Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I219-V looses 1Gb/s connection when streaming video

HMaas
Beginner

Hi,

I have an ASUS Pro Gaming mainboard, i7, 16Gb ram, W10 x64 with an integrated Intel NIC I219-V

When streaming large data, for example look at video movies from Youtube, it looses it's 1Gb/s connection with the switch.

When setting the NIC on 100Mb/s then there is no problem. Also when setting the read buffer from default 256 to 512 in advanced settings, it takes a lot longer before it fails.

Latest driver from Intel installed. Another NIC from other Vendor work fine on 1Gb/s, so external hardware is not the issue.

Other older drivers, also from ASUS itself has no positive effect.

Whats wrong ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi HansM,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. Please refer to below information:

1) Just to double check if the speed mode is set to auto-nego or forced to Gigabit speed?

2) Try change the "Transmit Buffers" from "512" to "128", for the Receive Buffer change to 512

3) Turn off "Energy Efficient Ethernet"

4) You may refer to this website for the advance setting

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005593/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

5) Have you tried using latest driver from Asus* website (I understand you mentioned older driver from Asus has no positive effect).

Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
HMaas
Beginner

Hello Sharon,

Changing the settings as you indicated have positive effect, only the connection fails after 2 hours of Youtube video streaming, instead of

few minutes. Parallel i have a continuous dos box with ping command -t to my gateway. When it fails, pinging goes in time out.

When i disconnect the network cable and put it back into the Pc, it stays reporting time out, although in ipconfig it has still the same

dynamic Ip address. I think it is a combination between 2 devices, the Pc and the Router, Sitecom WLR4100 it is connected to.

Summary ;

- auto-nego or forced to Gigabit doesn't make any difference

- "Transmit Buffers" from "512" to "128", for the Receive Buffer change to 512 does, sure Transmit to 128 !

- "Energy Efficient Ethernet" set of

- At this moment i installed and use the latest Intel drivers 22.10.3.0

I will do some tests more :-)

Hans

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HansM,

Thank you for the update and glad to know the connection improved. I would suggest you to contact Asus* for customized driver and check on the physical aspect as they are in better position to support the onboard NIC on their system. Hope to hear good news from you.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HansM,

Please feel free to update me if you have contacted Asus* and if further assistance needed?

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
HMaas
Beginner

Hello Sharon, i have good news !

After long testing, i solved the problem. (i am a technician myself..)

First system summery ;

Mainboard ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming with CPU Intel i7

Memory 16Gb HyperX Predator DDR4 at 3200Mhz, XML

Integrated Intel i219-V onboard Lan controller with latest Intel driver 22.10.3.0

2x 250Gb SSD

2x 2 TB HDD

OS Windows 10 64bit, last build upgrade and up to date.

used Browser : Google Chrome, latest version

Problem : when streaming video, for example YouTube movies for say 30min to several hours, randomly the connection from Pc to internet gets lost,

when pinging, constant time out occurs .

Option to do : reset Intel LAN adpater or restart W10, it runs fine for some hours, then same problem.

CAUSE ;

Google Chrome Browser (with other browsers NO problem, IE or Edge, this were the ones i had installed)

Why ?

Google Chrome Browser uses at the background an experimental protocol, the QUIC protocol.

This causes random that the connection of the Intel i219-V crashes !

When disable this protocol in Chrome, find it at this page, "chrome://flags/" (default its on), then all the problems are gone !!!!!

I am happy again

and nothing is wrong with the hardware !

Maybe Intel can make a new driver to solve this problem with the rediculous Chrome QUIC protocol

Note : I also have an extra Realtek LAN controller in this Pc, this one did not have problems with Chrome QUIC

Hope i could help you and a lot of other people........

This topic can be closed

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HansM,

Thank you for the update and it is indeed a good news the issue is resolved. Thank you for sharing this useful information, this will surely help and benefit others in case they have the same issue.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos