Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I218-V stopped working on Linux after the driver was updated on Windows

fabul
Novice

I have an ASRock H97 Pro 4 motherboard which has the Intel I218-V ethernet adapter built in. I have been dual booting Windows 10 and Linux (Arch) for years without ethernet issues. On Sunday, I was using Windows and it installed some updates. According to Windows' update history this also included this driver update: "Intel - Net - 12.19.0.16".
After booting back to Linux on that day, I noticed that I can't connect to anything inside and outside my network anymore. Using Wireshark on Linux I could see that I'm still receiving all broadcast messages from my local network, but if I try to send anything anywhere, it just doesn't arrive. I tested this with a notebook connected to the same switch, which has no connectivity problems but does not receive packets sent from my problematic system. Using a PCIe Wifi Adapter works without issues. I tried downgrading recently upgraded packages on Linux and older Kernel versions to no avail. I even booted a live Ubuntu system where it also doesn't work at all. Wake on LAN also seems to have stopped working (I regularly used it). In my UEFI setup there's an online update function which uses the adapter and it also doesn't work anymore.
The only way to use the adapter is on Windows, where it works just as it always used to. It's also the only system that had an upgrade directly related to the network card right before everything broke.
I tried downgrading the Windows driver to a previous version through the device manager, but nothing changed (still works on Windows, broken on everything else).

I couldn't really find other people with the same issue. I'm out of ideas and don't understand how it could break in such a way. I'm sure it's not a hardware issue and not related to my home network, as everything still works fine on Windows.

Any help would be highly appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution
fabul
Novice

Last night I flipped the switch on my PSU so my PC got no power. Today I turned it on again and booted my Linux system... and now the ethernet adapter works!
I still don't quite understand what was going on, but my issue is fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello fabul,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the link below for the instructions.

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, we will follow after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
fabul
Novice

Thank you for your response!

I have attached the SSU logs to this reply. I ran the tool both on my Linux and my Windows system. Please note my Linux distribution is not officially supported by this tool, and in the Windows log I censored my public IPv6 prefix in line 150 for privacy

0 Kudos
fabul
Novice

Last night I flipped the switch on my PSU so my PC got no power. Today I turned it on again and booted my Linux system... and now the ethernet adapter works!
I still don't quite understand what was going on, but my issue is fixed.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello fabul,

Thank you for the update.

We are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. With this, please be informed that we will now close this case. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos