Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

I350-T2 keep getting e1rexpress disconnection error, any tools to find cause?

SimoHauml
Beginner

PC: Lenovo P520

Issue: We have I350-T4 installed before. Some ports kept getting e1rexpress disconnection error. Then we replaced one I350-T4 card with two I350-T2 cards. However, same error still happens on one of the ports.

Is there any tool can help monitoring the nic to find cause?

Here is the error log:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="e1rexpress" />
<EventID Qualifiers="40964">27</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-02-19T22:30:01.976753100Z" />
<EventRecordID>32862</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>P520-SiPM</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data />
<Data>Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2 #4</Data>
<Binary>0000040002003000000000001B0004A00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001B0004A0</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we provide you any of our recommendations, can we request for you to provide us a picture of the markings both front and back of the reported Network Adapter so that we can check if this would be a retail card or 3rd party OEM.

Can we also request for you to provide an SSU (System Support Utility) log so we can check for any unusual behavior.

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log

4. You can paste the log on this thread.

Also as per checking, the I350-T2 this has been already discontinued so we have limited support on this however we will try to provide you our best effort on this. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Hi Zig,

Thanks for your help. Below is the pic you required. And SSU scan log is attached.

微信图片_20220224183329.jpg微信图片_20220224183336.jpg

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Thank you very much for providing us the information that we have asked. Please provide us some time to have your card validated and read through the logs before providing you our recommendations.  

Is it okay if we can ask between 2-3 business days to provide you an update? Once we have all the information that we need we will notify you immediately instead. If you have a preferred date please do advise us. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Thanks, Zigfreid. Take your time to do the investigation. Contact me anytime if you guys find or need anything.

Thank a lot and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Appreciate your effort in sharing the information requested. 

Please see below information for our feedback regarding the SSU and your Ethernet card. We also have additional information needed below to further isolate the issue and we hope you don't mind sharing it with us. 

1. Based on the logs shared, you are using Driver package 26.4. With this, we'd like to check if you already tried installing latest driver (27.0) package from our download site below?

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

2. We noticed that your motherboard comes with Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM. Have you tried connecting the LAN cable to this controller and check if the issue is also present?

3. Looking at the Technical Specifications of your Lenovo P520, it has wireless connection. With this, have you tried testing the connection using wireless to further isolate the issue?

https://www.lenovo.com/my/en/workstations/thinkstation-p-series/ThinkStation-P520/p/33TS3TPP520

4. Based on SSU, the Part number of your Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2 is H47819-002. This could be a Retail unit but looking at the photos provided, it doesn't have a Yottamark or BradyId ID stickers which is an indication that it is a genuine Intel card. 

You may check this link for the List of Supported Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Visit this link to learn ore about YottaMark* and BradyID* Stickers on Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

We'd like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet adapter, we might have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

Here are the additional questions we mentioned above.

5. How often does the issue occurs?

6. You mentioned that 'We have I350-T4 installed before. Some ports kept getting e1rexpress disconnection error.'

Can you confirm if you are able to identify which port is having this issue? Is the issue coming from one specific port out of the 4/2 ports or your cards? 

7. What is the cable type used? Have you tried using different cable to check if the issue would still occur?

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Hoping to hear from you. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Thanks for your reply. Below is what I can provide now.

1. I haven't installed that driver yet, will try it later.

2. I have connected the LAN cable to this controller, about 12 hours ago. There is one disconnection till now. I will keep it connected to this controller for a few days and see what happens.

3. Wireless is not tried. The other side of the cable is a computer running Windows 7 without wireless. The two PCs are directly linked with the cable.

4. Not sure about this. The I350-T2 controller was not purchased by me. I will try to confirm this with corresponding personnel.

5. Quite often. Please refer to the attached windows log.

6. The I350-T4 controller has been uninstalled. I am testing controller I219-LM now, please refer to my anwer to your question NO. 2.

I can reinstall I350-T4 after some conclusion can be made for I350-T2.

7. The cable was purchased from a third-party manufacture and I am not aware of its type for now. Will try to confirm this later.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Thank you very much for providing us all the information that we have asked. Since you are still testing out your network controller to give you enough time is it ok if we can get an update within 2-3 business days. Alternatively if you already have results and if the issue is also apparent on the embedded network controller as well please do inform us immediately instead. 

Also please do check if the issue will still be apparent once you have tried installing latest driver (27.0) package from our download site. Check the wireless connection (if possible) if the issue is also apparent and please do advise us what type of cable are you using for this.  

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Yes, I need more days (2 ~ 3 days at least) to verify if disconnection won't happen on the embedded controller I219-LM.

For wireless, our P520 workstation is a customized version for production environment and doesn't have wireless module. Therefor, wireless test won't be available. Please be aware of this.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Thank you very much for advising us, we shall await for the results of your test. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to check if there's an update from the testing's that you have done for your embedded network controller. If you need more time please advise us. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Thanks for your concern on the issue.

After a discussion, out team decided to test the embedded controller for another week, so I will update this thread around next Friday (3/11 Beijing time).

Have a good day!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Thank you very much for advising us. We will wait for the update this coming Friday, March 11. Thank you and have a good day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

We'd like to check if there's an update from the testing's that you have done for your embedded network controller. If you still need our assistance please advise us. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

There was not disconnection issue with the embedded controller and I have switched the cable back to the I350-T2 card two days ago.

Now, disconnection emerges again.

Here is the timeline.

On Mar 10, 13:00:00, I switched the cable back to I350-T2 and reconfigured IPv4 settings.

No disconnection.

On Mar 11, 16:36:53, I reboot the PC.

On Mar 11, 18:42:49, the disconnection came back.

Screenshot 2022-03-12 154207.png

According to a discussion inside out team, I am going to switch the cables plugged onto this I350-T2 controller, to see if disconnection happens with specific port. After that, I will update to the latest driver you suggested. Or, do you guys have other suggestion?

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Thank you for responding and for providing us an update. Yes, please try using our latest driver and advise us if the issue will be resolved and if you will be noticing if the disconnection happens with specific port. 

Please do advise us as well if you have a specific time frame that you will be needing so we can get in touch with you accordingly. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Thanks Zigfreid!

I am going to switch the two cables plugged on the same I350-T2 controller according to the discussion in our team I mentioned, to check if the issues only happens on the specific port. After that I will update driver to the latest.

I will update this thread if have new info.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

Thank you very much for the update. Please advise us if you have a preferred date on when we can follow up with you. In case that we don't hear a response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days instead. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

We'd like to check if there's an update from your testing's. If you still need our assistance please advise us. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello SimoHauml,

We'd like to check if there's an update from your testing's. If you still need our assistance please advise us. 

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimoHauml
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

After switched the two cables, the disconnection exploded on the other port for about 3 days and then disappeared.

Then I tried several other cables, and found a cable with 0.5o higher then expected resistance, however I don't have the chance to test the cable that disconnection firstly found with.

Our team suspect the disconnection issue might come with cables.

For now, the cable is plugged to the I219-LM controller and it seems stable. I have to keep this status for a while because there are some other plan for the system. After that, I will try some other cables then update driver.

0 Kudos