Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4876 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
JWeem1
Beginner

I just like to point out the timing of this is rather funny. Those of us who have been waiting to upgrade our machines to Windows 10, but have not because of the need to utilize the VLAN features are now stuck at the previous version of windows now because the free upgrade has lapsed. So just want to point out that is awesome.

0 Kudos
DBlac7
Novice

To be fair, you could have cloned your hard drive then upgraded to Windows 10 before the cut off for free upgrade so that your machines digital entitlement is locked in by Microsofts Activation server then just pushed the previous image back over the top till the issue is resolved - I've done this on a few machines now where I'm not ready to go to Windows 10.

i agree with Jdijulio too - Intel are doing something about this issue. I've had loads of pieces of hardware over the years where manufacturers have refused to produce drivers etc. It's also good how we are being kept up to date about it on here. I appreciate their work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Agreed on all points, Dan.

The bottom line is anyone who has been in IT for any length of time (almost 20 years for me) knows what happens when a manufacturer decides to not stand behind their product. They should also know how often that is (i.e., happens all the time).

Rather than slaying Intel because it's taking longer to get it done than we all would like (myself very much included, for the record) we should probably consider thanking them (or, if you can't bring yourself to do that, at least be civil about your frustration).

Keep in mind - Intel could just announce they aren't going to do squat about it. Which of course would lead people to moan, whine, carry on, threaten to sue, swear they'll take their business else ware, stamp up and down like 4 years-old's not getting a lollipop, etc. But at the end of the day, Intel holds the cards on this getting fixed; and they could just say no - and that would just be the end of it. Period.

In reality what they have been doing is being (relatively) responsive on the forums, committed resources to this problem (including working with Microsoft as necessary), and are working toward a solution to the issues at hand. People are just annoyed it's taking a while. Okay, well, tough cookies - Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it. Or leave, whatever, no one cares.

As far as I'm concerned I'll take a vendor who stands behind their products and fixes bugs SEVEN DAYS A WEEK over a vendor that doesn't lift a finger to solve issues with their products and/or communicate with their customers directly like this. Bottom line, everyone's OH-MY-GOD-THE-SKY-IS-FALLING issues notwithstanding, this could be a lot worse.

(Now cue all the people telling me why I'm an idiot and why their problems are so God-awfully important that every one of Intel's 100,000+ employees should stop everything and *only* work on this bug until it's resolved.)

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

Intel to this day advertises VLAN and LACP capability in Windows 10. This is currently a fraud, an actionable offense in the U.S.A where Intel is Headquartered. Every offer to fix this fraud has also been a fraud- it's still not fixed. We still don't have a verified working solution, although we were promised a 'go/no-go' update. So yes, Intel absolutely deserves a kick in the butt.

It strains credulity to say 2 world leaders in software and hardware, who are known to have a very tight relationship, cannot fix a driver issue which does not affect any other NIC producer, when given over a year now.

Just because this behavior is acceptable to you and your incredibly low standards does not make it OK, especially for a premium product from a self-proclaimed leader in the segment. who has repeatedly claimed this product will support VLANs and LACP in Windows 10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So sue them.

I had an issue with Comcast over a billing dispute where they violated a contract and that's what I did (and guess what, after I filed the suit, the issue was resolved pretty quickly - didn't even have to show up in court).

If it bothers you that much, just get it over with and file the suit. Get yourself an attorney and make it a class action. You should be able to find enough people who are that annoyed, right?

Put up or shut up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

With all due respect, take off the tin foil hat bud. Call it going out on a limb, but I simply don't buy there is any correlation here as you seem to insinuate by saying "the timing of this is rather funny".

Think about it. What possible motivation could Microsoft and/or Intel have for colluding on breaking VLANs / NIC Teaming? Would Microsoft *prefer* folks stick with Windows 7? Does Intel really "gain" anything by having folks not upgrade to Windows 10? It just doesn't make any sense. Neither has anything to gain, and does actually stand a chance to get a lot of flack (as is evident in posts here and on the Microsoft forums) for this regression. On the other hand, the theory that this was just an oversight that can, should, and sounds like it will be fixed soon seems much more plausible to me.

PS: Nevertheless, I'll throw you and anyone else a bone on thinking you missed the boat on the free upgrade if you've held off on installing Windows 10 due to this issue: http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/1/12340318/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-still-available You can still get Windows 10 for free with this trick | The Verge. Your welcome

0 Kudos
JWeem1
Beginner

No tin foil hats, just stating its been well advertised the end of the windows 10 upgrade, they stated august release time. Its not like windows 10 has been available for quite awhile, nor they have not been in contact working with M$ before W10 release. This isn't a company of developers working out of their garage building a startup company. This is a major player in the computer industry, they got ppl for this they should be on top of this. My 3 year old sub $200 laptop all has fully function W10 drivers. I think Intel could have already worked on this when they qualified it with M$, its not like this post started and they were like "Oh hey, that doesn't work, huh..." I don't believe they are colluding to break the VLAN/NIC teaming I think its a ploy by the developers to push it off long enough that they don't have to work on it, because eventually ppl will just go buy a different NIC.

0 Kudos
AAhme19
Beginner

Intel Guys,

Any update on new driver release???

I just tried with "Windows 10 Anniversary Update" which got release yesterday with the Intel Driver software 21.0 version. but no luck for VLAN taggin or teaming.

0 Kudos
VInga
Novice

For the time being I tossed in a different manufacturers dual port NIC. Working well but not an optimal solution. It is what it is. If this card holds out I'll be happy but it's sad. Teaming works in windows 10, just not with intel equipment, on anything less than server OS.

0 Kudos
TED
Novice

Hello Intel, would you be so kind to give us a status of this issue? Are you still planning to release a driver in your August update fixing this problem? I assume you've worked with the Redmond team to make sure your driver can work with win10 anniversary update that has just been released with a whole bunch of fixes and rewritten code. If no fix is released this month, I will then return my 450€ Motherboard back (and most probably file the suit against Gigabyte for false advertising teaming capability, I am no kid my friend). Probably get back to the 6 year old Realtek cards I had before that could at least do such a simple thing as VLANs in Windows 10 (yeah, you heard that right) until I find something else that suits me. This ain't no threat, just expressing a huge deal of frustration and disbelief and I don't blame intel for it as I was searching for an appropriate motherboard to build a new system when I found an X99 board from Gigabyte with a very big NIC teaming advertisement. I still cannot believe that it doesn't even do VLANs (if I might suggest Intel asking Realtek how they do it).

VInga
Novice

I concur!

Amazon just dropped off another dual port realtek I ordered for another machine. I need to be running on a vlan and teamed. Indeed realtek does work with win10 and it's sad.

0 Kudos
NMoid
Beginner

can you please give some info/link about the part number you bought. I need VLAN minimum 2 Gigabit ports . thank you

0 Kudos
MKarl2
Novice

Yeah, but you have to sacrifice too much in the stability department to go with Realtek. It's really not a solution.

So, I just tested the new-LBFOteam command again in the Windows 10 Pro Anniversary update, and it still fails. Looking more and more like Microsoft intentionally removed the feature from Win10 Pro, which is absolutely infuriating, and illustrates that they know nothing about how people use their OS. LACP is not only a server feature! As time goes on, it gets more and more difficult to see what's so "pro" about Windows 10 pro. They keep removing features...

Long story short, I'm back to hoping that Intel fixes this in their driver, because it looks like we are SOL from Microsoft. They apparently want to block teaming in any non "Windows Server" product.

The funny thing is, I spend 99% of my time in Linux. I only dual boot to Windows 10 to play the occasional game, and when I do, I have to unplug my two LACP cables, and plug a single basic cable back in, or Windows cant reach the network, because there is no LACP. I don't even need LACP in Windows. I just don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect my Ethernet cables every time I dual boot anymore...

It makes me curse Microsoft every single time.

I shouldn't have to install a single port NIC in my machine just for Windows because my LACP that works fine in Linux using the kernel bonding driver has been disabled by Microsoft in PRO editions of Windows... It might be the only solution though.

0 Kudos
VInga
Novice

Upgraded a machine to "Windows 10 Anniversary Build 14393 - it has in fact broke teaming on the realtek.

VLANS still work.

0 Kudos
VInga
Novice

Well... VLANS did work, so did teaming with the realtek. Had to reboot my Windows 10 Pro "Anniversary Build 14393" machine today... which I have done a couple times since updating....

It blacklisted the Realtek utility you need for VLANS/Teaming.... Back to square one. Remember, it did work before the 14393 update....

At this point, it's very clear as to what microsoft's path is.... Driving customers to linux....

0 Kudos
CKlut
Novice

@Intel: Please respond, it has been ages since we heard any news. Will the new driver be released as scheduled? We need answers!

VInga
Novice

At this point, it's more of a question for Microsoft. It's very obvious what Microsoft is doing. They are pushing enterprise features people use, for enterprise grade operating systems. Everything works as intended on Server OS. I doubt we will ever see this work again in home/pro edition. @Carl_Wilson

0 Kudos
CKlut
Novice

But then I am wondering what Intel has been doing in the meantime, when it is obviously clear that these features will no longer be supported by consumer versions of windows. And since it is code from Intel that enables VLAN and Teaming (as stated a few pages back from Carl Wilson) I am wondering how MS is exactly involved? I just want some clarification here.

0 Kudos
TED
Novice

It was the same when Win10 was originally released. A few months later Realtek released an update to fix it. I wouldn't go too radical to say Microsoft is doing that to force ppl to go to Linux, you can simply uninstall the Anniversary Update and get your Realtek features back, it's not a major rollback as with Windows 10 to 8.x. I am major Linux user and I do know how extremely complicated Linux can be with drivers.

Anyhow, I have the anniversary update installed and I'm really looking forward to the August updated drivers from Intel. It's pointless to point out that NIC teaming and VLANs are only parts of Enterprise features. If that's true, then why Motherboard vendors are selling it to Consumers market? Why are they advertising products as Windows 10 Certified and (in my case at least) pointing out a major feature as NIC Teaming? Don't know whom to blame here for false advertisement. :-/

0 Kudos
jbond5
Beginner

My thoughts regarding this issue is that it is an artificial issue : both Microsoft and Intel have interests in this broken link aggregation/vlan issue to persist.

-Microsoft like you say, to push people to server version of Windows 10

-Intel, to sell more ultra expensive 10 gigabit network cards vs much cheaper 1 gigabit

0 Kudos