Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

I219-V/I225-V connected to NetGear JGS524Ev2 losing connection with v27.3 drivers on Windows 11

AndyMac60
New Contributor I

After a lot of testing and discussions between Intel and Asus (motherboard vendor) I want to report that I am still having issues with the latest Intel drivers for I219-V and especially I225-V onboard adapters. I have confirmed that the adapters are all using the latest NVM/firmware and that the issue does NOT happen with the Windows 11 OOTB drivers.

Full setup is as follows:

• Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E (with 2x I225-V adapters, one connected)
  • Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI-Hero (with I219-V adapter)
  • Asus ROG MAXIMUS X-Code (with I219-V adapter)

all on the latest BIOS, running Windows 11 latest build (Release Candidate Insider) and all of them connected to a NetGear JGS524Ev2 gigabit switch which is running its latest firmware and has been checked with NetGear support via a remote support session.

When running Windows 11 OOTB drivers everything is working fine and connections are stable and do not drop.

When using the Intel drivers, or the ASUS OEM version of the Intel drivers (possibly even since v26.x, although can't be specific around timing as has seemed to get worse over time) and certainly with the v27.2 and v27.3 drivers --- the network connection will get dropped and show as disconnected on Windows after the device has been sleeping (typically longer times of sleep, have tried with hybrid sleep enabled or disabled). The driver does not show an error and the switch shows the connection as "live" but the connection is shown as "no network" in Windows.

I have also raised this with NetGear to see if they are aware of, or can reproduce the issue - but would also like to understand if Intel (or anyone else on the forum) has seen this behaviour and whether this has been with NetGear, or any similar, switches. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AndyMac60,

Thank you for your patience. 

Please see below feedback from our engineers. 

What differences in capabilities/behaviours are there between the switches/routers that had the problem and the router that showed no problem for Asus? 

Unfortunately, we cannot provide a concrete information about you inquiry as we had not replicated the issue. Possible that the fix was included in the 22H2 or a compatibility issue with CISCO SG95-24. There is a lot of things that we should consider such as OS itself, firmware from router manufacturers. The issue was not replicated on 27.4 so we can confirm that this is not driver related.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused but we are happy to hear that the issue was already resolved.

Feel free to let us know if we can now proceed closing this thread. 

Awaiting to hear from you. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AndyMac60,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that we are still waiting for the feedback from our engineering team. Rest assured that we will forward it to you once we heard from them. We will send another update within 3 business days regarding this matter. 

Thank you for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AndyMac60,

How are you doing? I hope you are doing great!

We apologize for the delay on this matter. We are still waiting for the feedback from our engineers regarding the update on the investigation. We will forward it to you as soon as there is any. 

Please expect another update within 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AndyMac60,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below update from our engineering team and feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications.

Our engineering team was unable to replicate the disconnection after sleep running latest drivers 27.4. Please try to reinstall the latest 27.4 and check if the issue persist.  

Download the file needed here

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html?wapkw=intel%20ethernet%20adapter%20complete%20driver%20pack

I225 NDIS driver directory: \PRO2500\Winx64\NDIS68

I219 NDIS driver directory: \PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS68

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

I know Asus have been able to reproduce the issue (unsure if they've tried 27.4) "BU replied that, till now, we have two test results: 1. network has no problem; 2. network disconnect directly. Please help confirm whether you have same situation as we had. In addition, however, after lots of tests, we found this problem only appeared with switch CISCO SG95-24, we changed to NETCORE NS318, all worked normally." so it seems an issue that relates to the switch/router in use.

I have now upgraded my PCs to Windows 11 22H2 (Insider Preview, Release Preview Ring) and 27.4 and am not seeing the problem any more - but I am not sure if this was 22H2 or 27.4 which fixed this (and I'm not in a position to regress the machines to test that). 

Having said that, I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that I had seen the issue with 27.4 on Windows 11 21H2 and regressed to the OOTB drivers before I upgraded to 22H2, when I tried it again. Maybe there has been a Windows 11 21H2 update since which has helped resolve the issue?

Anyway, for me, it looks like the issue is now resolved - but it may be worth feeding back to your team that Asus were seeing issues when connected to specific switches, to see if there is a deeper root cause that needs to be looked at to make sure that it does not surface at some point in the future: 

Summary of routers/switches I know have been tested: following had the problem: CISCO SG95-24 (test by Asus), NETGEAR JGS524Ev2 and FRITZ!Box 7590 (router); while following did NOT have the problem: NETCORE NS318 (tested by Asus). My question would then be: what differences in capabilities/behaviours are there between the switches/routers that had the problem and the router that showed no problem for Asus?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AndyMac60,

Appreciate your effort in sharing feedback from Asus as well as your observation. 

We are glad to hear that issue is now resolved. We will also forward your feedback to our engineers regarding update from Asus and get back to you once we have information from our engineering team.

Thank you again for your kind cooperation on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AndyMac60,

Thank you for your patience. 

Please see below feedback from our engineers. 

What differences in capabilities/behaviours are there between the switches/routers that had the problem and the router that showed no problem for Asus? 

Unfortunately, we cannot provide a concrete information about you inquiry as we had not replicated the issue. Possible that the fix was included in the 22H2 or a compatibility issue with CISCO SG95-24. There is a lot of things that we should consider such as OS itself, firmware from router manufacturers. The issue was not replicated on 27.4 so we can confirm that this is not driver related.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused but we are happy to hear that the issue was already resolved.

Feel free to let us know if we can now proceed closing this thread. 

Awaiting to hear from you. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

I have reproduced this random disconnect issue with Intel i225v, as follows:

1. Windows 10 v21H2 Enterprise with May, June, July 2022 Microsoft quality update/patch (NOTE: This has been a very long-time problem).

2. Netgear XS724EM with firmware 1.0.2.0. (NOTE: Early release of this switch had known compatibility issue on its SFP+ 10G ports with Intel SFP+ 10G NIC's but that was patched in firmware, and also is NOT relevant to this 2.5G copper configuration).

3. Asus motherboard ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO, with Intel Z590 chipset, stepping/revision 3 of the i225v dual-port NIC chipset.

4. The following drivers were tested and ALL have this disconnect issue as described (e.g. physical link status shows up but Windows driver after a random period of time and usage will flip to status showing its down with full loss of connectivity):

4a. Asus OEM drivers 1.0.2.8 (from their website).

4b. Intel Wired 27.3.

4c. Intel Wired 27.4 (Windows 10 device manager shows version 1.1.3.28).

WORKAROUND (which is terrible):

1. Disable ALL i225v Power Save.

2. Disable ALL i225v Auto-Negotiation.

NOTES:

If you do not disable link speed auto-negotiate, then startup and shutdown of Windows 10 takes an abnormally very long period of time, can crash with BSOD and when debugged traceback to Intel Driver Timeout error (rare but it has happened numerous times).

The Netgear switch is capable of 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G on 24 ports of Rj45 copper; the 2 ports of SFP+ 10G are shared with last 2 ports of copper RJ45, and are both connected in SFP 1G mode using LACP to a Cisco SG300-24 secondary switch (for clarity the Cisco switch is NOT connected to the adversely affected i225v ports directly).

Summary:

I'm hoping Intel can patch their drivers and/or provide another NVM firmware update like Intel did for the Z490 series with early-generation 1-2 of i225v chipset so this is more stable and cross-compatible with more Multi-Gig switches like Netgear.

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

Happy for thread to be closed

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello AndyMac60,

Thank you for confirming that we can now close this thread. If you may have any other inquiry in the future, just feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Please also accept our apologies for the delay on our response and inconvenience caused. 

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Hello blogthis, 

We are sorry to hear that you are having the same issue. We would suggest posting your query on a new thread so we can further check on it. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos