Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4876 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
idata
Employee

Carl_Wilson,

Any updates on things?

Would love to be able to have a version that dynamically checks the build version at runtime, allowing the feature to be enabled or not based on the Windows build (i.e. so for people who are running the Beta of Readstone 2 have a functional driver set).

Would also love to see if a non-supported version with it enabled could be offered a signed NDA and/or via an unofficial download link for those that want to try it anyway.

Lastly, would love even more if there is some good news on perhaps Microsoft letting you guys know that they've back-ported the fixes from Redstone 2 into an update roll up coming out way soon.

Whatever updates you have, they would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Sorry for the delay.

So a quick update (with at least one more to come).

With regard to Teaming and VLANS, we now know 2 things.

1) We will 100% be able to re-enable teaming and VLANs within our drivers for Windows 10 the with RS2 release from Microsoft when it ships. We have confirmed the RS2 changes do in fact allow expected behaviors for teaming and VLAN configuration. This I believe I have already made a note of before, but we are confirmed a 'go' for the official RS2 release.

2) This leave previous releases. Happily, we are in the process of testing a MS provided beta fix for RS1 that is looking very, very good. I should know by 10/21 or 10/24 how the full regression test passes are going. If this passes, we will provide the feedback to MS that it is also a go and then two more things can happen.

a) MS will incorporate the fix into a future RS1 monthly patch (which I will let you know when I know).

b) We will 're-enable' out current driver (with a small step added which checks for version/patches to confirm the fix is loaded). We already have the team standing by to do an out-of-cycle release just for Windows 10 to make this happen.

This probably means that TH1./TH2 will still not have the capability, but I am pretty sure that RS1/RS2 will be the broad deployment moving forward.

I'll keep you posted!!

- Carl

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Carl_Wilson,

Dude - You are the the man!

Thanks for the fantastic update and we'll all be looking forward to hopefully good news in the next week!

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

I noticed a new driver release but teaming still not turned on with preview release 14951, which is RS2.

Actually, the 21.1 download is the previous version. I do not think they uploaded the actual 21.1 drivers yet. The release notes in the archive show version 21.0 and the latest driver date is 5/18/2016.

So I will hold judgement until the new drivers are available.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Answer on the MSFT thread:

Working with the PG as well from my end to see if we can get the fixes ported to the previous builds. I will keep you posted on any updates.

Adam Rudell | Windows Networking Beta | Microsoft Corporation

This might look promising!

CSees
Beginner

Looking forward to a possible resolution, was shocked and disappointed that nic teaming was not supported after my recent build. Following the issue.

DCol
Novice

LFBO still not enabled in preview edition 14936, not that I expected it would be. But at least MS fixed the network sharing/discovery issue.

So its been a few weeks since any news from Intel. Where's the beef?

VInga
Novice

I finally gave up and bought a 1u server with quad nics. Server 2012 R2 - No problem teaming....

This is disgusting. Cutting out a long-running feature to sway people towards enterprise equipment and licensing. Not even saying anything about it in the open is what really aggravates me.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

See i been having this debate on other forums, And IMO this is what Intel and M$ wanted. If this had happen with Windows Server their would have been up raw from the business committee and both would have come with a solution weeks if not days of the problem arising. This is all about money on both sides (Intel & M$) and from the information i have seen there will be NO solution in 2016 and don't even hold you breath for first quarter of 2017 neither. The only reason i stuck with M$ and intels BULL@# /? over this is because of Adobe CC (forget Apple) but this will soon change as there is word Adobe are working on a Linux version and from when this is delivered i will switch to using AMD/ATI.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

MS would create more revenue by allowing the Enterprise edition to support teaming. This would keep all the Enterprise customers happy and stop them from moving to other platforms. We all know that those are the customers that MS and Intel really care about. There is a post on August 8th from Carl Wilson which stated one more week. For someone who states he is the go to guy, that isn't very promising. Look at MS history, since when did they not release something that 'partially' works. We are all beta testers to them. Always have been. If they turned the feature off, they have no intention on turning it back on. If you really need VLAN/teaming, consider moving to another platform.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Sorry but i disagree. Teaming works with Server2016 so M$ can get this to work in Win10. This isn't a case of "We are having problems getting teaming to work", Teaming was working with every OS pre Win10 and Win10 is a direct update from Win8.1 so IMO this was a deliberate act and to take from release date 15 Months.... clean your eyes and read it again "15 MONTHS" to work this out speaks volumes about whats really going on. So i'm not going to sit listening/reading to any of their BULLs???... They screwed us and screwed us hard.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Win10 has a lot of changes to the core networking, with a lot of issues. People are having DNS problems, WiFi problems, Network discovery is broken in the latest builds. So don't tell me their server people are on it. I doubt the same engineers are on Win10 team that are on Server OS's. MS marketing would love to make revenue on Win10 Enterprise that had Teaming. MS probably has their Win10 support in India and they can't fix it.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

15 MONTHS and counting and your telling me they can't work it out.... Get Real!

Edit.... I stand corrected, broken teaming was first reported back in Feb 2015 RC edition of windows 10 so in truth this has taken 20 Months so far and still people think its a problem M$ cant fix..

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

If you're that angry, why don't you just change platforms.I doubt if teaming will ever happen at this point. They gave up.Which is why I think they can't do it. Or maybe they want to get all the other networking issues resolved first. The marketing reason doesn't make sense. If they had it ready, they could make money off it instead of forcing customers to leave their platform. Just common sense.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Change platforms to who Apple.... Seriously...! Read a few posts back and you'll see that at present i'm stuck with this because i'm a Pro Adobe CC user but once adobe release their Linux version (if indeed it happens) im off. And yes i am freaking angry. i spent Over £24,000 on several systems which i use for work and transfer several TB's daily across these systems. Time is money. 1gb NIC's dont cut it.

0 Kudos
G9
Beginner

I hope their will be a fix available soon...

Need vlan tagging everyday for troubleshooting and testing...

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Just as I suspected, there was a big shakeup in the Windows 10 development team in June/July this year where several engineers left the program. This explains why teaming and tagging is placed on the back burner. I got this info from some past colleagues who are still connected to MS. Also explains why we are seeing more changes to the mobile and store apps rather than the core in the insider program. The background of the new director of the insider program was in mobile apps, She is young and has minimal experience. That's all I know for now, but I will keep digging. Inside info on MS is very hard to get. This explains a lot.

0 Kudos
AStah1
Beginner

> Just as I suspected, there was a big shakeup in the Windows 10 development team in June/July this year where several engineers left the program.

> This explains why teaming and tagging is placed on the back burner. I got this info from some past colleagues who are still connected to MS.

> Also explains why we are seeing more changes to the mobile and store apps rather than the core in the insider program. The background of the

> new director of the insider program was in mobile apps, She is young and has minimal experience. That's all I know for now, but I will keep digging.

> Inside info on MS is very hard to get. This explains a lot.

To me it doesn't explain anything. It's just a rumor you're spreading until you can supply some reliable information.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Read this article.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/01/a-change-in-leadership-for-the-windows-insider-program/# yTJKWBeOAkFlOosh.97 A change in leadership for the Windows Insider Program | Windows Experience Blog

May not give you the whole story but others left the program too.

0 Kudos
VInga
Novice

Anyone else give up yet?

Microsoft, Intel - just tell us... Not happening.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

I gave up on MS but I still have hopes that Intel will do something.

What I see going on with MS is all the Win10 attention is on Mobile and apps, no core development. This is evident from the Insider previews that keep rolling out. In fact they are making the core worse by now crashing with 3rd party anti-virus/malware programs such as Malwarebytes. There are many core bugs that are not being addressed, so one can only believe that no one is there to fix them which substantiates my previous post of Win10 losing key development people. I now believe that these engineers were moved to the Windows 2016 server development team, as they are behind schedule with that product release. Windows Server 2016 does not need Mobile or app developers, which is all that is left in the Win10 team.This of course is my theory, not proven. But explains a lot.

0 Kudos