Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
N_3
Beginner

The supported cards and chipsets are listed very clearly on the Network Adapter Driver for Windows 10 download page : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

If your card is in that list, then it's supported in Windows 10.

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.
0 Kudos
EAlle2
Beginner

There are similar cards not in your list that are also getting the update. My I340-T4 was not fortunate enough to have it's own thread asking for a driver and is also not on your list however Carl said it's getting a Windows 10 driver.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

What about 561T (X540 based) cards? Will they be supported?

(edit: wops, I see someone asked just that)

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Carl_Wilson:

You are the hero of intels forum! Thank you very much for your input!

I've been chasing this issue for months. Looking forward to new patch and driver update in a couple of months.

0 Kudos
EMalo1
Beginner

add me to list of affected users. Many PCs / NIC adapters.

Waited to upgrade our W7s to avoid such issues boom ... good night vlan connectivity.

This gut punch put my multicast relay on the canvas. Every airprint / airplay user appeared at my doorstep.

This forum posting is helpful and i will follow awaiting release of an updated driver to return this functionality.

0 Kudos
DBlac7
Novice

I'm also awaiting updates for this. Just built a system which has X-99 Deluxe 3.1 Motherboard and advertises the "LAN Teaming" feature but when I've installed latest Intel drivers, it has been disabled in Windows 10.

Hopefully you guys will get the drivers sorted soon

0 Kudos
pmart14
Beginner

Well stupid me, I just bought a $2,000 computer specifically for the teaming feature, never dreaming there be a problem with a company like Intel. It took half a day to figure out what the problem was.

0 Kudos
CGros3
Beginner

If you've actually read the thread, it's an issue with Windows 10. It isn't an issue with Intel. Blame Microsoft for this failure, the drivers still work fine on Windows 7 and 8.

0 Kudos
pmart14
Beginner

Well I don't care whose fault it is Microsoft blames Intel and Intel blames Microsoft you'd think after 8 months Intel could work something out with them. Are they just going to wait for Microsoft to fix it and just sit there?

0 Kudos
CGros3
Beginner

If you think Intel is just sitting by doing nothing, you haven't read this thread at all.

0 Kudos
MKarl2
Novice

It's starting more and more to sound like this isn't a bug on Microsoft's part at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this on purpose to stop teaming from working on client operating systems after some "brilliant" marketing person deemed it a "server feature" they want you to pay for a server licence to use, which fundamentally misunderstands how workstations are used.

If this were just a bug, it could have been fixed quickly. Something else is at foot here.

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't trust Microsoft at all anymore. I mean, I never really did, but after this strong arm release of Windows 10, it is pretty damned clear that they don't h ave the best interest of their users in mind.

0 Kudos
DBlac7
Novice

Yes norwoodsteel - same as me! ha to be fair, I don't think it's Intel's fault from what I've read, appears to be a MS issue and this thread shows they are both working together to resolve it. Clearly we are using very modern chips here which are still for sale so it's in both companies interests to resolve this... I use a NAS system and love the idea of the teaming feature to get effectively double the connectivity speed... fingers crossed it won't be long!

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

I also share in your frustration. I was pretty hopefully after our initial testing that the OS patch would resolve the issue. However, after a full test passes in our Quality Labs there were instances that, during VLAN and Teaming setup occasional configuration errors would occur that could not be fixed, even after a reinstall. Obviously, that would not have been an acceptable solution. After a detailed review of our code, we believe our code is behaving properly and we now need to understand from MS what is going on within their stack to help them with a root cause. Unfortunately, this painfully slow response from the OS side points to a lack of urgency this problem that needs to be addressed through escalation.

I have a meeting scheduled with our driver development team tomorrow to try and better understand where the roadblocks are. They are already prepared to do an out-of-cycle point release once the issue can be resolved. I will also map out an escalation path with the client OS team in Redmond to drive up the contrast on the issue.

Next update in 2 weeks.

JAase
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Carl_Wilson,

I've said it before and I'll say it again; your willingness to tackle this head-on, setup meetings with your development team and pickup the phone to open up back-channel communication (via your escalation path with Microsoft's Client OS Team) to try and tease out a resolution in this case should be commended.

There are people in the Microsoft forums giving them feedback as well from that angle, but having Intel formally communicate their desire to resolve this certainly gives this issue much more weight / visibility than 100s of us screaming in a MS forum ever could.

So, thank you, for taking this issue under your wing and doing what you can to resolve this for your customers. This sort of "we'll get it done, come hell or high water" approach is a huge reason that keeps me buying Intel gear

Looking forward to that end-of-the-month update, Carl!

Joey

AAhme19
Beginner

All,

Did anyone found fix for the VLAN tagging issue in Windows 10. We did tried installing all the hotfix mentioned in this thread but no luck.

Still we get ANS feature error while installing "PROWinx64 v 21.0". We do have tried with older versions of "PROWinx64" but no luck.

We badly need a solution here. Please help.

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

Nope, Microsoft is saying it doesn't work yet.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

All,

Thank you for your patience. As I promised, here is an update to this issue this week.

I've had multiple meetings with the software engineering team here to ensure we had the right amount of focus on getting to a resolution. I'm pleased to say that over the last two weeks we have made significant progress on the blocking items between our SW team and the support group in Redmond on the issue that has kept us from re-enabling this capability in Windows 10. There were some code change recommendations that, based on the current progress on testing has given us enough confidence that the blocking issues (we believe) are now resolved and have re-enabled it in our next software driver testing, scheduled for release in August (we did investigate doing a 'point release', however it would not be able to come out quicker). There of course are a series of regression tests that must be performed to have 100% confidence (since this is where the corner cases seem to be traditionally found). My SW team has promised me a 'go/no-go' the week of July 11-15.

Should the go decision be reached, it will be officially part of the scheduled August SW release.

I'll continue to keep you posted.

idata
Employee

Carl_Wilson,

Thanks for the update!

Do you expect the August release to be a "early" or "late" August timeframe?

Looking forward to the update in mid-July!

Have a great weekend!

Joey

0 Kudos
MKarl2
Novice

Carl,

Thank you for staying on top of this.

Now I just have to hope that both of my on board Ethernet chips (82574L and 82579V) are still supported by the driver once it is released, like they were in the latest available driver before this issue.

Since this issue breaks previous drivers, and we can't just roll back, it would be a nice show of good faith from Intel to do a one time inclusion of recently EOL chipsets in this next release.

0 Kudos
MKarl2
Novice

Also, I am curious.

In Windows 10 currently Microsofts own "new-netLBFOTeam" command in powershell is also broken.

Do Intel's drivers drivers currently just function as a frontend for this command?

0 Kudos