Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

I211 Connection indicated as 1Gbit Full Duplex but only getting 500mbits

PSchu25
Novice

Hi,

I upgraded to a Gigabit Internet connection recently and I am only getting about 200-400mbit/s at my PC. My internet providers speedtest website is telling me that my computer cannot handle gigabit speeds. I have tested with other computers via the same cable and I am getting the full speed.

iperf3 testing to and from my UbiqitiEdgerouter-X yields about 450-500mbits. I have updated the I211 drivers and set everything to default.

Is there anything I can try?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PSchu25
Novice

Hi Carlos,

I have found the solution to my problem! It was neither an ASUS nur Intel issue, but a Windows setting. For some reason the TCP setting "AutotuningLevelLocal" was set to disabled instead of auto. Resetting this fixed the slow download speeds.

Thank you again for the speedy replies, I really appreciate you taking this issue seriously, which is much more than can be said for other manufacturers.

Best regards

Paul Schuette

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
PSchu25
Novice

Here is the information about my system. Thank you for helping!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What kind of cable are you using? CAT5 is not going to cut it. For Gigabit speeds, you need (minimum) CAT5a, (better) CAT6 or ( best) CAT7.

Which version of the Intel Ethernet package did you install? The report only gives a driver version, not a package version. The latest (just released) package is 25.0 and can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=64403.

...S

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Thanks for the quick reply! I am using Cat 6a cabling and the latest package version 25.0

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, I am not sure what to suggest. Intel Customer Support (ICS) is going to have to dig into this one...

ICS will want this: please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and save the report to a file. Then, using the paperclip icon below the edit window, upload and attach this file to a response post.

...S

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Thanks very much for the help. Do I have to contact the ICS separately?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Shouldn't need to. Let's see if they respond in the morning...

...S

0 Kudos
CarlosAubr_S_Intel

Greetings PSchu25, 

Thank you for providing the details of your system and Intel System Support Utility. For our records, Have you tried contacting the board manufacturer? They may provide driver that are customized for your onboard hardware.

Also, can you provide Intel SSU for the other system where you are getting a full speed so we can compare the settings

Sincerely,

Carlos S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Thank you for the swift reply, I have attached the SSU file from one of the other systems, unfortunately I do not have access to the second one which was a new Apple iMac.

I have tried installing the network drivers from the ASUS website but there was no change in performance. I have also contacted ASUS support, but I am still waiting for an answer from them.

0 Kudos
CarlosAubr_S_Intel

Hello PSchu25,

Based on the 2nd SSU, are you using Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 to get 1GB full duplex, is that correct? 

How about the IMac, are you using wired or WiFi for the connection? 

Sincerely,

Carlos S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Hi,

I was using the same wired connection both times, they were moved to the same spot as my PC and tested with the same cable. I believe the second computer uses a realtek network adapter for its wired connection.

0 Kudos
CarlosAubr_S_Intel

Hi PSchu25,

We are currently checking your concern. Please free to contact us back once you heard feedback from Asus

Sincerely,

Carlos S.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
CarlosAubr_S_Intel

Greetings PSchu25,

We are still working on the case. May I know if Asus already provided feedback for your concern?

Best Regards,

Carlos S.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Hi, sorry about the lack of reply. Asus recommended I install a new BIOS version, however this has not helped. I am waiting for a further reply from them.

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Asus has now escalated the issue to 2nd level support and is looking further into it.

0 Kudos
CarlosAubr_S_Intel

Hello PSchu25, 

Thank you for your response. Since the issue is now being raise to Asus, I highly recommend to wait for their feedback since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customization of the Ethernet controller.

Have you also tried to use a different test website to check if there would be any difference? As the speed test conducted on the speed test website that you used had to pass through your service provider and the test outcome is dependent on various factors (Operating system, cable and system itself, BIOS version).

Is it alright if I follow up on May 4 to give you ample time to wait for Asus' feedback? If we don't receive a reply, I'll follow up on my proposed date. Let me know if you have a preferred date/time for when I can follow up with you and your preferred mode of contact for the case.

Best Regards,

Carlos S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Hi,

Asus Germany has sent the issue on to their headquarters in asia, since they were not aware of any such issue.

May 4 is good for me, contact via this forum or via email is both fine for me.

Thank you very much for the quick responses , this is some of the most dedicated customer support I've sought out.

0 Kudos
PSchu25
Novice

Hi Carlos,

I have found the solution to my problem! It was neither an ASUS nur Intel issue, but a Windows setting. For some reason the TCP setting "AutotuningLevelLocal" was set to disabled instead of auto. Resetting this fixed the slow download speeds.

Thank you again for the speedy replies, I really appreciate you taking this issue seriously, which is much more than can be said for other manufacturers.

Best regards

Paul Schuette

0 Kudos
nacho
Beginner

Me ha solucionado el error, dejó los comandos aquí para que no os tengais que comer la cabeza buscandolos. 

1. Abrimos PowerShell como Administrador

2. Para ver si el parámetro AutoTuningLevelLocal, lo tenemos en disabled, ejecutaremos Get-NetTCPSetting y buscamos este parámetro, si lo tenemos "disabled".

3. Si lo tenemos disabled, ejecutaremos el siguiente comando: Set-NetTCPSetting -AutoTuningLevelLocal "normal"

Espero que os funcione.

0 Kudos
CarlosAubr_S_Intel

Hello PSchu25, 

Thank you for providing information on how you managed to resolve your concern. It is good to know that it resolved your connection speed issue.

We appreciate your time and cooperation. If you have question and concern, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Carlos S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos