Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

I218-V driver CD-ROM

idata
Employee

I have just tried to update my NIC driver for an I218-V adapter built into my motherboard. The driver downloads (allegedly version 21.0) & the install begins, but at a certain point it prompts me for a CD-ROM. I have no idea what I am supposed to supply in the way of a CD-ROM. I'm attaching a screen snip of the error.

I don't know what to do at this point so I just click Cancel. That generates this:

OK. So here I am contacting my technical support group.

HELP . . .

Message was edited by: WildWilly Kredentser 2016/8/24 10:45 EDT: What? Nobody in this world of billions and billions of people knows how to help me with this issue?

Message was edited by: WildWilly Kredentser 2016/8/24 11:20 EDT: To the kind gentlemen who tried to help me in the chat, THANK YOU! The chat was accepting about every 10th or 20th message I was trying to type so I only just barely managed to get it across that I wanted somebody to look at this post and respond to it. I think I did just manage to get that accomplished. That chat application needs some work. In any case, thank you again to Eugenio and Rolando.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi GrampaWildWilly,

Thank you for posting your query in Wired Ethernet Communities.

with the error 1714. The older version of Intel(R) Network Connections cannot be removed.

Please try out the steps mentioned in this link to remove your link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005781.html

Regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi GrampaWildWilly,

We'd like to check if you still need assistance regarding I218-V adapter.

Regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for checking, Vince. I have had a sudden spurt of other things occupying my time and I have not yet gotten to this. But I will and I will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK. I finally put together some time to try to deal with this. I tried following your instructions about manually removing things from my registry. This did not clear the problem. I did, however, have a computer with no drivers for my network card. There were a few minutes of very stressful worry involved there until I finally figured out exactly how to get Windows to install a NIC driver that it must have installed when I installed Windows 7. I did install Windows 7 Pro on this computer myself a few months ago. Something got automatically installed that made the network connection work. So I hunted around for what looked promising. Part of my hunt was to boot my W7 install disk from my removable CD/DVD drive. Fortunately, I was not able to find anything that worked. I say fortunately because I feel I was on the verge of destroying my system completely, necessitating another complete install from the ground up, a prospect I distinctly did not relish. So then I thought maybe I can just go into the Device Manager & install something from there. I did finally settle upon (after a couple of attempts to do things that led to dead ends) searching my computer manually for drivers to install. There was an extremely lengthy list of choices under the Intel heading. I finally settled upon something that had the string I210 in its name. That seemed close to the device name I happened to have mentioned in the E-mail I got as a result of being subscribed to this list, and which was squirreled away in my E-mail client, which is a good thing because I had essentially no network connection due to my having totally removed the NIC driver that had been on this system. So I picked this one driver & it seemed to install. More than seemed to. Clearly, since I am here posting this comment, I did manage to install something that works. According to Device Manager, I have this:

I now have a working network connection once again. I don't think I will be attempting to update this driver again. This experience was entirely too painful & stressful. I have no desire to repeat it. This connection works, and works well. Firefox connects to the Internet, evidence being this post. My E-mail works. Spotify works. My ISP tells me my network connection performance at the present moment is this:

Download Speed: 4.38 Mbps (547.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 0.67 Mbps (83.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 14 ms

Jitter: 1 ms

9/10/2016, 2:44:32 PM

Good enough! It ain't broke! I ain't fixing it any further! But I do appreciate your paying attention to my request for help. Too bad it didn't help, but thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi GrampaWildWilly, glad to know your network connection is working again.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos