Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I225-v speed capped at 100Mbps

DanielSa
Beginner

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm having an issue which appears to be quite common, but none of the workarounds I could find in this forum or elsewhere seem to work.

My intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V is unable to work at any speed higher than 100 Mbps (though the advertised speeds for my MOBO is 2.5GB, which is ASUS FORMULA XII EXTREME, which i bought very recently with Asus as vendor).

I tried updating everything, even setting the negotiation manually to 1GB and 2.5GB with full duplex, still nothing, won't go up faster than 100mb/s, I'm using a cat6e cable so that's not the issue, my other computers on the same LAN are at 500mb/s-700mb/s and even with the wi-fi on any phone I can get up to 200mb/s so it's clearly an issue with the Ethernet controller/HW.

With the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility I don't get any errors on the "Hardware Tests", but I do get an error on the "Connection Tests" at the second Test:

"Connection Test Results [10/26/2020 10:48:03 AM] :
Connection Status : Passed
Successfully pinged Gateway address 192.168.1.254
Cable Link Status : Failed
Link speed: 100Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.

I've already updated all my drivers and firmware with the software from Intel and Asus official repositories

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?wapkw=%20I225-V 

https://www.asus.com/ru/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XII-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/https://www.asus.com/es/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z490-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ 

I'm attaching the logs from SSU, since I assume you will ask for those.

Could you please provide me any solution to this issue? I have already tried everything you suggested in the same thread https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-R-Ethernet-Controller-I225-V-capped-at-100Mbps/td-p/1212285, but nothing helped =(

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello DanielSa,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Upon checking SSU, you are using Windows 10 PRO. Kindly try our latest generic driver and check if the speed will improve.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=184676

By the way, are you using onboard I225-V? If you are using PCI card, kindly send a picture of the card on both side focusing on the markings for me to validate the card.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
DanielSa
Beginner

Dear Michael,

Thx for your prompt reply and apologies for delay in my feedback.

I am using onboard I225-V (no PCI card).

I have tried all the drivers - currently I have 1.0.1.8 driver and it didn't help a lot. Thus I decided do apply method, which is shown in every movie about Russians (especially in Armageddon movie): i unplugged and plugged in Ethernet cable and miracle...when i unplugged for about 50th time and plugged in for 51st, the speed got good.

I am afraid to unplug it once more=)

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello DanielSa,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to make a follow up on the information that I requested for me to further assist you.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
DanielSa
Beginner

Dear Michael,

Unfortunately, i had to replu the ethernet cable and...the preoblem is back.

My speed is capped at 100 Mbps again.

0 Kudos
DanielSa
Beginner

Dear Michael,

Fixed the problem and the solution was absolutely the same: I was plugging out and plugging in the Ethernet cable (in PC)  again and again. For about 20th time my PC determined the connection as it should be.

Since the problem might return after reboot/repluggin the Ethernet cable I am still willing to have a better solution  for this problem.

I am attaching a new SSU file, generated when my PC determines the connection as it should and doesn't cap the speed at 100 Mbps.

Hope this helps and looking forward to your reply.

Faithfully yours,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello DanielSa,

Thank you for the update. At this point, it is best to contact the manufacturer of the board for the fix since the network card is embedded in the board.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello DanielSa,

I hoe you are having a good day. I just want to check if you already tried to contact the manufacturer of the board for further support.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello DanielSa,

I am just sending another follow up hoping that you are now talking to the manufacturer of the board for further support. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos