Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4859 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
CUllr
New Contributor I

It may very well become the release. Right now, it is not, because there is no RS2 release yet. The release, once it comes, is probably going to consist of the same bits in the same order, yes, but they will be different bits because someone in charge will have hung a label on them that says "Creators Update". Then it's a release, and then you will find that Intel will quickly start supporting it.

It took six weeks from the release of the patch for 1607 until Intel let their updated drivers out the door. Even the rumors about 15063 have only been going on for a week or so. Do you really expect Intel to spend six weeks of however many people's work, again, on the assumption that "convention" holds true?

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

You're argument is becoming more and more ridiculous. Of course I expect Intel to support convention.

Even setting all that aside, you're ignoring the statements from Intel that RS2 was the originally targeted release, and the release they based their backported drivers on. By necessity and admission, they supported a 'beta' release.

We find Intel drivers not working in RS2 and the only communication is they aren't communicating about it. Non-LTSB machines have a 35-day window once RS2 is 'released'. It took Intel 1.5 years to fix this issue last time we were in the same boat. Some communication on support right now would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

Not really, it's just that you're working from false premises.

Yes, Intel said that RS2 was the targeted release, but it was Microsoft that targeted it, for fixing the OS bug that forced Intel to stop installing ANS on 10. You may remember that Carl Wilson explained a while ago that a bug in Windows 10 meant that sometimes, while the driver set itself up, something went wrong that nothing short of reinstallation (or reimaging, but that's the same in this context) could recover from.

Intel's drivers could have done teaming all day long on 10, from RTM right up to right now, 14393.970. They just could not risk damaging their customers' systems. Once they found out about the Windows bug, they had to take out ANS to protect their customers (and themselves from said customers' lawyers, of course). I think I remember that it did work right at the start, with 10240 and driver releases before 20.3 (?), but I could be wrong, and if I'm not, I must also have been lucky not to have my system destroy itself.

It was not Intel that backported anything, but Microsoft, whom Intel somehow prevailed upon to backport the fix they developed for RS2 to RS1 (aka 1607) so Intel could release ANS-enabled drivers for that version.

Intel did not claim, or admit, to support a beta release, because they stated they were going to support RS2, which will not be a beta release, but there is no RS2 yet. It took Intel six weeks to fix the(ir) issue, because all they had to do was verify that the patch for 1607 successfully prevented the system from committing accidental suicide. It took them rather longer to get Microsoft to first promise to fix the bug in RS2, and then to also fix it in RS1.

Please read the thread again. It is long and sometimes tedious, but it will help you understand the problem.

tl;dr: A Windows bug kept Intel from releasing ANS-enabled drivers. The fix was originally scheduled for RS2, but Microsoft also fixed it in RS1. Intel has provided ANS-enabled drivers for all production versions of Windows 10 that do not have the bug. Currently, the only such version is RS1 with the required update (I'm too lazy to look up which one that is). The next will be RS2, once it starts existing. Insider Preview build 15063 is not RS2, but RS2, when it is released, may well be build 15063.

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

I did read the whole thread. Intel offers VLAN support for Windows 10, Microsoft doesn't, simple as that. When a product Intel offers doesn't work as Intel promises, that's an Intel issue to resolve. If Intel needs Microsoft's help, that's on them, not me.

You can argue about what is release and what is not. I'll concede 'Preview Release' is not the 'Golden Release', but that line is significantly blurred, and Microsoft's stated convention is that 'Preview Release' is code complete, feature complete, and simply an early release for professional evaluation and integration, making it ready to go on the official release. If you know of some other convention or other facts contradicting this convention, you need to lay them out.

15063 is the RS2 build, per Microsoft, aka 'Creator's Update'. Pedantry doesn't change that.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

From driver release 20.3 to the last one before 22, Intel did not claim to offer ANS on Windows 10, in fact, they included more or less bold-faced warnings that it was not supported. What they may have advertised the hardware as supporting is another thing, there they may have made problematic claims.

The line between preview and final release is not blurred. A preview is what you can download (or barely keep from downloading itself), a final release is what you can buy in a store. As I said, they may well be the same bits in the same order, but what counts is whether Microsoft calls it a "preview" or not. I rather suspect Intel is already evaluating 15063 to make sure they can provide working drivers for it as soon as possible after the release, but the release has not happened yet.

What Microsoft's convention is for the qualities and properties of preview releases is hardly binding on Intel, or on anyone else. Intel's convention, because you asked, is to support production releases only.

Microsoft may have said, and I would appreciate a link to that statement, that RS2 will be 15063, but I am not aware of a 15063 that does not still have the word "preview" somewhere on it.

0 Kudos
PG9
Beginner

15063 Is RS2 it's final in as much as any other release has been and is now receiving cumulative updates, the behaviour of the driver is the same as when Intel actively blocked teaming to avoid the issues whilst the bug was still in play with Win 10. I am hoping that the is issue is merely some sort of OS version or KB check issue on the driver side, but we do need some clarification on this, but with Carl having moved on I'm not too hopeful.

I bought a new I350 T4 as soon as this driver went live and now I'm stuck out of pocket and somewhat fed up with the whole debacle, personally I'll be keeping a close eye on this situation for the next few weeks, but I won't be waiting long, there are other chipsets out there.

0 Kudos
PG9
Beginner

15063 Is RS2 it's final in as much as any other release has been and is now receiving cumulative updates, the behaviour of the driver is the same as when Intel actively blocked teaming to avoid the issues whilst the bug was still in play with Win 10. I am hoping that the is issue is merely some sort of OS version or KB check issue on the driver side, but we do need some clarification on this, but with Carl having moved on I'm not too hopeful.

I bought a new I350 T4 as soon as this driver went live and now I'm stuck out of pocket and somewhat fed up with the whole debacle, personally I'll be keeping a close eye on this situation for the next few weeks, but I won't be waiting long, there are other chipsets out there.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Creators Update was indeed officially released in March, not beta or preview. My MSDN TechNet DVD is labeled "en_windows_10_enterprise_version_1703_updated_march_2017_x64_dvd_10189290.iso". I installed the update and all seemed well before logging in when I noticed my network connection was not working. I waited several minutes for it to connect and finally decided to just log in and see what was wrong. I got an instant blue screen before even hitting the desktop. In safe mode I discovered my team was gone and Microsoft had replaced the Intel drivers on all four network cards with their own Microsoft driver from 2011. I updated the driver for each NIC back to the 22.1 Intel driver that had been installed, and created a new team, but it could not be enabled, even after a reboot. I had no more blue screens at this point, but my team wouldn't enable. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel drivers and then discovered I could no longer create any teams, even after a reboot, the feature was missing. After waiting almost 2yrs for teaming to work on Windows 10 again, it's gone a month later. SO DISAPPOINTING!!!

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

I said this before and ill say it again INTEL doesnt care if ANS is working because their 10g NIC's are selling better than those over priced CPU's to both consumers and Maufactures. Carl_Willson was used to tame the hot heads here which gave intel time to work out if they could face any legal challenges and thats a FACT. If anyone from Intel fancies a challenge on my claims feel free to enter a debate with me. ill blow the whistle so hard you'll end up deaf.

And for the record MS never broke teaming/ANs and the rest. These are not MS products/code. All MS done was changed code within the OS which they are entitled to do which in turn stopped Intel's code from working correctly. So who is to blame? INTEL, and why are they not accepting and/or dealing with this? simple... PROFIT. This time round intel you have gone to far and believe me you couldn't have chossen a better/worse time (which ever way you want to look at it) because AMD will be here to pounce on your disgruntled customers with a series of products that wipe your CPU's off the floor.

0 Kudos
AAmat1
Beginner

Don't hold your breath pal.

This is not your Daddy's 'Intel' anymore ...

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

As stated before, the bug for RS2 is an Intel driver bug. The RS2 OS can properly teaming, we have to make a small change to our driver stack to make it work, that will come in a few weeks. This is a completely separate issue from why Windows 10 (up until RS1 with the hot-fix and RS2 native) could not support teaming/VLANs (which is why it was removed from our previous releases). Below is my last response.

Correct Answerby Carl Wilson on Apr 10, 2017 12:16 PM

OK, this is my last update. I promise.

So... the actual response from the engineering team for RS2 is... we will have a fix for RS2 ANS/Teaming in revision 22.3 of the software driver (a new Intel issue, not related to the previously required OS changes for RS1). This 22.3 SW release should be out end of May/first part of June. So not too far away.

This is also why our driver releases for new OSes are almost always after the OS release. We have to wait until the final RTM build is complete before we can run our final test passes on it. In this case, the ANS needed changes from RS1 in order to make teaming functional again. The 22.1 SW release currently available was not for RS2 support explicitly.

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

Carl, I think what most of us would like to know: Is this the way Intel is going to be on drivers going forward? Constantly breaking, and then waiting months to years for the fix? We NEED to know because that doesn't work in Today's SaaS world with restrictive update tempos.

0 Kudos
MM69
Beginner

New driver 22.3 ist out now. Teaming (dynamic link aggregation) with Windows 10 Professional x64 1703 works with this driver for me. Problems solved.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Wrong...The Nic's are teaming but test your transfer speeds? Yeah just as i thought you are only using one NIC even though you are teaming with multiple nic's. Another joke driver from intel.

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

I think this is not completely incorrect, depends on you configuration as well as switch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation Link aggregation - Wikipedia

Are you sure you're able to generate "non bind" traffic that is more than 2gb ?

If you copy a file that's "bind" traffic to a single process/port and it will not use both cards (as far as I know)

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

Team,

I've installe 22.3 but every time I try to create or modify a team I get a bluescreen.

These are 2 two I got:

Error: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000010, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80188164a3c).

Error: 0x00000019 (0x0000000000000020, 0xffffb58e93505b68, 0xffffb58e935065d8, 0x0000000034a7ea38)

It happens when/if I disable a team or any component.

Does this happen only to me ?

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

I got £25,000 worth of computer systems here and all teaming worked fine under win 8.1 and NEVER under win10. you think i should know right? THe fact you are seeing blue screens again supports this "the drivers dont freaking work" end of.

0 Kudos
MWeis4
Beginner

so just installed Creator Update 1703 today everything went fine, but after finishing installation i had no network connectivity (Intel 219). My previous VLANs had been deleted. I created them again, but they are deactived and if i try to activate them - nothing happens

0 Kudos
CSchw8
Beginner

Same as previous poster.

I had a working Team on Win10 Anniversary update.

Today I updated to Win10 1703.

As expected Team was lost.

Recreating Team left it inactive. Members are shown as inactive in Team-view, despite being shown as active in Windows Network view.

Conclusio: Intel ANS is broken again.

PG9
Beginner

I started a new thread specific to this:

/message/465937# 465937 Re: Windows 10 Teaming on RS2 Build 15063 once again disabled. Hi ,

After further confirmation, there's still no timeline on when an updated driver will be posted to support Teaming on Windows RS2 build 15063.

Kindly visit our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ in the near future for updated release.

regards,

Vince---------------------------------------------------

So it's not looking so good for a rapid release folks!

0 Kudos
GCatt
Beginner

Thanks for letting everyone know that ANS is not working on the new Windows 10 release.

I set my system updates to "Defer Feature Updates", so hopefully I can delay updating my system until Intel has the new drivers ready.

0 Kudos