Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4872 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
idata
Employee

Thanks Carl_Wilson!

Can you clear up my question about the download links. Should we expect it to be available here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

Just seemed to me a download link labeled under "Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10" would have the latest and greatest available. Maybe it will just take a few days for all the cross-linking to happen on the back end?

Also, to any users that start a new thread regarding an issue specifically impacting Windows 10 RS1, maybe post a quick link to any new posts here (for those of us watching this thread, in case they need help moving to a new discussion that may be relevant to them)?

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

So then I have to assume that teaming isn't working on any win10 version 1607 above build 14393. Which would be any Preview release slow or fast ring.

Please post here anyone that has teaming working on a Preview release and which build you are on.

0 Kudos
jbond5
Beginner

@Carl_Wilson : so MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is the only Windows version that supports teaming?

This version is 6 month old! And why would Microsoft have then released in fast or slow ring versions of Windows WITHOUT this mysterious "patch" allowing your drivers to work? Knowing that Intel was in contact with Microsoft regarding this teaming issue...

An other thing I don't catch : so Windows 10 was ready to support Intel's teaming 6 month ago already??? I though that was the opposite : Intel's drivers were waiting for Microsoft to update Windows 10 to supports teaming...

0 Kudos
GMulh1
Beginner

You might want to rollback to 15025.rs. I've noticed 15031.rs2 has broke a bunch of stuff. My iSCSI software initiator stopped working with 15031 and there's the (as noted in the release notes) issue with Settings crashing whenever you try to go into "Devices". 15031 also breaks some functionality with Xerox's type-4 print drivers.

No guarantees a rollback will fix it but it is always worth a try.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

So did you get teaming to work on build 15025?

0 Kudos
GMulh1
Beginner

Sorry, I didn't roll back to 15025 (at least not for this) I'm back on 15031. I was just suggesting something to try.

I'm testing Win10 on a Lenovo T460 laptop, teaming isn't really an option, but I did want to get VLANs working. It appears to be working even with 15031. It'll have to wait until I get back to work, and can connect to a trunk port, until I'll know for sure though.

0 Kudos
GMulh1
Beginner

Well scratch that, VLANs aren't working in 15031.rs2 either. The vNICs show up in the network adapters page (one for each VLAN) and everything looks good on the physical NIC, it reports link up and correctly negotiates a dot1q trunk with the switch (confirmed from the switch console) but the vNICs stay disabled. Attempting to enable them does nothing. And viewing the list of configured VLAN adapters (from the physical NIC properties page) shows their status as "Disabled" and the "Modify" button is greyed out.

When I have some time I may roll back to 15025 and try that build.

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

@Carl_Wilson,

I'm on release system, no beta, fully updated.

How can I involve the intel support in the correct way?

I have one not on your points:

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

is NOT beta.

"

Version 1607 (Anniversary Update)

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1", is the second major update to Windows 10 and the first of the 4 major updates planned under the Redstone codenames. It carries the build number 10.0.14393 and version 1607. The first preview was released on December 16, 2015. It was released to the public on August 2, 2016. The Redstone 1 release of Windows 10 is supported for users of the Current Branch (CB) and Current Branch for Business (CBB).

"

It has been released to public via windows update (no Beta updates) and is the supported version.

Hoping this helps.

The beta is Redstone 2

0 Kudos
FKurt
Novice

Hi @Carl_Wilson,

first of all let me thank you for tirelessly pushing this issue during the past 18 months to its conclusion!

Yesterday I performed an update to the new driver and at long last LACP works just like it should (Win 10 x64 LTSB 2016 v1607). It must have been quite a job to get all involved parties to contribute towards this release, internally and especially externally (MS I'm looking at you...). You certainly did a lot to strengthen my faith in Intel customer support - which always helps when it comes to choosing and purchasing new equipment. I believe to be speaking for all of us here in this thread when I say you deserve an employee of the year award (is there some way for us to make this happen?).

Thank you and best regards,

Fabian

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

THANK YOU @Carl_Wilson, you're a hero! Send your team a big thank you!

I'll finally try an upgrade from win 8.1 to Win 10 1607 this week.

0 Kudos
jbond5
Beginner

instead read 2 or 3 messages back, this way you won't waist your time...

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

I just tested it on another PC. Works completely fine.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Latest build 15046 also does not work

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

We don't support Beta version of OSes. Lets see after it launches if there are still issues. In the meantime, you can submit those Beta issues directly to the OS vendor for assistance.

0 Kudos
rShie1
Beginner

Latest build 15048 doesn't work.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Look under OS Independent. They put all the OSes into 1 download. I flagged this to the driver team.

0 Kudos
JNowa3
Beginner

Thanks Carl_Wilson!

Half a year ago I bought a Tp-Link switch with Link Aggregation and Intel PRO/1000 PT Ethernet adapter.

I wanted to boost my local network speed but I saw that is impossible because I installed Windows 10 1607 update. I was looking for information about my problem but have not found anything. Then I found that forum. I would to thank you for your work. I force installed latest update v22.0.1 for my adapter and now I can create TEAMs and VLANs. I am very happy, that now i can continue my project! In future I will buy two next adapters for server and for second PC. Thanks!

P.S.

Sorry for my English i am only fifteen year old student from Poland.

CARL_W_Intel
Employee

desty The Intel(r) PRO/1000 PT is based on the 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller. The last OS that is supported with our 'Retails Drivers' (downloaded from the Intel download center) is Windows 7.

(again, there is an error in the matrix where the 82583V shows a retail driver for Windows 10. It does not have one, only an inbox driver from the OS.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I really want to know how you got the PT card teaming when I try and install it tells me no intel cards found

any suggestions

0 Kudos
JNowa3
Beginner

Hello, I found a trick for my Intel(r) PRO1000/PT, but I think this works for others adapter too!

1. Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10, download the package for your version of system.

2. Use Winrar to extract files.

3. Go to "Device Manager", right click on your adapter and select "Update Driver Software".

4. Click "Browse my computer for driver software", now click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

5. Click "Have disk".

6. Now "Browse..." folder with extracted files. Go to PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS65.

7. Pick first file and search for Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.

8. Install this driver and repeat for other files in NDIS65 folder.

9. Now restart your computer.

10. Now run PROWinx64.exe (PROWinx32.exe) and install driver.

11. You can make teams when you go to "Device Manager" and double click on your adapter.

12. Be happy!

This method worked for me. I hope this help!

0 Kudos
wwelc1
New Contributor II

From discussions of this thread, I got an impression that the OS side was more to be blamed for the issue of teaming under Windows 10. If so, will the Dec. patch from Microsoft enable teaming using NICs from other vendors?

0 Kudos