Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
GCatt
Beginner

I am trying to install "Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10" and it's crashing my system (system freeze) when I try and install this software. I have tried several times, and my system freezes every time. I downloaded software from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

and also from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapters-Connections-CD

I get the same thing - system freezing. I have an ASUS Z170 Deluxe motherboard that has the Intel 1219-V and 1211 gigabit Ethernet adapters, so I want to use this software to setup a team. I using Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Can you please help me to install the "Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10". I really don't know why my system if freezing every time I install this software, and I would really like to get this to work.

Thank-you!

0 Kudos
GCatt
Beginner

I found the issue that caused my system to freeze when I installed the Intel LAN

driver package. I was trying various software configurations and somewhat by

mistake installed the Intel Management Engine Interface. That did the trick and

I was able to get the Intel LAN driver package to install without freezing my

system. Well, as least it partially installed, as the driver only installed for

one of my adapters (the i211 adapter). I had to remove the i219 adapter and

install the driver manually to get it to work. Everything is now working

correctly and I was able to setup a team using 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation

on my Netgear switch

Does the Intel LAN driver package require the Intel Management Engine Interface software?

If so, that isn't documented anywhere in the release notes.

0 Kudos
GCatt
Beginner

So, I opened an Intel support ticket and ask if the Intel LAN driver package requires the Intel Management Engine Interface software? And here's the response:

"Thank you for your time. Regarding your question about the Intel® Management

Engine Interface software. If it is just basic networking configuration, it is

not needed. If you are using ANS, then you will need it. Please check this

online advisory as it contains information that might be of your

interest. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005667.html Teaming with Intel® Advanced Network Services"

So, Intel admits that the Intel Management Engine Interface software is needed for ANS. I read all the documentation, release notes, readme.txt, etc.. And this isn't documented anywhere. I was just lucky that somewhat by mistake I installed the Intel Management Engine Interface, and then I could then install the Intel LAN drivers without my system freezing. Really Intel, can't you put this requirement in the install section of the release notes? Sure would have saved me a lot of time and trouble. *sigh*

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Preview build 15055 also does not work and this build is very close to the final public build. So is everyone saying that MS plans to fix the binding issue in the public release? I doubt it. The final work is all apps and cosmetic stuff. No more core fixes.Give it up and move on.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

deecol wrote:

No more core fixes.Give it up and move on.

I doubt I'll be able to convince you otherwise, but please note that Redstone 2, Windows 10 1703, the Creators Update, whatever you want to call it, is the release for which Microsoft originally planned this fix to happen. Apparently Intel managed to persuade them to port it back to 1607, which is why we have it now at all.

If the current Intel driver does not work as you expect in Insider Preview releases, that is most likely because Intel, as has been stated here before, explicitly does not support beta versions. As far as I am aware, the installer tests for the presence of the specific fix that was released for 1607, and Preview releases may well fail this check because the fix is built-in.

I have every confidence that the combination of the final RS2 release and the then-current Intel driver (or possibly the first version after RS2 is released) will work. So please stop the defeatist talk (slight :-) here) and wait for the actual, official release of Windows 10 1703, apparently now scheduled for April, yet not going to be called 1704 as would be sensible.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Seeing is believing. I have no reason to believe that being a few preview releases away will be any different. The problem is that the i217 Intel adapters do not bind to ANS.

0 Kudos
VDifi
Beginner

Hello,

Windows Creators Update has been released, I just performed an update. I am able to create a teaming but the "taming" nic remains disable. I tried to enable it, but no luck.

This could be just me, but I wanted to report the issue here in case others are experiencing the same.

Thank you

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Which driver version are you using? 12.15.24.1?

0 Kudos
VDifi
Beginner

12.15.184.0, downloaded the 22.1 package from intel site.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

I have a sneaking suspicion that the creators update / RS2 (15063) will need a new (not yet released) driver, since the fixes microsoft had to make that allowed Intel to get teaming and vlan to work in the first place, probably are implemented different in 1607 and 15063 (1607 had specific KB updates).

However, this is a wild guess.

Carl_Wilson ?
0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

I can also say that the teaming function is still not working with the Creators Build 15063. I have 1-i210 and 1-i219lm. All with the latest drivers as mentioned in this thread.

Creates a team but cannot enable it. Diagnostics says there are problems with the drivers. I will no longer work on this issue since I assume it is a dead issue now especially since Carl Wilson is no longer on the case.

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately, I'm no longer tracking the networking team deliverables for drivers. I moved on to another role within Intel in October and are focusing on other technologies. I agreed to support this thread until the March SW drop that addressed the initial issue and then hand it back to the web support team moving forward.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Carl_Wilson : Do you know anyone else on the team that you can give a hint about this thread? It would be nice to get some updates once in a while. Since creators update is right around the corner, it's a bit of a let down when we just now, after 1,5 years finally get teaming and vlan working, if we loose it again after a month.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What about Server 2016? There's no ANS teaming in RTM (conforms to Win10 1607 build 10.0.14393) even after updates

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

Let me see if I have this straight- the fix which took 1.5 years which targeted the change in Creator's Update was back-ported to 1607. Functionality works in 1607. Reports suggested preview releases of 15063/Redstone 2 broke functionality, and Intel's response was 'we don't support Betas'?

The release Intel targeted breaks functionality. Is it going to be another 1.5 years of blaming Microsoft again?

And just to be clear, release version of RS2 dropped on my machine and broke VLANs.

I just want the functionality Intel advertises. Doesn't matter whose fault it is; Intel advertises VLAN and Teaming functionality in all recent Desktop OSes with their cards, MS doesn't. Intel needs to fix this or provide refunds.

0 Kudos
DCol
Novice

Sounds like a good class action suit to me. I'm in.

Windows 10 RS2 does allow the VLAN and Teaming but diagnostics states there is a driver issue, So Intel is at fault here since they made the drivers, not MS.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

RocketTech wrote:

Let me see if I have this straight-

You don't.

the fix which took 1.5 years which targeted the change in Creator's Update was back-ported to 1607. Functionality works in 1607. Reports suggested preview releases of 15063/Redstone 2 broke functionality, and Intel's response was 'we don't support Betas'?

Yes. Preview releases are, in fact, betas.

The release Intel targeted breaks functionality. Is it going to be another 1.5 years of blaming Microsoft again?

No. It's going to be some weeks after "official" confirmation of which build is the real RS2, just like it took a while after the patch for 1607 was released until the current working driver came out.

With 1607, Intel can determine whether the OS is able to support ANS by checking whether a particular update is installed. With RS2, they cannot, because a) the fix is built in, so there isn't an update with a KB number, and b) they don't know yet which versions of which files will be required because the thing has not been released yet.

Therefore, Intel, and you, will have to wait until there is actually an official release as opposed to the current rumormongering, then Intel will verify that it works using the actual final release bits, and once they are confident it does, there will be a driver release with ANS support for RS2.

And just to be clear, release version of RS2 dropped on my machine and broke VLANs.

So you were on nice, clean, official 14393 and all of a sudden, two weeks ahead of schedule, 15063 installed? To be honest, I doubt that.

I just want the functionality Intel advertises. Doesn't matter whose fault it is; Intel advertises VLAN and Teaming functionality in all recent Desktop OSes with their cards, MS doesn't. Intel needs to fix this or provide refunds.

This, on the other hand, makes sense.

DCol
Novice

I do have the official Creators Update release, not an insider preview/beta, and VLAN/Teaming does not work because of the Intel drivers. And if I have it, so does Intel.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

You have what you believe to be the official release.

Can you point to a statement by Microsoft that 15063 is going to be the Creators Update and that there will be no late-breaking changes between now and the actual release date? I do not mean circumstantial evidence like "15063 has been put into the Slow Ring, and there are just 11 days left until the release, so it must be the one", but something with a name and a job title underneath that says "the current Insider Preview build 15063.xyz is going to be released unmodified as Windows 10 Redstone 2".

And even then, things may change.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

My hat's off to you, sir chrullrich.

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

On the Preview Release ring on the affected machine, which convention dictates is the code complete, feature complete release. Barring a massive security hole or data security issue, this will be the general release. A driver issue will not bump it.

The real issue here is Intel is ignoring the new release cycle of MS products- the model of extensive testing, dog-fooding, review, and golden release is gone. If Intel will commit to only supporting LTSBs, they need to communicate that and remove W10 versions (except Enterprise LTSB) from their supported products list.

Intel themselves claimed RS2 is the release they targeted. Their fix does not work on what they claim was their target. How does that work?

0 Kudos