Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

I225V connected to NetGear XS724EM losing connection with OEM and Intel drivers Win10

blogthis
New Contributor I

My problematic setup:

1. Windows 10 v21H2 Enterprise with May, June, July 2022 Microsoft quality update/patch (NOTE: This has been a very long-time problem).

2. Netgear XS724EM with firmware 1.0.2.0. (NOTE: Early release of this switch had known compatibility issue on its SFP+ 10G ports with Intel SFP+ 10G NIC's but that was patched in firmware, and also is NOT relevant to this 2.5G copper configuration).

3. Asus motherboard ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO, with Intel Z590 chipset

3b. Intel i225v stepping/revision-3 of the i225v dual-port NIC chipset. Both ports are being used; 1of2 is DHCP force-set to 1G speed, 2of2 is Static IP to different subnet force-set to 2.5G speed (as work-around to avoid the problems described below).

3c. Intel i225v shows "NVM version 1.87 (1.57)" using old NVM check-update tool from Asus intended for z490 chipset using old rev1-2 of i225v (NO I did NOT downgrade the firmware just used it to ask what version I have now).

4. Using long runs of Cat6 cables at 225-feet; I have tested good end-to-end.

5. Using Thunderbolt 3 docking station which has an extra intel 1G ethernet port but I have that disabled.

***TOPOLOGY***

The Netgear XS724EM switch is capable of 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G on 24 ports of Rj45 copper; the 2 ports of SFP+ 10G are shared with last 2 ports of copper RJ45, and are both connected in SFP 1G mode using LACP to a Cisco SG300-24 secondary switch with official name-brand SFP modules (for clarity the Cisco switch is NOT connected to the adversely affected i225v ports directly).

The two Asus motherboard i225v ports are directly connected to this Netgear switch, no VLAN's, basic config.

***DRIVERS***

4. The following drivers were tested and ALL have a disconnect issue (e.g. physical link status shows up but Windows driver after a random period of time and usage will flip to status showing its down with full loss of connectivity for no known reason with physical link light still showing up; I elaborate on this further down below):

4a. Asus OEM drivers 1.0.x.8 (from Asus website).

4b. Intel Wired 27.3.

4c. Intel Wired 27.4 (Windows 10 device manager shows version 1.1.3.28).

***WORKAROUND (which is terrible should not have to do this)***

1. Disable ALL i225v Power Save.

2. Disable ALL i225v Auto-Negotiation.

***ISSUE***

If you do not disable link speed auto-negotiate, and power save, then:

When using the Intel drivers, or the ASUS OEM version of the Intel drivers, the network connection will get dropped and show as disconnected on Windows.

The driver does not show an error and the switch shows the connection as "live", and the link lights are lit on the Asus motherboard i225v ports, but the connection will randomly drop and be shown as "no network" in Windows.

***Windows 10 BEHAVIOR***

When this happens, One of the following can happen (randomly):

1a. Must reboot, i225v will wake up for anywhere between a few seconds to a few hours until it drops again.

1b. Sometimes reboot is insufficient, must power-off and unplug for a few moments to fully reset all motherboard components (like the integrated i225v).

2a. When trying to shutdown or reboot Windows 10, the system will abnormally hang for a very long time.

2b. Sometimes when trying to shutdown or reboot Windows 10, after Windows shows connection down, Windows 10 may crash with BSOD.  WinDbg of crashdump shows Intel driver timeout error. I wish i still had this to provide but have wiped/reloaded several times.

***Windows 11 BEHAVIOR***

Tried clean wipe and used Windows 11 Pro (for extra testing).

Noticed the Intel Wired 27.4 installs different "version 2.x.x.x" series of driver, and Microsoft's default/OOTB driver is 1.0.x.14 (instead of 1.0.x.8).

Same results, except Windows 11 is somehow, slightly less-likely to crash than Windows 10 during negotiation of link speed to Negear only if I continue to leave the OOTB Win11 driver, but it crashes a lot more often with the wired intel driver 27.4 updates; and, I cannot use Win11 for various reasons including my not liking it as much as Win10 (e.g. not all OEM drivers and software are updated to support Win11 for my config yet regardless).

***HELP***

Are there any ideas on why this Intel i225v chipset seems to not be able to reliably auto-negotiate up to its full 2.5G link speed with the Negear XS724EM switch?

Is there a newer Asus NVM intel firmware (OEM version for i225v rev3), available to try?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We appreciate your effort in providing us detailed description of your situation and we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing connections issues on your I225V. 

Please provide the following information for some clarifications and details that would help with the investigation. 

1. Can you confirm that the issue we are trying to resolve is on your Windows 10 OS?

2. Have you tried using the 1.0.2.8 driver version that can be downloaded from your board manufacturer's site?

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xiii-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

3. We've tried looking for NVM from Asus site and unfortunately, we weren't able to find any. With this, can you share if you have tried contacting Asus for the NVM? 

We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Asus system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, we'd like to set your expectation that we might have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

You may also check this link for Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V. The driver and NVM should be obtained from board manufacturer's website. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

4. Can you share at which speed are you able to establish connection on your I225V when the Auto Negotiation is disabled?

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Hi,

Answers inline to your questions below marked with>>

Please provide the following information for some clarifications and details that would help with the investigation. 

1. Can you confirm that the issue we are trying to resolve is on your Windows 10 OS?

>> Yes, Windows 10 version 21h2.

2. Have you tried using the 1.0.2.8 driver version that can be downloaded from your board manufacturer's site?

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xiii-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

>> Yes, this is what I meant in my post by saying I tried the "OEM" driver that did not help.

3. We've tried looking for NVM from Asus site and unfortunately, we weren't able to find any. With this, can you share if you have tried contacting Asus for the NVM? 

>> I'm running a newer version of the NVM firmware than Asus has available from Intel.  Asus tech support provided the link but the Intel-Asus tool said NOT to downgrade, because it was released for Rev 1 or Rev 2 of the i225v chipset used with z490, but I'm running Rev 3 with my newer motherboard z590, so it does not apply to my chipset.

3b. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, we'd like to set your expectation that we might have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system.

>> I did contact Asus, but they said Intel compatibility for Multi-Gig on i225v has been ongoing issue for years, and they pointed me to Intel for Intel to perform i225v chipset compatibility testing and likely i225v NVM update for better compatibility with Netgear Multi-Gig switch model XS724EM with firmware 1.0.2.0.

3c. You may also check this link for Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V. The driver and NVM should be obtained from board manufacturer's website. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-etherne...

>> Yes, that is the link that Asus support pointed me to, along with their hidden-link (only given as-needed) to the Intel NVM firmware update, but as mentioned; the intel NVM tool will not run, saying it does not apply to my chipset because it is only for i225v Rev 1 or Rev 2, installed in the z490 series boards; but, my newer board is z590 and has the Intel i225v Rev 3 instead.  In other words, this tool would be a Downgrade and Asus said NOT to do that because I have NVM made for Rev3 of i225v.  And, Asus said this is likely a compatibility problem with my Netgear XS724EM Multi-Gig switch, using the latest NVM from Asus, and latest OEM driver from Asus and latest Intel Driver directly from Intel (e.g. wired 27.4), and to contact Intel for possible NVM update for Rev3 of i225v.

4. Can you share at which speed are you able to establish connection on your I225V when the Auto Negotiation is disabled?

>> I'm able to Manually connect at every speed with Both Power-Save and Auto-Negotiation are disabled, e.g. 1.0G and 2.5G work and system is stable with those manually set.

So, back to my primary question:

Does Intel have a newer version of NVM firmware, for my i225v Rev-3, than its current "NVM version 1.87 (1.57)"?  

*Note, this is the version I'm running, as reported by the Intel NVM update tool (provided by Asus support), shown before it aborts saying it will not downgrade to the intel NVM tool's lower-version.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you received our initial response. If you do, please confirm and provide the information requested for us to continue checking your query. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.  

Should there be no reply, I’ll make sure to reach out on after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Yes I still need help, I replied to your initial response yesterday above. Please continue your assistance.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Thank you for the detailed response. 

We will escalate this request to our engineers and further check if we have NVM for I225-V that we can provide. We'd like to set your expectation that we cannot guarantee anything as the NVM should be coming from the manufacturer.

Please expect an update within 3 business days. We will further check this with our engineers. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Thank you very much!!

Regarding your comment: "NVM should be coming from the manufacturer."

Also, can you please:

1. Be sure to inform Intel engineering I'm running i225v Stepping/Rev-3 (not the older Rev1/2).

2. Ask Intel engineering if they have tested i225v rev-3 with the NetGear switch XS724EM firmware 1.0.2.0 (auto-negotiating at 225feet)?

3. Ask Intel engineering if they do have a newer i225v rev-3 NVM than my version (that is SPECIFIC to Asus with Intel Z590 chipsets)?

**If not, I've had really great luck with the generic Intel video drivers working on all my devices so I am hopeful this issue is resolved in a newer NVM for i225v rev-3.

IMPORTANT - I failed to mention:

a.) You must also DISABLE AUTO-FLOW CONTROL.

b.) The Windows 10 version 21h2 crash/BSOD when rebooting if Auto Negotiate and Auto Flow enabled:  DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Please pass that on to Engineering as well.

Thanks again for any new i225v NVM firmware version to try!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

How are you doing? I hope you're having a good day!

Please be advised that this request is still escalated to our engineering team for further checking. We will give you an update once we heard from them but no later than 3 business days.  

Thank you for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Good day!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as our engineering team is still thoroughly checking on this. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

I hope you'll be having an amazing weekend ahead!

We'd like to inform you that we are still actively working on this issue with our higher level Engineers. We understand that this is taking longer that you expect and rest assured that we are doing our best to sort this out as soon as possible. 

Please expect another update for the status of this request within 3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Good day!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are still thoroughly checking on this. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

How are you doing?

Please be informed that this request is still under investigation. We sincerely apologize for the delay and rest assured that we will let you know once we heard from our engineers. 

Please expect another update for the status of this request within 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Apologies for the delay on this matter. 

Our engineering team is still looking into this. Thank you for giving us time to look on this request. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as there is any findings but no later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your kind cooperation. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below feedback from our engineering and let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Please be informed that the latest i225 NVM version currently is 1.89. However, this is for the chipset itself. If you are looking SPECIFIC to Asus with Intel Z590 chipset, all firmware should come from the manufacturer. We do not recommend using this as you might lose features or customizations of your Ethernet controller.

As for the rest of your questions, we are still waiting update from engineering and we will give you an update no as soon as we heard from them but no later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Good day!

Please be informed that we are still waiting for the feedback from our engineering team. Rest assured that we will communicate it to you as soon as we heard from them.

Please expect another update no later than 3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

I hope this message finds you well!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are thoroughly checking with our engineers. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Good day!

We'd like to inform you that we are still checking this query with our engineers. We understand that this is taking longer than you expect and rest assured that we are making a close follow up to our engineers in regards to this request. 

Please expect another update for the status of this request no later than 3 business days. 

Thank you for your kind cooperation. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

After further validation of our engineers, please be informed that this is a PHY compatibility issue between I225-v3 and Netgear switch after you updated Netgear firmware to the latest release.

The IPG on I225 that Asus pointed out is nothing to do with this issue. I225-v3 has resolved the issue. However, NVM 1.57 is quite an old version, and getting a new I225 NVM might help with the problem. Unfortunately, Intel cannot release the NVM update tool to end-users because it must come from the manufacturer after they finish validation and integration.

On the other hand, you mentioned that you previously contacted ASUS, can you share if you have the Asus support case number? We might be able to inform Asus to start to develop firmware update capability to help on this case.

Additionally, please share the Asus support engineer contact information (i.e Name) and we will need this to talk to our Asus contact in engineering.

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you read our previous update. If yes, please confirm and provide the additional details we request so we can re-escalate this query to our engineers. In case you have questions or clarifications, please let us know and we will be glad to assist you. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello blogthis, 

I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
blogthis
New Contributor I

Hello,

After waiting weeks for Intel reply, I finally received a reply - UNFORTUNATELY right when Hurricane Ian struck where I live, and I had to evacuate for a week.  This emergency evac caused me to miss the 3-day reply requested by Intel support.

Under my circumstances, can this please be re-opened, so I do not have to start over again??

To address the above questions:

1.) Asus insists that all updates for Intel firmware came from Intel, and pointed me to this form.

2.) Can you please clarify what version I'm running, the output from the Intel NVM update tools shows:  "NVM version 1.87 (1.57)"

3.) You mentioned I'm running version 1.57 (number in the parenthesis), so what is the 1.87 number?

You are my only hope, because Asus has gone to another non-Intel vendor for different 2.5g chipset on their newer motherbaords due to all these problems with this i225v chipset

Is there any possible way for Intel to provide the newer NVM firmware, and let me take my own chances?  I am willing to try anything, because Asus does not care about this issue anymore - as mentioned above, they've dropped support for i225v entirely on new models.

If you do not help, this motherboard is going into the trash anyway - so I might as well TRY anything you can provide.

Thank you!!

0 Kudos