpful information is appreciated! The NIC was running with firmware Rev 1.24 (05/21/2013), they've sent me Rev. 1.27A (8/27/2015) to test.

With regards

N0T3P4D

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi N0T3P4D,

The PCI ID 1531 on first I210 could happen due to internal INVM is not programmed or the flash memory is not ready at the time of initialization. kindly refer to the details in page 11 of the document found in the link below:

http://www.intel.ph/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf

Regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi N0T3P4D,

We'd like to check if you still need assistance on your i210 NICs.

thanks,

Vince
0 Kudos