Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

I219-LM packet drop when fragmented

shlagevuk
Beginner

Hi,

I have some problem with using  integrated LAN controler I219-LM (rev 20). As the title said there is a lot of dropped packet when fragmenting  is used.

I'm not an expert in diagnostic with network so if you have tools to use or command to run to narrow down the problem, I can do.

Some information about the system, problem is replicated on two identical laptop:

Dell latitude 5420

Ubuntu 20.04

Bios updated to the latest from Dell (v1.6)

Latest stable e1000e driver from Intel (3.8.7)

kernel 5.8.0-53

Problem was identified when using the laptop, everything using network is slow with a lot of renegociation with ipsec tunnel for example.
When digging, we've seen that simple ping work without drop, but as soon as the ping packet need to be fragmented, there is up to 80% of packet dropped.

ping x.x.x.x -> ok
ping x.x.x.x -s 3000 -> lot of dropped packet

When checking what is happening on the remote computer all packet are received and send back, but lot of fragmented packet seem to be dropped when comming back at LAN adapter.

There is no problem using another LAN adapter (using the one from a usb-c dock station).

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello shlagevuk,

How are you today? I am just sending another follow up and hoping that you are now talking with Dell for further assistance. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello shlagevuk,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you using an onboard I219-LM?

2. Is it working fine before?

3. Can you share the link of your latest driver?

4. What are the other troubleshooting steps that you tried so far?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
shlagevuk
Beginner

Hi Michael,

1. Yes I'm using the onboard ethernet NIC, I219-LM rev 20.

2. No It never worked properly, we have the same problem with another Dell latitude 5420 laptop.

3. The latest driver I've installed is https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/e1000e%20stable/3.8.7/

4. I've tried lowering down the network speed down to 10Mbps, other than that not much as I'm not used to troubleshot ethernet interface. The problem stay the same whatever the speed or cable.

When tested with another NIC (either the integrated wifi, or an external ethernet card) everything works fine.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shlagevuk,

Thank you for the quick reply. Upon checking by default I219-LM, does not support your OS. However since the network card is embedded on your laptop. The manufacturer of the laptop may have altered the NIV to support other OS. Here is the supported OS I219-LM.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

In this case, as much as we want to further help you. the best support team who can assist you is the manufacturer of the laptop. Here is the support link of Dell so that you can start communicating with them.

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-sg/category/contact-information

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shlagevuk,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you are now talking to Dell regarding the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shlagevuk,

I hope this message finds you well. We are just making another follow up hoping that you are now talking to Dell.

Aside from that, we would like to suggest to contact sourceforge site. Because you also mentioned that you downloaded the drivers from the same site so you may also request assistance from them.

https://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shlagevuk,

How are you today? I am just sending another follow up and hoping that you are now talking with Dell for further assistance. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos