4811 Discussions

I225-V Packet losses after Windows update

Jaaba
Beginner

Hello,

Couple days ago I had two automatic driver updates to Windows 10/64 bit:

Intel - Net - 1.0.2.6

Intel - Net - 12.19.0.16

Since then I have got lots of packet losses from my Ethernet controller (I225-V). A good example to show is my ten minute run on PingPlotter:

https://share.pingplotter.com/3TmuwHqoam6

Needless to say, the PC use suffers quite much from this. I seem to be getting "Not connected" messages from nearly every server. Online gaming is also impossible at the moment.

After the update I have turned off (unplugged from power) all the devices in my network chain, my switch and fiber modem. Nothing has helped.

I have an Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING motherboard.

Where should I start searching for the solution to my problem?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
6kbyte
Novice

Finally someone else with this problem, thank you for your post! 

Iam struggling with the same issue since the v1.2.0.6 driver update and and I have tried next to everything to a solution. I have two systems: system 1 with a asus b550-e mainboard/amd ryzen 5900x cpu and system 2 with a asus b550-e mainboard/amd ryzen 3600 cpu. Both systems are running with default/stock settings, newest bios and a fresh installed windows 10 pro - both systems had massive packet loss during gaming (unplayable) since the "Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V" v1.2.06 driver-update forced by Windows 10. Driver v1.0.1.4 worked perfectly. The funny thing is, browsing and desktop usage is okay - maybe it depends on cpu load, iam not sure. Very strange and annoying behavior. Unfortunately I can't see which firmware is installed, because I have no idea where to look at. 

0 Kudos
Zlac
Beginner

I have the same problem. Everything was working fine, then Windows 10 forced a network driver update to 1.0.2.6 and my connection now just drops randomly throughout the day. It's like the network card shuts down and restarts itself (network icon shows nothing connected for a couple of seconds)

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

Turning EEE or Powermanagement settings off doesnt help - i still have the same issues.

@Zlac : which motherboard do you have? packet loss too or just random disconnects? have tried using the old driver to confirm its not your internet connection?

0 Kudos
Zlac
Beginner

@6kbyte  ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F. I installed the older 1.0.0.13 driver again and no issues so far. Now to figure out how to stop Windows from randomly updating the driver...

Don't know about packet loss, have just noticed the random disconnects all day until I downgraded driver and everything seems fine again. My other devices have not had any problems so it's not my connection.

0 Kudos
RBF
New User

Same Motherboard, same issue. It is for sure this driver update, whenever I reinstall the old driver it works flawless again.

0 Kudos
Jaaba
Beginner

I can confirm from my side too that the driver rollback seems to cure the problem.  Therefore, we just need to wait for a better driver then.

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

A statement from intel would be nice!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please be informed that the software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM), like Asus, HP, Acer etc. might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer.

Since you mentioned that the issue only occurs using latest driver from Intel, this is most likely to be an incompatibility issue with Asus motherboard. Please allow me to check this request with our engineers and ask for their insights.

But before that, we may need to get the firmware version of the I225-V controller. In case you have no way on getting the firmware version of the controller, kindly provide the System Support Utility log of your system. We will check if the firmware will be captured on the logs. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your replies.

To give you enough time on this, we will follow up after 4 business days for the information requested.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Jaaba
Beginner

Dear Crisselle,

thank you for your reply. As me and the other writers in this thread mentioned, the driver update came automatically via Windows Update procedure, hence the surprise the problems began.

Luckily the driver rollback procedure worked well, so we (probably all) got our PCs up and running as they used to.

Attached is the scan result according to your instructions.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

0 Kudos
animatedr0x
New User

Same Problem here, on Asus ROG Strix B550 F Gaming, after Windows Update automatically installs "Intel - Net - 1.0.2.6" i experience the same problems.

Installing the Driver that came with the Motherboard fixes this issue, until Windows Update installs "Intel - Net - 1.0.2.6" again.

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

I also have the Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING motherboard.  You have to apply the firmware file 1.4.5 from their support website.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

After, uninstall the current driver then install the 1.0.1.4 driver from ASUS.  This is absolutely gross but it works... kind of.  You won't get disconnects anymore but will still get packet lost.. but not as much.

Note: That Windows update will keep trying to install the new update. 

Intel pls fix this once and for all to all current users of this NIC card.

To learn more about this issue, reference to this thread related to I225-V issues:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-Network-I225-V-Nework-issue-persist-even-after-FW-upgrade/td-p/1189493

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

Every little bit packet loss absolutly unacceptable!

@Caguicla_Intel : thank you very much for your response and that you are trying to help us. I do not want to be rude, but i dont want to share the ssu.exe txe-file with the whole internet downloadable for all. it contains serial-numbers, pc-names, windows login-names and ip/mac-adresses - I really hope that this is not intels way of security. Is it possible to send you the files directly or to delete certain data? For your information: ssu.exe it is not able to read-out the I225-V firmware-version! As user mentioned before, windows 10 update is forcing this buggy update - we need a solution here as fast as possible.

0 Kudos
RBF
New User

I kind of want to agree with the complaints of everyone else. The idea that OEM companies are the reason is usually the first cop out from companies.

So I think it is important to note that the reliable drivers that everyone is using and getting off of Asus's website is "DRV_LAN_Intel_I225_UWD_TP_W10_64_V1014_20200507R" which if I am not mistaken is just the previous version that intel put out, at least based on the numbering it seems to be the previous update. Which in one of the posts the user clearly stated "this driver works, this one doesn't and was forced through windows"

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for the replies.

Please allow me to further investigate the issue with our engineers. Rest assured that we will closely look into this matter and get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

Here's a screenshot that shows Windows Update and the version number that everyone is talking about which is still messing up their I225-V.  This needs to be fixed and resolved once and for all for the I225-V!

VipeNess_0-1606341976720.png

0 Kudos
jay960
New User

Hello,

Same problem here. With an Asus Z490-I

The simple solution would be to reinstall the old driver however Windows update keep intalling the new driver  even if I unthick the "driver installation with windows update" in the system options...

What can I do to prevent not installing new driver with windows update...?

0 Kudos
Zlac
Beginner

@jay960 What worked for me was the following:

1. Open Device Manager, (Right click Start menu -> Device Manager).
  2. Find the Intel network card and double click it.
  3. Select the Driver tab.
  4. Click Roll Back Driver

After I did this Windows has not attempted to install the new driver again.

0 Kudos
jay960
New User

@Zlac 

Thanks for your input. It is strange because for me the "Rollback option" is greyed. So the only way is to uninstall the driver and install the old one manually. However after that I have Windows update which force me to update it again... I still can refuse to install it if I want but as soon as I have anther Windows update it will automatically install the driver with it... strange thing...

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

The question is not how to reinstall/lock the old driver or why windows 10 is pushing this update - the question is why intel again has problems with the I225-V chip/driver!? In my opinion its not Microsoft or ASUS fault - its just INTEL! The problems with the I225-V have been around for a loooong time and again and again users complain that something is not working correctly even with the supposedly fixed versions/stepping of the chip. Most of the time there are only excuses from intel - they say that their technicians have not found any problems or other things/manufacturers are to blame. This has been going on for months now and its sad...

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

This topic was deleted by INTEL and has now been reactivated. It was 6-7 pages long before and had thousends of views and users with problems (all new drivers, all firmwares). MOD @Caguicla_Intel  committed that this problem was a high priority case and the engineers working on it but has not informed us further. 2-3 months just silence and quite big ignorance by INTEL!

SO... @INTEL @ALL MODS , WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATUS???

0 Kudos