Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
LJ
Beginner

I took the plunge myself and CAN confirm that teaming is fixed in the latest MS update (KB3206632). now intel please pull your finger out of your a holes and deliver a WHQL driver please.

Kind Regards.

0 Kudos
TED
Novice

Intel, please provide any feedback on this matter. The anticipation is killing all of us after so much time waiting.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

For thoses who dont want to wait there is two ways to do this.

1. Download and install this http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=4&id=2300&Itemid=255&lang=fr# 13908 Driver I take no responsibility for any problems that this driver may cause. I am not linked in no way to station-drivers and have no links to the origin of this driver. all i know is it works. Just install, setup your teams and away you go.

2. For now (Until official driver) use Windows Network bridge. Network Connections > Select all NIC's Right click and select bridge connections. Now this works but its buggy and i mean buggy very buggy.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK. Sorry for the delay. Its a busy time of year here at Intel.

We received the drop to test from MS over the Thanksgiving break to validate the fix from their end and everything looked great for Windows Red Stone 1 for the critical OS fix. In fact, the "Cumulative Update 128" from Microsoft was released today which includes the required change.

Our re-enabled driver will be version 22.0, which is currently under testing and should be release in early February (It didn't make sense to do a point release since it would have only saved about 2 weeks on release, followed by a major SW update right after). This will completely re-enable both Teaming and VLANs by performing a check on the OS version to ensure the update has been applied before allowing the feature to be enabled.

I personally will celebrate with an Ice Cold 23-flavor cola-style beverage once this is completed!

Happy Holidays to all!

idata
Employee

And... Carl_Wilson drops the mic.

Let the countdown timer begin! Thanks for seeing this through to the bitter end, Carl!

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Typical case of Insult to injury. February 2017? 2yrs after Intel had discovered that teaming was broken. what a joke. The truth needs to be told and its a shame my source wont step up and whistle blow.

Have a Nice day people.

P.S again for those that dont want to wait there is an alternative.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

At this risk of being called an apologist, cut Intel a little bit of slack dude.

Whether you care to admit it or not, Microsoft has been the biggest bottleneck in this deal. If Microsoft had released this patch a year ago, this would have been fixed (roughly) a year ago.

Look at it this way. If when this issue first came out Intel said, "We've identified the issue, and we can have a fix within 1.5 months" you probably won't be as annoyed. A month an a half to fix a bug isn't out of the ordinary (in fact, that's not to shabby). That's essentially what they are saying because the ball hasn't really been in their court until now.

No matter what they wanted to have done, until Microsoft released this patch there was nothing that *could* be done. So, in that vein, we're really on Day 1 of this fix being entirely within their control to fix. For them to incorporate it into the VERY next scheduled release is fair in my mind.

If you've waited 2 years, what's a another few weeks?

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

Carl_Wilson wrote:

Our re-enabled driver will be version 22.0, which is currently under testing and should be release in early February (It didn't make sense to do a point release since it would have only saved about 2 weeks on release, followed by a major SW update right after).

So what happened to the "very fast point release" you expected to do in a post from 9 September, in the event of a successful backport of the fix to RS1? Surely you did not mean "very fast" = ~6 weeks, "not very fast" = ~8 weeks, did you? (Not to mention that RS2 is currently expected in March.)

Anyway, it's good to know there is a point at which this drama is going to come to an end.

0 Kudos
JVuor
Beginner

I would like to point out that my 4 computer setup with nic-teaming was built around

"Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter"

as a master ethernet card.

Now they have dropped driver support and I have been using windows 10 generic drivers.

I guess I am out of luck even intel managed to bring back nic-teaming?

0 Kudos
JPisa1
Beginner

Have same problem. I saw some advice to force installation of driver for I218-LM. I will try it on PT and CT adapter as soon as new driver with workings VLANS is prepared.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Yes, if you force the driver it will install. All works fine my end. Also SD have a more recent http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=2633&lang=fr 12.15.99.9 which i hear installs clean but i haven't tried myself but is only for a select # of NIC's.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

PS. I would test that driver (12.15.99.9) but i have waited almost 2yrs for this and now i have teaming working im not touching my network for now. If the problem isn't broke then dont fix it attitude. Sure someone else here will want to test it and report back.

0 Kudos
JPisa1
Beginner

just for test (don't know which W10 version should I have to make it work) - Win10/1607/14393.576, Intel NIC driver ver. 12.15.99.9, forced installation of I218-LM (have Intel Gigabit CT). Without VLANS, everything works fine as before. When adding VLANs, they are all DISABLED, cannot ENABLE...

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Correct version of Windows so not sure why after the forced install driver shows as disabled. Can you bond using windows 10 bridge? Goto Network sharing>Network connections the right click both active NIC's and select Bridge Connections. You may have to manually assign the ipv4 config settings IP address, Subnet etc.... See if you can get this to work. In the meantime ill ask around and see what others are saying about this driver.

0 Kudos
JPisa1
Beginner

Driver is working fine. I need VLANs at work and at home also. So I installed driver - networking is working. So I tried to add several VLANs, but all of them are "Disabled" (and cannot be enabled). Have just 1 card, so sorry - I can't test bonding, so I did another test ...

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

My bad didn't realise you were having vlan problems. have you seen this /thread/76385?start=45&tstart=0 POST # 57 roymorden talks about an ugly workaround im thinking this may work for you?

Edit: Slow of the mark this morning, he is talk about windows enterprise so not sure if this will work for Win10Pro.

0 Kudos
AStev7
Beginner

I've got the exact same problem as jimmy_cr, able to create VLANs but they're disabled nics and don't enable so aren't useable.

Windows 10 x64

OS Build 14393.577

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

Driver: 12.15.23.7 (04/08/2016)

Can we get confirmation this will also be fixed in February update?

0 Kudos
CKlut
Novice

Well...I've also been following this thread since the beginning since I also need teaming. But what Memories4Life suggested (dubious Stationdb driver) does not work at all. I gave it a shot with all new MS Patches installed but still no avail...so don't bother to try that driver and just wait for intel to release the new one. I don't know why somenbody would suggest a driver that simply doesn't work. Just my 2 cents...

0 Kudos
DPate15
Beginner

Anyone has update on this ?

0 Kudos
JViau
Beginner

Carl_Wilson has mentioned the following on December 13:

"Our re-enabled driver will be version 22.0, which is currently under testing and should be release in early February".

So now, everyone is waiting for February to arrive and hope for the best!

0 Kudos
GVell
Beginner

I wonder, if Intel had disabled teaming support in its driver in response to a bug in Microsoft OS. Is there an older version of the NIC driver that has still teaming enabled and supporting Windows 10? This way we dont have to wait for NIC driver version 22 to be available. All we have to do to have teaming working would be to apply the Microsoft KB3206632 and install the older NIC driver. Has anybody tried this?

Thanks all

0 Kudos