Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

I211 Adapter Question

SteveFP
New Contributor I

Hello all,

I am trying to determine if the I211 NICs that are in my 4 port firewall appliance can be updated with new firmware. I am trying to run OPNsense on this appliance and when running IDS it talks to having the latest firmware on your NICs, if that is at all possible.

When I run the Bootutil utility it shows me all 4 ports. It tells me WOL is Yes on all ports, Flash is listed on all ports, but the Firmware says not present. Does that mean these have never been flashed or cannot be flashed. When I try to flash them it tells me the option ROM area in the flash is not supported. Again does that mean these cannot be flashed?

Thanks,
Steve

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SteveFP,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to ask first if you are using a discreet network adapter for this or an embedded network controller. If you are using a discreet network adapter please provide us a picture of the markings both front and back of the card. However, if you are using an embedded controller please provide us the exact model of your mother board.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SteveFP
New Contributor I

Hello Zigfreid,

The unit is a Protectli FW4B 4 port firewall appliance. these are embedded on the motherboard of the unit. Attached please find a picture of the motherboard. NICs are on the left.20220418_103925.jpg

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SteveFP,

Since you have mentioned that your network adapter is embedded on your mother board, please provide us the exact model of your board.

Also we'd like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller, we have limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SteveFP
New Contributor I

As I mentioned above this is Protectli Vault FW4B 4 port firewall appliance(https://protectli.com/vault-4-port/). I have opened a support ticket with Protectli also, and do agree with you that if anything is going to come it will come from them. I just wanted to make sure I opened a similar ticket here.

When I run the Bootutil utility it shows me all 4 ports. It tells me WOL is Yes on all ports, Flash Firmware says not present. Does that mean these have never been flashed or cannot be flashed. When I try to flash them it tells me the option ROM area in the flash is not supported. Again does that mean these cannot be flashed? Could you respond to these questions.

Thanks,
Steve

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SteveFP,

We do apologize for the confusion. We will be needing to have this further check first and see if we can provide further recommendations on our end. Please provide us between 2-3 business days to provide you an update. If you have a preferred date instead please advise us. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SteveFP,

As per further checking, we regret to inform you that we are unable to provide any recommendations on our end for your concern. The best source of support should still be the OEM manufacturer Protectli . Unfortunately, our support is limited since this is an on-board Ethernet controller. We understand that this is an Intel Ethernet controller that's embedded but it would still be best for him to get in touch with board manufacturer for support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on his system. They are in best position where he can seek assistance so he does not lose features or customizations especially the firmware update of the Ethernet controller. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise us if we can close the thread.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SteveFP,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SteveFP,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos