Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

I350-T4 Intel OEM - SR-IOV - This device cannot find enough resources that it can use. (Code 12)

mbouv
Beginner

Hey everyone, here is what ive done so far to get to this error shown in the 2012 R2 HyperV VM device manager under device called INTEL(R) I350 Virtual Function, the HyperV host is running 2012 R2 as well with all latest windows patches

Ive enabled the SR-IOV in the BIOS of my motherboard Asus Z10PE D8 running the latest Bios version

I am using an SR-IOV capable Ethernet card I350-T4 Intel OEM

Ive installed the latest intel driver on the Hyperv host and VM

Ive enabled the SR-IOV feature at the driver level on the host under device manager > network card properties> Advanced > virtualization

Ive created a Virtual switch with SR-IOV enabled

Ive added a network adapter to the VM pointing to that SR-IOV enabled switch and under the VM network adapter menu Hardware acceleration, enabled SR-IOV there too

When I add the network card, the device called INTEL(R) I350 Virtual Function # 3 shows up in the VM as well as the MICROSOFT Hyper-V Network Adapter

The virtual function device has a warning symbol under device manager, it says: This device cannot find enough ressources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device you will need to disable one of the other deivces on this system

Any ideas what I am missing? I read online that some motherboard manufacture only enable SR-IOV on specific PCI ports, I looked at my motherboard documentation and there are no mention of this anywhere, only talks about the ENABLE DISABLE option in the bios that ive already enabled

And yes, the host and VM was rebooted multiple times during and after

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi kilimats,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

You have setup your VM successfully since you are seeing the virtual adapter in the VM. Did you create a Generation 1 or a Gen 2 VM?

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
mbouv
Beginner

THanks Sandy, the VM is a Gen2 VM yes, freshly loaded too with all latest windows update.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi kilimats,

Thanks for providing the details. I'll check on this and will get back to you once I have any updates.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Dear kilimats,

Good day. I would like to inform you that we are still investigating the problem with Gen2 VM configuration.

We would like to request for your NIC information. Please see below:

1. NIC EEPROM version number.

2. MM Number for the adapter.

MM number is located on the back of the adapter on a rectangular white sticker. It would be easier if you can provide us with a clear/high

resolution pictures of front and back of the adapter.

You can find the NIC EEPROM version number by running this command in the powershell window:

Get-IntelNetAdapter | select *

The powershell command (Get-Intelnetadapter) will be available if customer installed the powershell module via PROSet package.

Please let us know if you have any questions with the procedure.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Dear Kilimats,

Sorry for my late reply.

This issue is related to the errata reported in http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/63F37569-EA15-4A6E-972D-327095442E99/PCN111341-01.pdf PCN # 111341-01. I understand you are using an OEM adapter. Please check with the manufacturer to update your EEPROM.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
DKule
Beginner

Have same problem with SR-IOV and onboard i350 LAN of Supermicro X9SRH-7F MB, Windows Server 2012 R2, VM Gen2, using latest Intel Drivers version 20.3.48.0, and in Virtual Guest Machine two adapters "Intel(R) I350 Virtual Function" in warning state "Code 12".

I have update guest machine drivers to a latest version - 17.07.2013 / 1.4.5.4, "Code 12" still here.

But it seems to all work correctly (Hype-V manager shows SR-IOV Active).

What is the problem?

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Gektor,

For onboard adapters, you will need to contact your motherboard manufacturer for firmware update. Please refer to our website relating to this issue - http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/63F37569-EA15-4A6E-972D-327095442E99/PCN111341-01.pdf PCN # 111341-01.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos