Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I219-V ProSET cable test results

KSteg1
Beginner

​I have I219-V network adapter connected to almost proprietary optical fiber router with all settings locked by ISP. Cable length is around 15m (2m cat6 (non-shielded) + 11m cat7 (manually patched on one side with cat5.e compliant non-shielded rj45 connector for stranded cables) + 2m cat6 (shielded)). I noticed that sometimes during the day (maybe 1-2 times) my DHCP lease in Windows 10 is renewed (excluding times when DHCP lease expires) and I do not know whether or not this is due to connection being lost. I have already disabled all energy savings modes of the network adapter. I tried running ProSET cable test and the results showed that cable was in excellent shape, the only thing that bothers me is that the cable length results shows cable length at 37m (in first run) or 56m (in all subsequent runs). Could this indicate any problems with my cable run?

Additional info: if I unplug the cable from router the test shows correct cable length (error at 15m). Speedtest.net results for internet speed are always fine (506/96 mbit for the connection rated at 500/100 mbit), while ping is 0 or 1ms (if I run speedtest.net on android tv box that is connected to the same router with approxiamtelly 15m of cat5.e cable the ping results are 2ms).  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Ksteg1, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Since router is locked, have you had the ISP check the DHCP configurations. What is the time of the DHCP lease? This can be found using "ipconfig /all" in command prompt. The machine will renew it's IP address when 50% of the lease time has passed, so a 24 hour lease being renewed once or twice in a 24 hour period would not be unusual. Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to investigate this issue with the cable test. 1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2- Open SSU.exe 3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". 4- When finished scanning, click "Next". 5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
KSteg1
Beginner

DHCP lease time is set to 24 hours. But for example, two days ago the lease was firstly obtained at 6.55 AM and when I checked my computer at 8 PM it showed that the lease was (also) obtained at 7.35 PM. I am not sure if the lease should have been obtained at exactly 12 hours or 12.30 hours is also OK.

In meantime I disabled some offload settings of the network adapter (as shown in attached log).

0 Kudos
KSteg1
Beginner

You can disregard my question. I decided to change cables. I used Cat6 solid cable to connect my router and internet plug in the room. I also enabled all energy saving options of I219-v and everything works fine now.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Ksteg1, Thank you for the reply. Glad you could solve this issue with a different cable. Currently we do not have test feedback for cat 7 using the PROSet testing tools. This could be the reason for the difference in the cat 6 and cat 7 results. We could check if the tool is optimized for cat 7 if you would like to know. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Ksteg1, Please let us know if you still have any concerns regarding the cable test or the DHCP lease time. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
KSteg1
Beginner

Hello, I don't have any concerns. Everything works as expected.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Ksteg1, Thank you for the reply. Glad everything is working as expected. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos