Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

[I219-LM] Adding VLANs result in BSOD on Windows 10 Build 1803 with Intel driver on HP and Lenovo notebooks

SLübk
Novice

Dear Intel support community!

My Lenovo P50 notebook is using an Intel "I219-LM" chipset. In my current job it's required to configure different VLANs. In Windows 7 using VLANs with this SAME notebook and Intels latest driver worked like a charm and was really comfortable. Unfortunately my company wanted to get rid of Win7 so I have to use Win 10 now.

Using VLANs with the network driver from Lenovo was not possible under Win10 as they seem to have disabled the VLAN tab in driver. So I had to update the driver to version 24.1, 24.2 or 24.3 . But all these versions result in a BSOD with message "BAD_POOL_CALLER" as soon as you create a VLAN. Exactly the same happens with the HP ZBook G3-G5 series notebooks. 

According to some forum entry I heard that Intel can't reproduce this error. Nevertheless I'd like to fix this issue!

Who can help me?! Thank you and best regards,

Sven

0 Kudos
39 Replies
SLübk
Novice

If anyone from Intel wanted to analyze kernel "minidumps" I can provide some files and would be glad if someone can point me to the root cause of this issue! Thank you!

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

BIOS and driver is up-to-date! Windows version can't be updated but updating doesn't fix it according to another user who has the same problem!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SLübk,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please share the exact Windows 10 build version you used as well as the steps done to create/add VLAN.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

Hallo CrisselleC,

thank you for your answer!

My Windows 10 version is: Microsoft Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1006). I can't find more exact information.

I tried adding VLANs by using the VLAN tag of the network driver configuration. Clicking on "Add", type in the number (i.e. 1234), go to OK, and then the system crashes.

I also tried via PowerShell:

Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets"   Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM" -VLANID 0,1234

That will also lead to a crash.

Thank you for your help!

BR,

Sven

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Sven,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Please check and provide the following details.

1.) You have mentioned that you have tried to add VLAN using the VLAN tag of the network driver configuration. Clicking on "Add", type in the number (i.e. 1234), go to OK. With this, we'd like to confirm if you are referring to the Intel® PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility?

3.) We would suggest to perform clean installation of the driver.  

a. Open Windows* Device Manager:  

Windows® 10:Right-click Start > Device Manager

b. Double-click Network adapters to expand the section.

c. Right-click the Intel® Ethernet Connection (model) and select Properties.

d. Click the Driver tab.

e. Click Uninstall.

f. Check "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK.

g. Press the Windows key + R, then type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) delete everything from that folder, then install latest driver from the Intel Download Center or from your board manufacturer.

4.) After the clean driver installation, you may try to add VLANs again with the following steps.

a. Open Windows Powershell as administrator.

b. Import the PROSet Powershell* module using this command: Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets"

c. Type "Get-IntelNetAdapter" to display the name of your network adapter.

d. Type "Add-IntelNetVLAN" to initiate the creation of a VLAN.

e. PowerShell will prompt for VLAN ID

For tagged VLAN, type the desired VLAN ID.

For example: VLAN ID = 9

To create an untagged VLAN, type VLAN ID = 0

When prompted for "ParentName", you can use the name of your network adapter from the "Get-IntelNetAdapter" output.

You may visit this link for Intel® PROSet for Windows PowerShell* Software

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-io.html

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Sven

We'd like to check if you still encounter BSOD issue after creating VLANs using powershell. Please share an update on this matter.

In case you have additional questions and clarifications on this request, please let us know and we will be glad to be of help.

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

Hallo Crisselle!

Sorry for the delay.

2.) You have mentioned that you have tried to add VLAN using the VLAN tag of the network driver configuration. Clicking on "Add", type in the number (i.e. 1234), go to OK. With this, we'd like to confirm if you are referring to the Intel® PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility?

No, I didn't mean the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility (which I installed, but didn't find yet). I meant the direct network driver by opening the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and double-clicking the i219-LM driver entry under "Network adapters". If the latest driver was installed, you can find the VLAN tab there.

I'll try your instruction for a fresh installation of the driver now, but will answer in a separate answer (due to probable blue screen).

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

OK, I did all the steps you described above under 3.) and 4.), without any error message. After executing "Add-IntelNetVLAN" it requests for a "ParentName[0]:". I entered "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM" as printed by "Get-IntelNetAdapter". As VLAN[0] I entered 2304 and as VLAN[1] I entered 0 (for untagged). For VLAN[2] I just pressed enter. After that it takes approx. 10-15seconds....and then BLUESCREEN again (BAD_POOL_CALLER).

Luckily it didn't end in a boot loop and Windows 10 restored the last working driver again.

Please help us!!! Thank you!

BR,

Sven

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Sven

Thank you for the update.

Please allow us to further check on this. Rest assured that we will provide an update within 3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ggbm
Beginner

Hello CriselleC,

i am owning a Lenovo P52 (20MA) with a I219-LM networkdevice and suffer from similar issues. Half year ago i have already created a topic in the Lenovo forums and a Lenovo service ticket, but Lenovo declined my ticket by telling me its "our of scope".

I tried different Windows versions, different driversetups, clean installations, and so on... but nothing helped fixing the blue screens. VLAN never worked properly on the device.

I followed your instruction... setting up vlan 2 is fine, after i try to create untagged vlan my computer crashes with a blue screen again with bad pool caller or kernel mode heap corruption bluescreen.

You can get all the informations (windows versions, driver versions, pictures, errors, test runs...) from the following Lenovo thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P52-VLAN-creation-crash-with-Bluescreen-BSOD/td-p/4502124

Thank you for the investigation!

Best regards,

Fabian

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Sven

Thank you for the additional information that you shared. Please give us 3-4 business days to further check this issue.

By the way, can you also tell us the reason why Lenovo told you that the issue is out of scope? Can you share more details about their findings?

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

Hi Mike!

You probably wanted to ask @ggbm​ . But let me tell you my point of view regarding:

By the way, can you also tell us the reason why Lenovo told you that the issue is out of scope?

VLANs are not widely used at customer side. I'd assume that 90% of the customers don't use them, so 90% is satisfied, as the plain NIC is working without any issue.

@ggbm​ : Could you please provide the other information?! Thank you!

@MikeL_Intel​  I attached an archive of Minidumps which my Windows 10 machine created some days ago. Hopefully you can use them to analyze this issue. In case you need any additional information, don't hesitate to contact me! Thank you!

Best regards,

Sven

0 Kudos
ggbm
Beginner

Hello Mike,

the reason is that the issue has no high priority for Lenovo. I created my ticket #408W9FG at lenovos service contractor (https://www.managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com/mtsarva/lenovo.html) on 14.08.2019.

They called me the next day:

1. Support: Hello, is VLAN the same as WLAN? Do you have WLAN issues?
  2. ggbm: I explain the customer service what VLAN of their own product is. And kindly ask them to read my service request again - the problem is explained very clear.
  3. Support: Ask me to check Lenovo forum for help and reads my own forum post.
  4. Support: Please wait 10 minutes, i need to clarify with technician.
  5. Support: Hello again, its out of our scope. We can't help you. Try to clarify the problem with intel or Microsoft or re-open a ticket in some month.
  6. ggbm: I don't agree. This is unsatisfying answer as you are the manufacturer.
  7. Support: Sorry, we can't help you.

After the call Lenovo closed my ticket with the following feedback:

"Update to your Lenovo service case: 408W9FG | Thank you for contacting Lenovo. Your case: 408W9FG has been solved and closed. MT: 20M9 Serialnummer: <hidden>. In case of other questions feel free to contact us again. We might contact you again to give us feedback in our customer satisfaction survey. Thank you in advance for participating. Best regards your Lenovo service team" [translated from german]

Please check my thread in lenovo forums for detailed information of the issue: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P52-VLAN-creation-crash-with-Bluescreen-BSOD/td-p/4502124

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

Just in case someone is wondering: In Germany "WiFi" is called "WLAN"...I don't know whether this term is used elsewhere...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@ggbm​ , This is very disappointing, but typical of the support I see Lenovo providing. Lenovo is not alone, but is certainly leading the wave of manufacturers who are not supporting their product.

Doc

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Sven and Fabian,

Thank you for the update.

1.) Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility and download the software.

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

2.) We would like to double check if you have tried to use the driver provided by your manufacturer and try to create VLANs using the advanced tab on device manager?

3.) Is it possible to share the Minidumps in a text file type?

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ggbm
Beginner

Hi CrisselleC,

thanks for your support in advance. I attached you the requested information as zip with the following content:

1) SSU log as SSU_P52_VLAN_Issue.txt

2) Minidump 02.12.2019 12:36: 120219-37812-01.dmp + windbg analysis as txt

3) Minidump 02.12.2019 12:50: 120219-37375-01.dmp + windbg analysis as txt

Both Minidumps being directly connected to the VLAN-issue:

2) happened using PROSet 22.1 driver and Powershell. VLAN ID2 could be created, crashed after creation of UNTAGGED / VLAN ID0 creation.

3) happened using PROSet 24.3 driver and "Intel(R) PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility" again, VLAN ID2 could be created, but crashed at creation of UNTAGGED / VLAN ID0.

2.) We would like to double check if you have tried to use the driver provided by your manufacturer and try to create VLANs using the advanced tab on device manager?

>Yes i have tried manufacturer driver. There is no advanced tab on device manager in Windows 10 for VLAN at the moment - not with manufacturer driver, nor with Intel driver (this is only existing in Windows 7, which is not installed). Nevertheless the I219-LM properties say that VLAN is supported. This is why i tried PROSet driver in first place. With PROSet 24.2 and below you could only add via Powershell. With Intel 24.3 there is a new tab in "Intel(R) PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility" with allows adding VLAN without Powershell.

Best regards

Fabian

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

Hallo Crisselle!

I have attached the requested information as well. Comparing the WinDbg output of Fabian and me I wondered that they are more different than I thought. But it seems that in both crashes

iansw60e+0x81a8

was executed. After searching the internet I found

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470s-bad-pool-caller-VLAN-blue-screen/td-p/3992125/page/2

but I couldn't find the software "Intel Online Connect" on my PC (which was uninstalled and solved that issue according to that thread). There seem to be other guys having this issue:

https://animusprime.blogspot.com/2017/12/bugcheck-when-using-intel-advanced.html

Interesting!

Of course I also tried (and have currently installed) the driver provided by Lenovo. I can confirm that there is no VLAN tab/option in the advanced tab in Device manager. As far as I remember the Intel cmdlets are even not installed by the "Lenovo" driver. But as soon as you call them (from the original Intel driver), it results in a BSOD again.

Best regards,

Sven

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Sven and Fabian,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

However, it seems you missed to attach the SSU log file from your system Sven. This would help us to further check and compare the details from your system and Fabian's system.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
SLübk
Novice

Hallo Crisselle!

The SSU log is in the 7z-archive. However...I'll attach it here directly!

BR,

Sven

0 Kudos