Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
CUllr
New Contributor I

welcomesorrow wrote:

From discussions of this thread, I got an impression that the OS side was more to be blamed for the issue of teaming under Windows 10. If so, will the Dec. patch from Microsoft enable teaming using NICs from other vendors?

Hardware vendors were always able to provide teaming/VLAN on Windows 10, all through this whole affair. However, at least in Intel's case, installing the teaming driver would render about one in ten systems unusable (and unrecoverable short of reinstallation!). They had to wait until Microsoft fixed that bug before they could release drivers that touched this part of the system.

Intel unfortunately never went into details about what the issue was, but I can understand that.

Other vendors may well have had the same reason not to release updated drivers. After all, their teaming solutions for client OS versions are, and always have been, independent of the OS support (or lack of it). If that is true, there may well be updates forthcoming from those others as well.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

The issue was related to the proper setup/teardown of the mini-port driver. Its a core OS function that all networking vendors use to setup these types of functions.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

AH, FINALLY!!!!

0 Kudos
JReed4
Beginner

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

After all this, you still don't get that it was microsoft who fucked this up initially?

Intel can't make a driver where teaming and vlans work without microsoft releasing a fix for the LTSB builds.

So address microsoft. Since it's a LTSB version, you might be able to pull some leverage there.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

So ... you're a "mission critical communications company", and the best contact you have with Intel is being rude, and wrong, in a community support forum? I'm sure if you would mention the name of your company, @Carl_Wilson can find out who your dedicated support contact is and have them contact you to provide better information.

JReed4
Beginner

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. So let me check my understanding.

I was under the impression that the ANS solution worked in the initial official release of Windows 10. Then later down the road Microsoft broke the functionality as they updated versions of Windows 10. Is that not the case? Did Microsoft break this before the initial release of Windows 10?

0 Kudos
JReed4
Beginner

Ok, I went back the the very beginning of the thread and saw what is now labed as the "correct answer". Sorry completely missed that. I withdraw my issue.

0 Kudos
lmarc3
Beginner

Greetings been following this for a while now. I have my NIC team up and running however i am only seeing one NIC being used. I am only maxing out 1gbps connection it is not using more. has anyone tested this speed and seen it working over 1gbps?

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

I've done it several times in the past, but only with multiple connections over LACP. However, smb3 multichannel could be a solution:

https://youtu.be/K4VnWQPW-f4 Quadruple Your Network Speed for $100 with SMB 3.0 Multichannel! - YouTube

0 Kudos
lmarc3
Beginner

This was copying from 2 different devices on my network. I know you are limited to one NIC for same dest Mac. But this was two separate devices. I did see 1.3gbps while downloading a file from my nas and doing a speed test from speed test.net.

0 Kudos
lmarc3
Beginner

*solved* I changed the ehterchannel load-balance configuration on my switch from Source MAC to Source Dest IP. However this still limits a single connection to one NIC.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Spotted this driver http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=2743&lang=fr Intel Network Connections Software Version 22.1.102.0 WHQL but there isnt any mention about this from anyone within intel camp. Personally i wont be using as im getting ready to move all my systems over to AMD's Ryzen using Realteks 10g network adapters. Im done with intels BS.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

LOL

As far as I know, Intel is the only provider that has released a driver where teaming and vlan works in win10 yet, so quit whining.

As mentioned before.... NOONE could have made a driver where vlan and teaming worked in win10 until MS released their fix. Why is everyone such a bitch about this? Or are you just slow?

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

That is as far as you know. Search realtek nic windows 10 and you will see further than you currently know.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Intel, Microsoft, who cares. Issue is many of us are sick of waiting and have moved on and away from this possibility. By the time it works no one will care anymore.I don't.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

+1 deecol

Back you on that. I'm just finishing of my last project with these intel systems and ill be moving over to amd. The only problem that will be left behind is M$ but Adobe are working on a linux version of CC so as that arrives goodbye M$.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=2743&lang=fr Intel Network Connections Software Version 22.1.102.0 WHQL

None of these drivers were developed this year. (OCT/NOV 2016) yet it took intel months to release them.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

intel has lost the plot, https://www.forbes.com/sites/tiriasresearch/2016/12/06/is-amd-licensing-radeon-graphics-to-intel/# 312676016c40 Is AMD Licensing Radeon Graphics To Intel? I'm not a betting man but if i were to bet id say AMD will be making up huge grounds on intel in coming 12 months or so. Ryzen is just the tip of an iceberg for AMD and right now intel have NO answers.

0 Kudos