Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies

I350 PCIE

彦厉
Beginner

hi all,

I got a question with I350 T4.

if I use a x1 pcie as host interface,dose four MDI work together?

wish your answer,thank you !

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi 李,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. The PCI interface refers to the slot where you plug the I350-T4 server adapter while the MDI is relevant to the port interface for the RJ45 cable connection. Can you help clarify what do you mean by the four MDI will work if using X1 pcie-E interface?

The I350-T4 server adapter supports x4, x8 and x16 PCI-e interface (Please refer to the product brief at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-products/gigabit-server-adapters/ethernet-i350-server-adapter-brief.html?wapkw=i350), if you plug I350-T4 on a X1 interface, you may want to verify with the board vendor for the compatibility of the NIC on the x1 interface.

Looking forward to your reply so that we can better assist.

Regards,

Sharon T

彦厉
Beginner

Hi Sharon T ,

Thanks for your reply.

As we konw,The PCIe v2.1 (5GT/s) Interface is used by the I350 as a host interface. The interface can be configured to x4, x2 and x1.

In my board,if the CPU connect I350 with PCIE x1 interface,can four copper Network Interfaces work at the same time?

In other words,

0 Kudos
彦厉
Beginner

Hi Sharon T ,

Thanks for your reply.

As we konw,The PCIe v2.1 (5GT/s) Interface is used by the I350 as a host interface. The interface can be configured to x4, x2 and x1.

In my board,if the CPU connect I350 with PCIE x1 interface,can four copper Network Interfaces work at the same time?

In other words, Can the CPU communicate with 4 PCs at the same time?

Regards

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-539532-471021/pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi 李,

Thank you for the reply. We recommend to plug the network adapter to the slot that matches or exceeds the bus width of the adapter,please refer to the link below for reference information

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005811/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005811/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

As mentioned based on the product brief, I350-T4 supports x4, x8 and x16 PCI-e interface (slot). The ports will work but there is the possibility of performance downgrade due to the limited bandwidth of X1 interface. It would be advisable to check with your board vendor for compatibility also.

Can you clarify also about CPU communicate with 4 PCs at the same time, are you trying to connect the 4 ports on I350-T4 to 4 different PCs? e.g. port 1 to PC1, port 2 to PC2 and so on?

I will further check in case there is information to share.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
彦厉
Beginner

Hi Sharon T

Thank you very much!

Can you clarify also about CPU communicate with 4 PCs at the same time, are you trying to connect the 4 ports on I350-T4 to 4 different PCs? e.g. port 1 to PC1, port 2 to PC2 and so on?

YES,the CPU communicate with 4 PCs at same time,Port1 to PC1,Port2 to PC2...

as followed,

about the performance with x1 pcie,I will buy a NIC , and do a test.

thank you again!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi 李.

Thank you for the reply and glad to be of help. The CPU will communicate with the 4 PCs at same time, Port 1 to PC1, port 2 to PC2 and so on. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi 李.

Please feel free to update me if the information provided was able to answer your concern and if you have test the NIC. Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
彦厉
Beginner
0 Kudos